Daminion crash when adding a file to the tray

Greg

On my first use of the tray Daminion crashed upon adding an item to the tray. This repeats very simply.

• Create new catalog.
  • Add a few files.
  • Put the file in the tray using the menu or drag and drop.
  • Daminion immediately crashes.

I created several simple test catalogs and verified the crash. On each of the test catalogs that crashed Daminion would then crash immediately when next opened. Luckily I was able to get my catalog with 35,000 files to restart and remove the file from the tray. I'm using the stand alone version of Dominion 5.0.0 build 1582 on the latest Windows 10 operating system. The catalog is local and image files are located on a Synology NAS connected by GBit LAN. However, I was able to create the crash with files on a local drive as well.

Daminon had been working flawlessly prior to this issue. I'm now concerned about trying new features for fear of losing my work. I will make sure I have current backups of the catalog until this issue is addressed.

Thanks for checking Uwe. It's repeatable every time when I try it. There must be something specific with my system. I run all kinds of software and never run into a problem with the hardware or software configuration. It's a fast custom desktop with core i7 4.2GHz quad core (not overclocked) and solid state drives. This is the only issue I've noticed with Daminion.

I uninstalled Daminion. I downloaded the software again, which is curious that the file size changed from my previous download. After reinstalling Daminion the result is the same.

Thanks for checking Uwe. It's repeatable every time when I try it. There must be something specific with my system. I run all kinds of software and never run into a problem with the hardware or software configuration. It's a fast custom desktop with core i7 4.2GHz quad core (not overclocked) and solid state drives. This is the only issue I've noticed with Daminion.

Hello Greg,

If you receive any error messages or bug reports, please send the text to me by email. Or enable logging for the local catalog, reproduce the issue and send me the log file (click CTRL+F12 > 1.0 Folder)

unnamed.png

Regards,

Daria

Hello Greg,

If you receive any error messages or bug reports, please send the text to me by email. Or enable logging for the local catalog, reproduce the issue and send me the log file (click CTRL+F12 > 1.0 Folder)

post-3050-0-62117600-1486393210_thumb.png

Regards,

Daria

Hi Daria,

I will try that

Thanks,

Greg

Thanks for getting this issue quickly fixed. For anyone reading along, this required no code change. After looking at the log file support made some quick fixes to my configuration and the issue went away. A definite positive in the feedback column for Daminion support!

For anyone reading along, this required no code change. After looking at the log file support made some quick fixes to my configuration and the issue went away. A definite positive in the feedback column for Daminion support!

Would you happen to know, what quick fixes?

Thank you, Greg!

I have reproduced the crash and sent the log file to Daria via PM.

Have all a nice day!

Hi Jacal,

seems I replied you in a private conversation.

Please try to kill Daminion Client settings - close Daminion and just rename the folder "1.0" by this path C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Daminion Software\Daminion

Then open the catalog again and try to reproduce the issue

Regards,

Daria

Hi Jacal,

seems I replied you in a private conversation.

Please try to kill Daminion Client settings - close Daminion and just rename the folder "1.0" by this path C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Daminion Software\Daminion

Then open the catalog again and try to reproduce the issue

Regards,

Daria

Yes, thanks again! I can confirm, that after the settings folder was recreated, the issue is gone, everything works fine.

What version of Synology DSM are you using Greg?

I am also using Daminion with files on a NAS and have been experiencing Daminion crashes when doing file ops. Unfortunately we have had near concurrent updates of both Damnion and DSM which makes it more difficult to determine where the issue lies.

- Paul

Hi Paul,

My Synology NAS is running DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9.

On Daminion I'm using 5.0.0 (build 1592) standalone with 35,271 files at the moment. I have experienced no other crashes.

Are you using the Daminion Server with your Synology NAS? I'm trying to get that running to evaluate the performance compared to Standalone.

- Greg

Hi Paul,

My Synology NAS is running DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9.

On Daminion I'm using 5.0.0 (build 1592) standalone with 35,271 files at the moment. I have experienced no other crashes.

Are you using the Daminion Server with your Synology NAS? I'm trying to get that running to evaluate the performance compared to Standalone.

- Greg

I am using the same builds.

Yep I'm using the Server version. Unfortunately I made that change at about the same time as the latest DSM and Daminion updates, so I have three potential reasons for the several problems i have experienced.

The Server install process seems to be much more difficult on Windows 10 Home which does not have Active Directory capabilities. But Daria and Alexey got me up and running. Absent AD you have to make sure that the same username and password is entered in about 6 places. Once you have done that, do NOT change the password anywhere without changing it in all 6 places or everything will stop working.

You need more technical ability than I have.blush.gif I make up for that with a determination to get to the bottom of problems!!!

- Paul

I am using the same builds.

Yep I'm using the Server version. Unfortunately I made that change at about the same time as the latest DSM and Daminion updates, so I have three potential reasons for the several problems i have experienced.

The Server install process seems to be much more difficult on Windows 10 Home which does not have Active Directory capabilities. But Daria and Alexey got me up and running. Absent AD you have to make sure that the same username and password is entered in about 6 places. Once you have done that, do NOT change the password anywhere without changing it in all 6 places or everything will stop working.

You need more technical ability than I have.blush.gif I make up for that with a determination to get to the bottom of problems!!!

- Paul

Hi Paul,

Determination is always the key to success. Good job. We are having difficulty making the connection from Daminion Server to my Synology NAS. :dash2: It would be very helpful if you could advise on which places the username and password were entered? What form did the user name take on the Synology end? eg: just the user name or prefixed by your windows computer name.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

- Greg

Hi Paul,

Determination is always the key to success. Good job. We are having difficulty making the connection from Daminion Server to my Synology NAS. :dash2: It would be very helpful if you could advise on which places the username and password were entered? What form did the user name take on the Synology end? eg: just the user name or prefixed by your windows computer name.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.

- Greg

What we did:(and I will ask Daria to add here 2 cents to this because some of it gets a bit techie for me). I am not sure I have the sequence exactly right, Daria can help there too.wacko2.gif

1. Create an account called daminion on DSM, make it an admin account, assign a password and write that baby down somewhere 'cos you're gonna need it.
  2. Create a local account on your PC called daminion, make it an admin account and assign the exact same password.
  3. Login to your PC using the daminion account
  4. Install Daminion Server and when prompted use 'this account'
  5. In Windows Services, edit the properties of the Daminion File Watching Service and make sure the same daminion user and password are used.
  6. Ditto Daminion Server Service.
  7. I seem to recall we also had to make sure that the daminion account had Windows file system permissions for full control of the NAS shared drive (and for good measure make sure that you do likewise in File Station / Shared Folders on the NAS)
  8. When you finally get a catalog set up and log into it for the first time, you will prompted for a username and password. Guess what? Yep - use the daminion account credentials again (and check the 'remember me' box unless you wanna keep entering this puppy.) (Actually you can use other accounts but you need to set them up in the Daminion Server Admin panel)
  9. DON'T discard your record of the password because when you open the catalog the system will randomly ask you for it again! No, I don't know why either.
  10. For goodness sake do NOT change the password in any of these friggin' places because you'll have to go edit all the others so the match.

Apparently a lot of this can be avoided if you have Win Pro with Active Directory. But I'm not about to shell out >£100 unless I have a guarantee. Any way, with free availability for catalogs of up to 15K entries, the prosumer, Win 10 Home user is an obvious market segment, so in my view the architecture should support that environment.

I have already asked the question why the application of the single set of credentials in all six places cannot be scripted, because currently it is entirely manual and therefore error prone

OK, good luck!

Let us know how you get on.

- Paul

What we did:(and I will ask Daria to add here 2 cents to this because some of it gets a bit techie for me). I am not sure I have the sequence exactly right, Daria can help there too.wacko2.gif

1. Create an account called daminion on DSM, make it an admin account, assign a password and write that baby down somewhere 'cos you're gonna need it.
  2. Create a local account on your PC called daminion, make it an admin account and assign the exact same password.
  3. Login to your PC using the daminion account
  4. Install Daminion Server and when prompted use 'this account'
  5. In Windows Services, edit the properties of the Daminion File Watching Service and make sure the same daminion user and password are used.
  6. Ditto Daminion Server Service.
  7. I seem to recall we also had to make sure that the daminion account had Windows file system permissions for full control of the NAS shared drive (and for good measure make sure that you do likewise in File Station / Shared Folders on the NAS)
  8. When you finally get a catalog set up and log into it for the first time, you will prompted for a username and password. Guess what? Yep - use the daminion account credentials again (and check the 'remember me' box unless you wanna keep entering this puppy.) (Actually you can use other accounts but you need to set them up in the Daminion Server Admin panel)
  9. DON'T discard your record of the password because when you open the catalog the system will randomly ask you for it again! No, I don't know why either.
  10. For goodness sake do NOT change the password in any of these friggin' places because you'll have to go edit all the others so the match.

Apparently a lot of this can be avoided if you have Win Pro with Active Directory. But I'm not about to shell out >£100 unless I have a guarantee. Any way, with free availability for catalogs of up to 15K entries, the prosumer, Win 10 Home user is an obvious market segment, so in my view the architecture should support that environment.

I have already asked the question why the application of the single set of credentials in all six places cannot be scripted, because currently it is entirely manual and therefore error prone

OK, good luck!

Let us know how you get on.

- Paul

Thanks for all that information. Still no luck. Even Alex had trouble with it yesterday. The only difference is that I have Win Pro. I will go back and double check everything later today. Perhaps I have a bad password somewhere.

- Greg

Thanks for all that information. Still no luck. Even Alex had trouble with it yesterday. The only difference is that I have Win Pro. I will go back and double check everything later today. Perhaps I have a bad password somewhere.

- Greg

You see? That's what I meant. With Pro versions of Windows I was told it would be easier! Not so much then.nea.gif

- Paul

You see? That's what I meant. With Pro versions of Windows I was told it would be easier! Not so much then.nea.gif

- Paul

No luck again. I've spent so much time on every permutation I'm giving up and leaving this challenge in the able hands of Daminion support.

- Greg

No luck again. I've spent so much time on every permutation I'm giving up and leaving this challenge in the able hands of Daminion support.

- Greg

I'm sorry it's not working for you Greg. The only solace I can offer is that you are not alone. I thought it was me being a bit dim. In a way I'm glad to see that it wasn't just me.

I don't know why this is all so hard.

To me it's just another example of why there needs to be a Synology packaged version of Daminion, to prevent all this. The days of client/server are well past.

Daminion's saving grace is that when it's working it is ace, especially at metadata management.

Do you use Synology Photo Station by the way?

- Paul

No I haven't been using Synology Photo Station.

I agree with you that Daminion organizing capabilities are first rate. I'm also finding that they are also determined to get to the bottom of issues, a critical trait for the best software developers.

A big thanks to Daminion support to help me get the Server working with my Synology NAS. :good: There still is one thing that will stop my Daminion server from running. but can be ignored. The Daminion Server is unable to get access permissions for the file upload folder on the NAS. This turns out to be a minor issue since all other NAS operations including file import work fine. We concluded that Windows Pro workgroup and Synology file sharing aren't at 100% compatibility. I am told that Synology on a Windows Domain, more typical of a commercial team environment, is a smoother installation.

My Daminion Server evaluation continues. Any further comments that I have on the Sever will go where they belong, in the Server forum.

No I haven't been using Synology Photo Station.

I agree with you that Daminion organizing capabilities are first rate. I'm also finding that they are also determined to get to the bottom of issues, a critical trait for the best software developers.

A big thanks to Daminion support to help me get the Server working with my Synology NAS. :good: There still is one thing that will stop my Daminion server from running. but can be ignored. The Daminion Server is unable to get access permissions for the file upload folder on the NAS. This turns out to be a minor issue since all other NAS operations including file import work fine. We concluded that Windows Pro workgroup and Synology file sharing aren't at 100% compatibility. I am told that Synology on a Windows Domain, more typical of a commercial team environment, is a smoother installation.

My Daminion Server evaluation continues. Any further comments that I have on the Sever will go where they belong, in the Server forum.

Re the File Upload Folder, can you tell me some more? Is the folder for the new auto uploads? Where have you located it? In an existing Synology shared folder? What symptoms are you getting. Maybe i can replicate?

My NAS folders are time stamped and Daminion's Add Files rules allow me to do that automatically for camera sourced images and I am comfortable with that. But I'd be interested to hear user experiences from anyone, in case I am missing out on something.

For scans I take a different approach. Post local processing I drop them in to an auto scanned upload folder where I tag and date adjust them before moving them in to time stamped folders. Perhaps auto upload might be helpful there. Maybe I'll go and read the help information!! :)

- Paul

Re the File Upload Folder, can you tell me some more? Is the folder for the new auto uploads? Where have you located it? In an existing Synology shared folder? What symptoms are you getting. Maybe i can replicate?

My NAS folders are time stamped and Daminion's Add Files rules allow me to do that automatically for camera sourced images and I am comfortable with that. But I'd be interested to hear user experiences from anyone, in case I am missing out on something.

For scans I take a different approach. Post local processing I drop them in to an auto scanned upload folder where I tag and date adjust them before moving them in to time stamped folders. Perhaps auto upload might be helpful there. Maybe I'll go and read the help information!! :)

- Paul

I'm referring to the folder that is used when creating a new catalog, "Folder(s) to store uploaded files". If I use a NAS folder in that location the server will not run. So we put a folder in that field that resides on the local drive. To be honest I have no idea what this folder location is supposed to be used for because I have never seen anything put in that folder. I can use "add files" to load files, for example from a SD card.

I also use time stamped folders, by Year > Month > Day. When importing files automatically are loaded in a location by that format. This is very similar to what I used in Lightroom.

I'm referring to the folder that is used when creating a new catalog, "Folder(s) to store uploaded files". If I use a NAS folder in that location the server will not run. So we put a folder in that field that resides on the local drive.

Ah, that one. Yep - I used a local folder too. And i don't understand what it's for either. :)

Perhaps someone can tell us? Please?

- Paul