Geotag older photos

fhahn

I have started geotagging some older photos. Some of these photos are 30-40 years old and some places are no longer there. Some have been torn down and some have been replaced with newer structures.

I don't know if there a proper way to do this but I am looking for some guidance.

What I have been doing is tagging the photos with the coordinates of the structures and in the location with in Daminion, I am using the name of the building, etc from the time the photo was taken.

For example, I went to a football game in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 2011 at the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome. That stadium was torn down and rebuilt and now it is known as the U.S. Bank Stadium. In Daminion, I have entered the Location as Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome.

Any thoughts on how I am proceeding?

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

Hello Frank,

I prefer to use the name of the object (Places tag) at the moment the photo was taken. Going this way one has a historical guide line, in this case of a location.

E.g. There are photos taken in Dresden 1945 (Deutsches Reich->Sachsen->Dresden->Zwinger), 1987 (DDR->Dresden->Dresden->Zwinger) and 2013 (Deutschland->Sachsen->Dresden->Zwinger)

All photos can to be assigned to the same Collection Tag.

Regards, Uwe

Hello Frank,

I prefer to use the name of the object (Places tag) at the moment the photo was taken. Going this way one has a historical guide line, in this case of a location.

E.g. There are photos taken in Dresden 1945 (Deutsches Reich->Sachsen->Dresden->Zwinger), 1987 (DDR->Dresden->Dresden->Zwinger) and 2013 (Deutschland->Sachsen->Dresden->Zwinger)

All photos can to be assigned to the same Collection Tag.

Regards, Uwe

Yes, I think the best solution is to name the place the same as what it was when the photo was taken.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

Unfortunately Daminion does not support synonyms for the place tag, which would be most logical way to handle that in my opinion.

I found a similar situation: For cities where you made many pictures at many different locations (e.g. Paris, Rome ...) the structure of the place tag country/state/city/location might not be sufficient. So I started to use the keyword tag to describe the location more specifically. It also allows me to describe the position of the photographer, as well as the object. A synonym for the keywords is able to provide for historical names of the same place.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately Daminion does not support synonyms for the place tag, which would be most logical way to handle that in my opinion.

I found a similar situation: For cities where you made many pictures at many different locations (e.g. Paris, Rome ...) the structure of the place tag country/state/city/location might not be sufficient. So I started to use the keyword tag to describe the location more specifically. It also allows me to describe the position of the photographer, as well as the object. A synonym for the keywords is able to provide for historical names of the same place.

Keywords are a much better solution for places because they have the flexibility that places don't and, as you point out, have the synonyms capability

To the point about places that no longer exists, there's a lesson to learn from the world of genealogy. There it is normal to record the historical address at the time the event took place, geocode it as accurately as is possible on the modern map and add a note that the place no longer exists,

That note could go in the Comments field

Paul

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...