slow full screen rendering of photographs

Jistme

I am wondering if this is due to my setup, or if others experience this too:

I am evaluating Daminion with a compact catalog, containing jpg's only, all residing on an ssd drive.

But when I double-click a thumbnail picture to view it full-screen, first it displays blurry low-res, and after maybe half a second it becomes detailed and at the correct resolution.

That seems a bit lackluster at this day and age and with my setup.

Is this known behavior with Daminion, or can I perhaps improve this myself by doing some tweaking?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the two Daminion issues, that make me switch to other tools. The half-second gap, that happens also in Preview window, even with small jpeg files, makes the program unusable (to me) for comparison of similar photo edits, where switching between a handful of images reveals subtle differences, but only if switching is instant. Like it is in the little IrfanView, that I am using, or Faststone or any other lightweight image viewer.

I am wondering if this is due to my setup, or if others experience this too:

I am evaluating Daminion with a compact catalog, containing jpg's only, all residing on an ssd drive.

But when I double-click a thumbnail picture to view it full-screen, first it displays blurry low-res, and after maybe half a second it becomes detailed and at the correct resolution.

That seems a bit lackluster at this day and age and with my setup.

Is this known behavior with Daminion, or can I perhaps improve this myself by doing some tweaking?

Hello Jistme!

Rendering speed depends on many factors:

- Location of the imported files (removal device, network folders)

- PC configuration (free RAM\CPU)

- File format and file size

- Active background processes

1. What Daminion version have you installed?

2. Please try to copy the problem files from your ssd to your PC, import them again into Daminion and check whether the problem is still there.

Daria

Thnx for your reply Daria.

My setup is not high-end, but very solid, working fine with all sorts of applications, varying from audio, video, database applications.

It has an i5 from a few generations back, 4GB ram, and Windows, Daminion, and the library all running from a local Samsung 850 EVO ssd.

The weakest point is probably the ATI HD4300 series graphics, but it's working fine with e.g. Photoshop, FastStone, etc.

Reading the other replies to my posting, there really seems to be something about Daminion's rendering engine that might need to be improved on?

Do you experience no image rendering delays at all with Daminion?

Hi Jistme,

Thanks for your feedback!

Yep, there are might be some delays when viewing large images or when images are located on a device with slow connection to your PC. Daminion at first displays 400x400 thumbnail of the import images, and then replace it by hi-quality preview. But usually it is quick enough.

Could you please you send me a sample JPEG image to support/at/daminion/dot/net?

I've also always had this behavior on my system, incomprehensibly: Windows 10 Pro, Core i7 74xx, NVIDIA GTX 970, 24 GB RAM, everything on a current SSD. Full images take a perceived 0.5 to 1 second to render. My 16 mega-pixel JPEGs are largish, saved at 97% quality and between 10 and 15 MB in size on average.

Could you please you send me a sample JPEG image to support/at/daminion/dot/net?

Hello Murat.

First of all, I really do appreciate Daminion a lot, I think it is a fantastic product, and am recommending it to anybody who is interested in such a product. (a friend already purchased it)

Currently (for unrelated reasons) I don't have Daminion running on my system anymore.

The photographs I was using when I noticed the slow rendering were from somebody's personal family library, so I am hesitant to share them.

But I can tell you it was a mix of rather low/standard resolution mobile phone photo's up till more hi-res consumer DSL photographs. All jpg, and nothing above approximately 6MB file size.

Reading the comments from others in this topic, I can't imagine the culprit is with my system or those specific photographs.

I'll see what you will come up with, and when I am re-installing Daminion in the future and the issue is still there, I am willing to give more feedback if required.

The full image rendering has been slow since build Daminion standalone 4.1.0.1280. I tested this build and later builds on three different systems.

Lenovo T60 with intel T7200 Windows 7 3GB ram on Samsung 840 EVO SSD and images on Seaagate 750 GB HDD SATA I

Lenovo W500 - intel T9600 8GB ram Windows and catalog on 850 EVO SSD and images on Seaagate 750 GB HDD SATA II

Recent (2014) Desktop Build Asus Q87/I5 4690 16 GB ram windows and catalog on Samsung EVO 840 EVO images on WD Black 2TB SATA III

I see 1-2 seconds rendering with the 1280 build and 3-8 seconds rendering with any later build, this is true with jpegs and with Nikon D7100 NEF files and is consistent across machines.

Movies of the issue were sent to Murat also, and I believe some improvement was made but as of now I sit on build 1280. Hope it get fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I also have permanently (since starting with DAMINION and on different computer) the problem with slow rendering of the photos in full screen view. It takes sometimes up to more then 1 second until the picture appears clear.

My current PC:

•  
  • I7-4790
  • 16 GB of RAM
  • Windows 10 64-bit
  • Photos stored on an internal WD-HDD SATA-III
  • DAMINION 4.6.1464

This "rendering issue" I have with no other image viewing software.

One of the main reasons for me to use DAMINION is to find pictures and then to present them immediately on the monitor in full-screen view. And I expect from the DMINION-software that the pictures are displayed without delay (rendering) immediately by clicking through. Software like IrfanView, XnView, ACDSee have no such problems. I tested it with a folder of 50 JEPG photos of 1647 KB to 4615 KB (together about 130 MB), 4000 x 2248 Pixel.

If I am clicking the test-folder through, I notice that the issue does not occurs with the same photos in the same way, it is random. There are not always the same photos rendering slow. Sometimes rendering takes longer, sometimes shorter. There is no system recognizable, except that the photos are rendered visible.

It would be fine if DAMINION finally would get this "rendering problem" under control or do I have to change something in preferences/settings?

Hava a nice day

Pictor

Hi Murat,

I did another test using DAMINION. I reduced the original size from 4000 * 2248 to

3600 * 2023 -->> rendering is seen

2500 * 1405 -->> rendering is seen

2000 * 1124 -->> almost no rendering is seen

-----

And then I made an "express / quick" test. I clicked forward as quickly as I could (a lot of clicks per second).

Result:

Daminion 2000 * 1124 -->> Rendering is seen

FastStoneViewer 4000 * 2248 -->> no rendering is seen

-----

Function "Compare items"

there also rendering is seen, when I change an item

----

Still one more observation

when I use the full screen view of DAMINION, then I have the impression, that the images are "jumping / shaking" to their final position / view (regardless of the size). When using FastStoneViewer I cannot detect a movement.

--------------------

I am using a 4k monitor, 3840*2160, 60Hz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (2 GB)

Pictor

• 6 months later...

Hi Murat,

The rendering is still visible in build 1582.

A test with ACDSeePro 9, Irfanview, FaststonViewer and XnViewMP showed that these programs show the photos immediately without any rendering.

It would be nice if this problem is now recognized shortly and then corrected.

Otherwise it could be for me a knock-out criterion for DAMINION, though I am using DAMINION since early year 2012.

So, I hope that in the near future a new build is released with no more visible rendering. Thank you.

I still believe in DAMINION !

Düsseldorf Helau

Pictor

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is very disappointing.

I am surprised in a negative way that a company which existence and purpose relies on managing photographs and image files is not capable to fix such a basic and principle issue.

This doesn't grow much confidence in the quality of Daminion's programmers and/or management.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I run a two seat Home server version of Daminion and all of my pictures are stored on the network. I also see the slow rendering time but it does not happen to all pictures. I wonder if there is a background process going on that is taking up disk activity or something else that causes this.

Frank Hahn

I wonder if there is a background process going on that is taking up disk activity or something else that causes this.

I am also quite sure there are background activities consuming resources randomly (from a user's perspective). Watching the task manager it seems to be more often processor usage rather than disk activities. I am not only seeing varying times for rendering the full screen image, but also the times needed to fill the properties panel, open the menu or toggling between thumbnail and tray are not consistent.

I am talking about a standalone client with Intel i5-5200 2.2 GHz and 8GB RAM. The OS (Windows 10 64bit), all programs, as well as the Dominion catalogs and ~Thumbs-directories reside on an SSD.

Some response from Daminion would be really nice.

Allow me to suggest two possible replies:

A. We acknowledge this issue and dissatisfaction from some of our customers, we appreciate them for bring it to our attention, and we will try to resolve it.

B. Meh.

• 3 weeks later...

I get the same issue. I had always attributed it to the fact that my library is stored on my NAS drive an put it down to latency. For the delay is about 1 second which I have learned to live with. But the same images, served up by Synology Photo Station's web browser over the internet, display instantly and since this is how I consume my images, it's not a major issue for me

But it certainly does seem to be an issue with the Daminion graphics engine that needs fixing