Version 7 Layout

Tschens

13 hours ago, Tschens said:

the all-in-white layout hurts my eyes.

Is it this what the Daminion team calls "A brand new interface of Daminion desktop client."? This is anachronistic: On all other platforms user interfaces are moving to or at least offer an option for a dark mode, but Daminion goes the opposite direction and calls it "brand new". I cannot believe it. For me a good reason for not moving to version 7! 😡

Unfortunately, my maintenance period expired just three days ago 😞 , so I cannot install the test version and won't extend the maintenance unless I see reasonable improvements. In Daminion's page on Facebook, I found a screenshot of the brand new interface. Besides, the terrible white background, some typos in field labels ("Dimention", "Geo Tagget"), the four parts of the Place tag using more space and some changed icons, I cannot recognize big changes or improvements. Can anybody tell me more?

grafik.thumb.png.c38a77624e1ab9f9cde25423bd6d174f.png

39 minutes ago, l.miklos said:

The "Tray" name changed to "Favorites"

Thanks Miklos 🙂 

I would very be happy, if there were a keyboard shortcut to show/hide the Tray/Favorites, but changing the title might only create confusion for experienced users, while it doesn't improve learning for new users (my opinion).

There is no improvement at all. Waste of space, terrible layout etc etc. Obviously, the programmers spent a lot of time for worsening the interface. On the other hand, they ignore several bugs I sent them already 2 years ago which could be fixed very easily within a few minutes by a medium skilled programmer. Shame on you!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tschens said:

There is no improvement at all. Waste of space, terrible layout etc etc. Obviously, the programmers spent a lot of time for worsening the interface. On the other hand, they ignore several bugs I sent them already 2 years ago which could be fixed very easily within a few minutes by a medium skilled programmer. Shame on you!

This is why I stayed with 6.4.0.2120, after this version waste screen space started.
Looks like (through screen copy) this V7 is worst.

I'm happy with my old version ;-)

• Like 2

Hi,

I made some screenshots to show, how different programs show the same amount of 6 thumbnails on the screen. I have a Nvidia GTX1050Ti and the Monitor is a Quato262 Excel (1920x1200).
The programs are: Daminion 2416, Adobe Bridge CS6, XnViewMP, digiKam 7.2.0-rc, Metadata++
All TIFF photos are the same used in a photobook.
One screenshot shows how Daminion 2416 looks on the Lenovo laptop, AMD Radeon RX640 1920x1080

Regards, Uwe

Daminion_2416_Nvidia_GTX1050Ti_1920x1200.jpg

XnViewMP_Nvidia_GTX1050Ti_1920x1200.jpg

digiKam_Nvidia_GTX1050Ti_1920x1200.jpg

Adobe_Bridge_CS6_Nvidia_GTX1050Ti_1920x1200.jpg

Metadata++_Nvidia_GTX1050Ti_1920x1200.jpg

Daminion_2416_AMD_Radeon_RX640_1920x1080.jpg

On 3/23/2021 at 11:27 AM, Uwe said:

I do not know if I can still make settings somewhere. If not: what a waste of screen space. The ratio between the size of the thumbnail field, the photo and the font does not fit at all.

Hey Uwe. Thanks for the feedback! We will add some changes to avoid impacting to thumbnail size when adding new fields.

1 minute ago, WilfriedB said:

Murat, how about the anachronistic white background?

Hey Wilfried, I appreciate your feedback! We will consider adding an option to switch background of the thumbnail area to grey. But only in 7.1 or 7.2 version. The release of the 7.0 version is scheduled for early April - we will not have time to make changes by this time. 

3 minutes ago, Murat said:

We will consider adding an option to switch background of the thumbnail area to grey.

Thanks a lot Murat, but I not only meant the background of the thumbnails, but the entire window instead. Compared to many other applications it just looks 'old fashioned' and hurts the eyes.

11 minutes ago, WilfriedB said:

Thanks a lot Murat, but I not only meant the background of the thumbnails, but the entire window instead. Compared to many other applications it just looks 'old fashioned' and hurts the eyes.

Unfortunately, the UI technology that we use allows changing the appearance of any controls except scrollbars. We tried to hack it since Daminion 1.0, but there is no way for this. Therefore we decided to "grey" UI partially )

Fyi: I am now back at Version 6.8. This was possible without restoring the database. Just install the older Version over the never one and you are fine.

I am just wondering if Daminion has beta-testers an if yes, what are they doing? Did really nobody among them comment on the new GUI?

Furthermore, why do you post downloads for the beta versions here if it is not possible to react on our feedback? Murat, don't get me/us wrong, we want to help, not complain.

3 hours ago, Tschens said:

This was possible without resoring the database

Good to know, thanks Jens!

if Daminion has beta-testers

My understanding: We, the user of this forum are the beta testers, whenever the developers offer us a test build, but I don't know, how much testing of the GUI with independent users is done before that ...

why do you post downloads for the beta versions here if it is not possible to react on our feedback?

Good point! Maybe usability testing does not have high priority ... ? It would confirm the impression I got more and more over time because of inconsistent or incomplete functions.

7 hours ago, Tschens said:

I am just wondering if Daminion has beta-testers an if yes, what are they doing? Did really nobody among them comment on the new GUI?

Furthermore, why do you post downloads for the beta versions here if it is not possible to react on our feedback? Murat, don't get me/us wrong, we want to help, not complain.

Tschens, I appreciate your input and your feedback! We have internal testing team but they are happy with the new GUI yet  😀
We take into account all user feedbacks but it is not possible to implement all of them or implement them ASAP.

If we don't react to a comment here it doesn't mean that we don't read it or don't discuss about it internally.

>  On the other hand, they ignore several bugs I sent them already 2 years ago which could be fixed very easily within a few minutes by a medium skilled programmer. 

May I ask you to send a brief info about them to support at daminion.net please. Thanks!

Hi,

For me as a user it would have been better you would have invested more time in developing the existing software.
An example:
I am using the server version.
I want to use OpenStreetmap.
But this is only possible in the web client.
But linking and grouping do not work with the web client.
So I can't take advantage of all the possibilities that the software can actually do.
I think a homogenization would have been more urgent than a "new" GUI.

Erwin

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/24/2021 at 7:17 PM, Murat said:

We have internal testing team but they are happy with the new GUI

Murat, just for clarification:

I have no doubt, you do a lot of testing before providing an external test version here in the forum. I am also sure, this includes testing the GUI in the sense that it cannot produce crashes and does work as designed. But I am wondering since quite some time, how much you did and do invest in usability studies to verify the design? I could make a long list of inconsistent or inconvenient behaviors of the user interface, but to be honest, I gave up to report those, because I came to the impression, nobody cares about it or doesn't have enough resources to do more on it (which is understandable).

• Upvote 2

Hi,

I'll wait until the license expires and then get the last version. I will then test them and verify whether I change or not.
At the moment I'm on 6.8.0.2380 Server and I'm staying there.
Wilfried wrote:
"I could make a long list of inconsistent or inconvenient behaviors of the user interface, but to be honest, I gave up to report those, because I came to the impression, nobody cares about it or doesn't have enough resources to do more on it (which is understandable). "
and I can only sign that.
See also my post from March 25th.
Maybe some things will improve, at least I hope so.
Erwin

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Sorry to insist but I sometimes try latest Daminion version, by curiosity and if GUI has improved or not.

Well here is some comparisons about V6.4 (best User interface IMHO) and latest V7.6

I hope that next versions will waste less space between lines, icons, texts, buttons and so on to give back a better GUI as it was in V6.4.

Daminion Properties 6.4 Vs 7.6.jpg

Daminion V6.4-V7.6.jpg

• Like 1