slow full screen rendering of photographs

Jistme

Maybe just try lazy loading? It should help

..except this issue is in the desktop client not the web (or at least that's where I am having the problem.) Doesn't lazy loading defer loading of components until they are needed? Or have I misunderstood it? In this case the issue is full screen loading of an image for viewing, which is an immediate need.

Regards

Paul

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Daminion Team,

I got an information, that the rendering problem is a "feature" due to network drives.

It would be fine, if you can explain us this "feature" and additional what can be done to avoid this awful rendering.

I am using the standalone version of Daminion.

In full screen view I want to see the photos immediately without rendering. I think this is state of the art for a photo-presentation.

A comparison between Daminion and Faststone showed, that Faststone is much faster in clicking through (full screen view).

The minimum system requirement is 1 MHz for the standalone version. So what will you do with 20 MB photos and a "normal" computer? Today my photos are up to 4 MB.

I use Daminion as a DAM

- as Database of my photos

- search for photos and present or export the objects found

Daminion, please rethink your design for full screen view.

Thank you in advance.

Pictor

P.S. A basic feature is also missing to Daminion: a (elementary) slideshow. Maybe a slideshow can solve the rendering problem.

Is it possible to bypass the full screen viewer of Daminion and assign the function to another program like IrfanView?

There are a couple of reasons that I would like to do this.

1. Increase the speed the picture is rendered.

2. With IrfanView, you can magnify the picture many times. With Daminion, you can only click on the picture and it magnifies it just the one level.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

Is it possible to bypass the full screen viewer of Daminion and assign the function to another program like IrfanView?

I don't know, if you can really "bypass" the full screen viewer, but if the purpose is only to show a single(!) image in full screen size, there is workaround by using the "Open With" function:

1. Right click an image and select "Open With" in the context menu
  2. Select "Define External Tools"
  3. If you don't see IrfanView under the tab "Viewers", click the "+Add" button and search for IrfanView (usually under C:\Program Files\IrfanView )
  4. Back in the "External Applications" panel, IrfanViewshould appear on top of the list. If it does not, select the line containing IrfanView (as added in the previous step) and click the triangle button on top of the table to move it up.

After performing the steps above you can start IrfanView by selecting an image and press the key for letter "v" (no need to open the context menu again as described above).

However, you loose several possibilities of the Daminion full screen view:

- If you want work on multiple images from you selection you mad in Daminion, you need to return to Daminion (I use Alt-Tab to do this quickly) and type for the next image

- I often use the properties panel inside the full screen window. Obviously, this doesn't work with an external program.

Btw. (off topic) there is an another shortcut "E" for "Check out & Edit with"

Edited by Wilfried

Hallo Frank and Wilfried,

"BYPASS" with V could be that, what I am looking for. Thank you for this simple trick.

But this "bypassing" shows only the images of the folder of the " v " image.

I tested it with a search for all "2 star" images, and the results are in many folders. So I got not the images from the thumbnail-view. IrfanView does not get the image list of Daminion.

So the "bypassing" works for folders but not for a search result.

Therefore I am still looking for a solution for the rendering problem.

Pictor

But this "bypassing" shows only the images of the folder of the " v " image.

This is absolutely true Pictor. Daminion only passes the name of the selected image to the external program and if you select more than one picture it may call that program multiple times (depending on the program - I didn't try it with IrvanView), which is not desirable neither.

In fact in my previous post, I said "if the purpose is only to show the image" - more correctly wold have been "if the purpose is only to show A SINGLE image" (I will change it).

Personally, I still try to live with the slow rendering, which did improve much, still being nasty though, after I moved to a new laptop with more memory and (probably more importantly) storing software and Daminion catalog on an SSD.

With Daminion, you can only click on the picture and it magnifies it just the one level.

True Frank, with a single click, you can only magnify to "Full Size", but in addition you can choose other sizes by clicking the the percentage sign (e.g. 26,1%) on the right of the title line (left of the button "Close"). If you don't see the title line, press F11.

post-1805-0-35010700-1497335583_thumb.jpg

Out of interest, because I don't have irfanview, Is the time taken to load irfanview and render the image faster than letting the Daminion engine do it?

Whatever, all of this tells me that if users are having to go to these lengths to fund a solution to the problem, that Daminion really need to fix this quickly.

Paul

Is the time taken to load irfanview and render the image faster than letting the Daminion engine do it?

Yes it is Paul, but only if your PC is fast enough. I made this experience after moving to a laptop with similar processor, but all programs (as well as the Daminion catalog and ~Thumbs) are stored on an SSD and with plenty of memory. I rarely use IrfanView (and rather cope with the slow rendering for full screen), but many times I switch between Daminion and Picasa, GeoSetter, Showfoto or some others.

Also the test with IrvanView I made before writing the post above, confirmed it. I have now idea what "secrets" Irfan Skiljan uses to render the image so quickly, bit it opens full screen with sub-second response time - regardless whether I started IrvanView before or not.

For example to show or change the Geo-location of one or more images, I prefer now to open GeoSetter instead the map in Daminion. The performance for GeoSetter is varying though, because it always needs to read all images in a folder, once I started it and I open another image in the same folder, it is extremely fast.

Whatever, all of this tells me that if users are having to go to these lengths to fund a solution to the problem, that Daminion really need to fix this quickly.

Or at least Daminion could show any response/sign of life at all on this matter....

• Upvote 1

Hi Uwe

I use the standard. See attached file.

A test without activating "Accelerate Preview": no difference in rendering behavior.

I currently have only files up to about 4MB (not external).

I am still of the opinion that it is a design problem.

Pictor

post-1611-0-23954400-1497381398_thumb.jpg

True Frank, with a single click, you can only magnify to "Full Size", but in addition you can choose other sizes by clicking the the percentage sign (e.g. 26,1%) on the right of the title line (left of the button "Close"). If you don't see the title line, press F11.

Thanks for that. I have not noticed that in the past.

Frank Hahn