2211 - desktop client doesn't show all items

Uwe

Hello,

same selection (select a main folder) in the desktop client and the web client. The desktop client doesn't show all items of the first subfolder of the main folder. It's ok with the web client. I'll send a video by Skype to Daria.

Regards, Uwe

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Uwe, 

This is what Alex says: "We have a double sorting which means when you change the sorting, the previous one is still remembered on the background. Say, you have a few files with the exactly same date but with a different second sorting parameter which could have been any and we cannot tell you based on the backup which one. So first, Daminion applies he current sorting which is Creation DateTime and the the second sorting, i.e. the previous one." As a result, the behavior you see is not a bug, just a specificity of Daminion

Kind regards

Daria

Hi Daria & Alex

sorry but I don't understand it. In the catalog are > 130.000 items. Each of them has a unique Creation Date Time and I expect that each thumbnail/item appears when I select the main folder of all items in the catalog and the sort by Creation Date Time.

Regards, Uwe

Are you sure that the Creation Date time is unique and none of the files  has it the same as another one? I imagine you might have a few files taken on the same date and at the same time. Daminion does not show milliseconds, so this parameter is not considered when sorting. And if you have images A, B, C, D, E with the same date and time, then the second sorting parameter is applied. This is how Alex explained it to me saying that the behavior you see is not a bug. I believe Kate may be able to contribute more to this conversation as she is in constant contact with the developers and may have a few more insights. 

Kind regards

Daria

Hello,

I don't know when a new build is available but this is from my point of view a bug that has to be fixed immediately. I would like to explain what happens now:

The sort for the thumbnails is: Creation Date Time.
I select the main folder and get this result for items of the subfolder "1985 Kindertag": Only one item is displayed "19850601_120000.tif". But there are three items in the subfolder.

Daminion_2225_missing_items_01.jpg

Then I select the subfolder "1985 Kindertag"

Daminion_2225_missing_items_02.jpg

Now I see the tree items. Two items have a Creation Date Time which doesn't fit to the folder date. It was the result of manipulation of these files. The file with date "03.09.2020 19:49:52" is a AfPub file and the file with date "03.09.2020 19:50:18" is a PDF file.

From my point of view: If I select items by folder then the "sort priority" to show items has to be:
1. show all items folder by folder (the first "sort" criteria is the folder name)
2. show all items in the folder sorted by the sort defined in the thumbnail  window

For all other selections of items (e.g. by Keywords, Author etc.) the folders are not relevant. Only the sort criteria has to be used.

Regards, Uwe

Hi Uwe, 

Based on your explanation, Daminion does work correctly. If you display all files in the main folder and select the Creation DateTime as a sort criteria, all the files will be sorted according to this. Just imagine if someone had a folder structure based on a name of the project, and not including any year indicators. How confusing it would be for them to see their files from a parent folder sorted incorrectly by Date if Daminion would be displaying files folder by folder. 

Kind regards, 

Daria

Hallo Daria,

thanks for the info. I was of the opinion that in earlier versions the folder structure was taken into account. This was probably a mistake on my part. But there is still the question why, with the same folder selection and sorting, the Web client shows all files correctly and the Desktop client does not. You received a PM and screenshots.

Regards, Uwe

Hi Daria & Uwe,
In addition to this issue:
I have named all the photos using creation day/time and incremental number.
If I select Show all, and set Sort By: filename, what should I see?
In my case, the same big part of the photos are still hidden somewhere.
I have also tested so, that I set sort by: creation time, photos have different creation time according to your explanation above, but still big part of photos are hidden.  
This does not happen in standalone version  -  all the photos are visible in each case.  So something is screwed  -  at least for me.
Lenni

On 9/4/2020 at 9:12 PM, Daria Kotilainen said:

Daminion does work correctly

After discussing Uwe's issue, we both came to the conclusion, there must have been a misunderstanding, how sorting should work and did work in the past. However, dealing with a large number of scanned images, I ran into a similar issue now. During the process of identifying scans from old color slides, I rename the files frequently. One reason for doing so, is to change the year from two (e.g. 93) to four digits (1993).

Doing so with the files in a big folder, it also seemed to me some files got lost, but in reality the appeared in an unexpected position. The example below shows the item sorted ascending by filename. Certainly the number 930700 is smaller than the number 1999330105, but the character string "930700-0287.jpg" should be bigger than "19930105-0125.jpg" or am I misunderstanding something now?

In any case, it is confusing. After renaming and refreshing the thumbnail list, the freshly renamed items appear many pages below the original position. That might have been similar in Uwe's and Lenni's case.

grafik.thumb.png.5758168dd7924d793ca57ef4befed96f.png

Anyway, in my case I have photos as below in my first folder, which is here selected:

image.png.1f9f7d8c31ddfbe89b51fd857025dd5c.png

When I then select Show all and set Sort order by: Filename, the list starts below:
image.png.c9bb961bf46c6fb663bad9e7eb105672.png

Where are the photos starting 1952... and other photos starting 1953...?
So I don't understand the logic behind this, for me the is a bug.
And in addition, Standalone version shows all the time everything correct.
Lenni

Hi guys, 

My apologies for this inconvenience! We are trying to reproduce it on our end to confirm this is a bug. As an experiment, could you please try to create a new catalog and restore the backup of the current catalog in there? To see if this sorting issue is reproducible in the new catalog? 

Kate is working with the guys on this issue. 

Kind regards

Daria

15 hours ago, Daria Kotilainen said:

As an experiment, could you please try to create a new catalog and restore the backup of the current catalog in there?

Hi Daria, I was reflecting about the rational behind your request: Although creating a new catalog would build the structure of the database from scratch, restoring the old backup should recover everything from the old catalog.

I made another test now: Created a new catalog and did not restore the backup, but imported  the directory which produced above results. The result, however is the same:

grafik.png.fb4f629b60a362bdf8ca870eb70e010d.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...