Daminion 7 New Desktop UI

Paul Barrett

Hello Tschens,
who do you mean - Paul? As I understand the forum is supposed to help report bugs, share suggestions for improvement and criticism, and share experiences. I can't find any of them in your message.
Greetings, Uwe

Yes, I mean the posting from Paul above. We already have a thread dealing with  the new GUI, where the new GUI comes off badly. No need for a new thread. This new thread looks like image polishing. BTW: Still waiting for a screenshot of the new GUI 🙂

Concrete proposal (honestly, without any expectations):

1) It seems like most of us users do not like the new GUI. It is old fashioned, unclear, all in one color. Please give us back the previous look.

2) Following the above-cited thread, it seems as if no serious users were involved in the beta tests. Why?

3) Please try to fix existing bugs before adding new features. At least change your priorities to A)fix bugs, B) add new features

4) No, I am not willing to re-discuss the bugs I sent to the dev team 4 times (!) in the past 2 (!) years in order to get the next (4th or 5th?) promise that it will be fixed in the next version....

• Like 3

OK I obviously touched a nerve so let me elaborate:

1. No I was not paid

2. This is a member forum is it not?  if we come here to criticise and raise bugs are we not also entitled to come here to praise?

3. If you read my simple post again you'll see that I made one point, that, love it or hate it, the arrival of a new UI indicates that the product has a future.  I for one was very concerned that development of the desktop client had lagged behind the web client and I was concerned that it might even be withdrawn

4. UI redesign is always contentious.  Like I said, it's a love or hate it situation.  I didn't say it was perfect, merely that it was a good way forward.

5. I would agree that a light and dark option would be good.  Many apps that I use have that ability.

6. Omelettes, eggs

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 6:48 AM, Tschens said:

Did they pay you for this posting?

Jens, I do understand and agree strongly with your critics related to Daminion's progress, but (most likely unintentionally) you hit the wrong person.  According to my impressions in the past, Paul always states his true opinion in a constructive way!

21 hours ago, Paul Barrett said:

6. Omelettes, eggs

Where is the bacon, Paul? 😂 

And there is one more good news: During the last months (years?), I did miss your posts here, Paul .... welcome back! Hope, you are doing well. 😉

• Like 1

Thanks Wilfried

I think you'll be seeing me back here a bit more because Synology have DSM 7 in beta at the moment.  It has a completely new photo management app so I'll have to write a new Daminion help section to describe the new integration.  So, for a while at least, Daminion version 7 will integrate with Synology DSM version 7 in a happy coincidence 

• Like 1

Just to clarify: There was undoubtedly a great deal of sarcasm hidden in my remark. Of course i did NOT assume that. 🙂

Back to the topic:

In version 6, there was a very subtle but helpful alternating light/dark colouring in the window with the keywords on the right hand side. I am not sure if this is now the case with version 7. All-in-white makes somehow my eyes glaze over. The rest looks fine so far.

After all, what makes me angry is the marketing statement "Brand New User Interface". For what? Some different icons and Tray is now Favorites - who cares? Color changes which - according to Murat - some internal testers did like, but in this forum, I did not see any positive comment on that. Good, they are doing something, but I have the impression, the development team missed a turn at some point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WilfriedB said:

After all, what makes me angry is the marketing statement "Brand New User Interface". For what? Some different icons and Tray is now Favorites - who cares? Color changes which - according to Murat - some internal testers did like, but in this forum, I did not see any positive comment on that. Good, they are doing something, but I have the impression, the development team missed a turn at some point.

Maybe.  Light versus Dark desktop is a Marmite thing**.  Personally I prefer light to dark, but some people prefer life on the Dark Side 🤣

**Does "Marmite thing" translate?

27 minutes ago, Paul Barrett said:

Does "Marmite thing" translate?

Not for me just was wondering what it means. I need to search ...  😂   aaah Marmite versus Veggiemate does tell me something, but only due do an Australian friend who insisted to bring it to the US for daily breakfast. Don't remember now, what brand name was English and what was Australian .... 🤔 With my favor for unknown food, I did like it ...

And yes, it also took me quite a while to appreciate the dark mode for many apps. Nevertheless, a darker background for colored images is always better than white.

1 hour ago, WilfriedB said:

100% agreement. Dev team, please print this out and stick it on your monitor. 🙂

Yoda says: "Dark mode all we want is". 

• Like 1

Hello,
for me the coloring is not relevant first, but the large distances between the individual metadata tags e.g. in the Propereties Panel. For me this is wasted space and thus unnecessary scrolling.

regards, Uwe

20210409_121911.jpg

As someone who spent 30 years as a software user interface designer, I agree completely with the above comments. Color choices (at least in Windows) should be linked to the API by default and the user should be able to change them at will inside the application. It's not the developers' concern if the user wants to create what others might consider a garish color scheme. There's also the issue of high contrast for vision issues, but that's another topic...

As for the additional space between the metatags, yes, that's a colossal waste of screen real estate!

I, for one, will not be updating!!

• Upvote 1

Maybe this a Deep State conspiracy to make us all buy 4K monitors. 😉🤣

Could the spacing be a configuration option/parameter. Maybe someone likes the space and easy readability. Personally I prefer in tools like this efficient use of the real estate.

1 minute ago, lintujuh said:

Deep State conspiracy to make us all buy 4K monitors.

😂

Seriously: For me it is the proof, there is somebody who couldn't care less, how users with many media items really work. 😞 Testing with a handful items certainly looks great that way.

• 6 months later...

Although I prolonged my "subscription" when version 7 was introduced, I never used it because of the weird GUI of V7.

I reverted to V6 immediately.

Any news on the optimization of the GUI? Is it worth updating? I am tired of making backups of my database and reverting back to V6. Face recognition sounds interesting....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tschens said:

Face recognition sounds interesting....

Same here! I agree and also wait for more positive feedback.  In particular, what exactly means face recognition support in Daminion? Until now, I still use Picasa to recognize and name faces (preferably) before importing new images into Daminion or perform a Read Tags from file later. But I frequently discover mismatches between Picasa and the People tags in Daminion.