Keywords Maintenance: bug or feature?

rienvanham

Hello all,

I've been cleaning up the keywords for some photo's (removed location info and persons because they are available in other fields) and saved the keywords to the files. If I look at the Metadata of the photo the deleted keywords are not present anymore.

But: if i click on "retrieve keywords from file" the keywords are back! Question: why are the keywords shown with a "kind of pink" color? If I look at the Metadata it "seems" that the pink keywords come from the tag "Caption-Abstract".

Is this a bug or a feature? Thanks in advance!

Rien

post-2779-0-47861700-1485330824_thumb.png

Thanks all! But I don't get it: I saved the keywords to the file by choosing that command. Doesn't that delete the obsolete keywords from the file?

And, as you can see, the deleted keywords aren't present in the file anymore! (watch the metadata). But still they come back!

That would seem the obvious course to me. I also have a load of images where metadata fields have been deleted from the catalog, but are lurking in the files.

I suppose the counter argument is that if you really mess up and delete a load of keywords by mistake, it's easy to read the data back from the files and then approve them. That's a lot easier than restoring from your last backup.

Perhaps there should be an option '

Do you also want to remove the tag(s) from the file(s)?

Warning! If you proceed this process cannot be undone

Delete from File Cancel

- Paul

Hello,

I did some investigation with Metadata++ which shows all the tags that are available in the file. Under "IPTC\Keywords" only the keywords are stored that I want. I see that all the keywords, that come back which I don't expect, are stored under "XMP Acdsee\Keywords".

SO I think Daminion makes a mistake: it doesn't read the tags from "IPTC\Keywords" only but also from "XMP Acdsee\Keywords". In my opinium that is wrong and thus a bug.

Thanks!

Rien

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I did some investigation with Metadata++ which shows all the tags that are available in the file. Under "IPTC\Keywords" only the keywords are stored that I want. I see that all the keywords, that come back which I don't expect, are stored under "XMP Acdsee\Keywords".

SO I think Daminion makes a mistake: it doesn't read the tags from "IPTC\Keywords" only but also from "XMP Acdsee\Keywords". In my opinium that is wrong and thus a bug.

Thanks!

Rien

Hello Rien,

This is not a bug. This is how Daminion+ACDSee metadata mapping works: Daminion reads metadata from "XMP Acdsee\Keywords", but doesn't writes changes there. If there were no such mapping, ACDSee keywords wouldn't show up in Daminion.

https://daminion.net/files/daminion-metadata-mapping-rules.pdf

Kind regards,

Daria

What it the sense of a program (Daminion) which manages all the tags for you and don't delete the tags where you want get rit off? I've had it for now with Damion and am searching for better software. In the mean time I "do" it with LightRoom which is, by the way, a stable application where Daminion isn't. It crashes/hangs many times a day.

Regards,

Rien

What it the sense of a program (Daminion) which manages all the tags for you and don't delete the tags where you want get rit off? I've had it for now with Damion and am searching for better software. In the mean time I "do" it with LightRoom which is, by the way, a stable application where Daminion isn't. It crashes/hangs many times a day.

Regards,

Rien

Hi Rien

I can't disagree with your sentiment because I also have redundant metadata although I also see the point that there is some value in retaining the unwanted metadata as insurance against a change of heart. But you can only take that argument so far. My unwanted metadata is now so old that its presence is confusing (at best) or even dangerous.

There is no right answer here. Therefore when a user deletes a tag there should be an option for immediate deletion of the metadata, then both needs are accommodated.

I would suggest a system preference something like:

File metadata treatment when a tag is deleted

For which the options would be:

Take no action

Delete on next sync

I agree 100% about the stability issue. It all seems to have gone horribly wrong with 5.0

Lightroom and Photoshop Elements are stable but their metadata management is poor. They even have their own version of undeleted metadata but they do it the other way round. Deleted items may be gone from the UI but they lurk in the database and get written out again when you write tags to file. And edited tags are often not written to the files at all. Instead the relationships to new and old tags are managed in the database.

Some people like Digikam. I have tried it and found it tricky to use and unintuitive.

Like it or not Daminion seems to be the best out there at the moment even though it has lost its crown because of the stability issues (amongst other things).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

- Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm simple searching for the best software (payed) to do my job without crashes/hangs and doing excellent maintaining the tags. In the last few weeks i've tried AfterShot Pro, AcdSee, Zoner, Magix, Ashampoo, Capture One Pro... but they all have there own shortcommings.

Thanks for your comment!

Hi!

I'm not using Daminion daily, but I haven't noticed any stability issues. Maybe it's related to the environment. I have a very simple server environment so it might be the reason I'm not having any issues. I run Daminion Server in Win7/64 SP1 Enterprise, I have the database and images on the local hard disk.

-Juha

Hi Juha,

You're running the server-version of Daminion; I'm using the standalone version. I personally find a fee of $175 / month totally crazy for such a kind of software. Off course I can't compare Daminion with Adobe's Photoshop but they "only" ask about 12 Euro's a month! (I'm living in Holland, so we have Euro's). And that's INCLUDING Lightroom. And it's true what Paul states: Lightroom's managing capabilities aren't as mature as Daminion, but a price of 1000% is madness.

(Sorry for spelling-errors)

Cheers,

Rien.