Running Daminion Server in a VM in NAS

lintujuh

Hi SergeS,

I have just some random thoughts.

•  
  • Have you used pgAdmin III to verify that your database is up and running and you have the right database defined?
  • Have you tried to manually install Postgres (I think you should use 9.x, Uwe has reported some problems with 10) in your VM?

-Juha

Hi SergeS,

I have just some random thoughts.

•  
  • Have you used pgAdmin III to verify that your database is up and running and you have the right database defined?
  • Have you tried to manually install Postgres (I think you should use 9.x, Uwe has reported some problems with 10) in your VM?

-Juha

1) No, I have not. I see in Services the PostGreSQL service is not running and i cannot start it manually.

2) Also no, I haven't. I could try, but i did not now user settings Daminion is using, so how i can configure pqsql after installation?

One point to check is that are there conflicts with the Postgres TCP ports. Do you have one or multiple instances of Postgres running/configured? Do they use same or diffent TCP ports (should be different). Does the port match the port number configured in Daminion Server Admin Panel? I got a similar error when I tried to launch a second instance to the same port.

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\bin>postgres -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data"
2017-11-14 08:06:36 EET LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: No error
2017-11-14 08:06:36 EET HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5433? If not, wait a few seconds and retry.
2017-11-14 08:06:36 EET LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: No error
2017-11-14 08:06:36 EET HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5433? If not, wait a few seconds and retry.
2017-11-14 08:06:36 EET WARNING:  could not create listen socket for "*"
2017-11-14 08:06:36 EET FATAL:  could not create any TCP/IP sockets

1) You could try to start the Postgres server from the command prompt. (Replace 9.x with the correct version.)

C:> cd \Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.x\bin
C:> postgres -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.x\data"

Look also more information from Postgres manual page.

2) Here is Murat's post on upgrading the Postgres. This is applicable also for a fresh installation.

-Juha

One point to check is that are there conflicts with the Postgres TCP ports. Do you have one or multiple instances of Postgres running/configured? Do they use same or diffent TCP ports (should be different). Does the port match the port number configured in Daminion Server Admin Panel? I got a similar error when I tried to launch a second instance to the same port.

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\bin>postgres -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data"
2017-11-14 08:06:36 EET LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: No error
2017-11-14 08:06:36 EET LOG:  could not bind IPv4 socket: No error
2017-11-14 08:06:36 EET WARNING:  could not create listen socket for "*"
2017-11-14 08:06:36 EET FATAL:  could not create any TCP/IP sockets

1) You could try to start the Postgres server from the command prompt. (Replace 9.x with the correct version.)

C:> cd \Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.x\bin
C:> postgres -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.x\data"

Look also more information from Postgres manual page.

2) Here is Murat's post on upgrading the Postgres. This is applicable also for a fresh installation.

-Juha

Ok, thank you. Will try, hopefully, on weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, thanks Daria, so how much RAM would you normally recommend for a windows server

I have installed the virtualisation app from Synology on my NAS and i have already created a Windows 10 System inside. The next step will be an installation of Daminion Server as a trial within this vm. I am very interested in speed behaviour.

Btw. my NAS has 8GB of Ram and the VM is allowed to consume 6 of it.

• Upvote 1

So installation worked very well, but there are some issues, that i am facing and its a pitty, that i have no time for solving them.

- My VM and my photo storage are on the same NAS, that seems to be a non-ideal configuration.

- I have to create a new user for the Daminion service, this user must be known to the NAS-OS for access to the photo folders, and must be known to the Windows VM,

Daminion is working smooth but slow, i think the Windows 10 overhead, just for the installation is somewhat over exaggerated for this NAS.

So actually i will stick with Daminion Standalone and have to find some solution for my Metadata problems.

Maybe Daminion will someday offer an cloud-solution. Actually the Daminion server is a fantastic application, but my NAS is not a sufficient Windows Server.

Thanks for the update Guido

It doesn't look as though the cost of upgrading my Disk Station's RAM is justified then. Ah well.

Of course, the problem is that you need to run Windows in the VM. To be honest that's always going to be a challenge on the relatively low CPU spec on a NAS drive. You'd be better off with a relatively low spec'd PC running 24/7 as a "proper" server.

But there's no way I'm doing that. I'm trying to get away from a Windows platform, utilising cloud services (my own private cloud using Synology NAS will always be my preference).

I am dependent on Windows for three apps:

1. Photoshop (I could go CC)

2. SnagIt (not aware of a comparable cloud solution)

3. Daminion (I am one of the many who have voted for a Daminion/Synology package)

If I could any 2 of the three, I'd compromise on the third

• Upvote 1

One option I came across is Wine.It doesn't require a full Windows to be run in a VM, but it interprets the Windows calls to Linux. There are at least for QNAP prebuilt packages (https://www.forum-nas.fr/viewtopic.php?t=4383). At least in theory it should be possible to run Daminion Server under Wine.

I can try to install Wine in my Ubuntu laptop and install Daminioin Server on Ubuntu. If that works, I can try to repeat the setup in my QNAP box.

I'll be busy until Christmas, but during the holidays, I'll have time to experiment. I'll keep you posted.

-Juha

• Upvote 1

Hi Juha,

that sounds very interesting. On the Synology NAS we have the opportunity to use Docker. I have to look wether there are already prebuild WINE/Docker packages.

Maybe that would give some speed improvements.

At work we use Docker a lot, and the improvements "againts" standard VMs are very impressive.

Hi Juha,

that sounds very interesting. On the Synology NAS we have the opportunity to use Docker. I have to look wether there are already prebuild WINE/Docker packages.

Maybe that would give some speed improvements.

At work we use Docker a lot, and the improvements "againts" standard VMs are very impressive.

I just found this. It's gibberish to me. :)

Of course, we wouldn't have to resort to extreme measures like these if there were a Daminion NAS Package. They mostly run Linux so porting to the top two vendors, Synology and QNAP should be a shoe in.

This has been the number 1 customer request for a long time but..... nothing....

Maybe we should do a kickstarter project and write our own?

- Paul

Hi,

I have been trying to run Daminion Server under Wine in an Ubuntu VM, but without success. :negative:

I installed

• the latest Wine (3.0-rc3),
  • mono (.NET framework),
  • winetricks and
  • wsh57 (with winetricks)

but I'm stuck. :help::dash2:

Daminion Server installation fails in two separate issues:

1. PostgreSQL installation
  2. Missing certificates

The PostgreSQL installation fails with message "Unable to write inside TEMP environment variable path". I suspect that Wine fails to run a .vbs script inside the installation. See https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/[email protected]

Near the end of the installation the installation complains about missing certificates and asks to manually install Windows Server 2003 Admin Tools. When I downloaded them from Microsoft website, and tried to install them, they wouldn't install on Win7. The installer wanted an XP Pro.

-Juha

• 11 months later...

So here's the spec of the latest "under powered" NAS from Synology - which I might upgrade to next year

post-3427-0-62882000-1543569502_thumb.jpg

I'm not going to repeat the plea for a Synology Package - that's clearly never going to happen.

No, the point is, this new box is certified to run a Windows 2016 Server VM. With a quad core 2.1GHz processor and up to 32GB RAM it will easily perform that task as well as all the other apps I run, giving me a one-box solution. The downside is I'm going to have to learn another OS

It's not cheap, but then neither is my current DS916+ 8GB / DX513 expansion combo.

What do you think?

So here's the spec of the latest "under powered" NAS from Synology - which I might upgrade to next year

post-3427-0-62882000-1543569502_thumb.jpg

I'm not going to repeat the plea for a Synology Package - that's clearly never going to happen.

No, the point is, this new box is certified to run a Windows 2016 Server VM. With a quad core 2.1GHz processor and up to 32GB RAM it will easily perform that task as well as all the other apps I run, giving me a one-box solution. The downside is I'm going to have to learn another OS

It's not cheap, but then neither is my current DS916+ 8GB / DX513 expansion combo.

What do you think?

I don't know how much you like to tinker around but have you heard of Xpenology? It is an open source version of the Synology DSM software. Basically you install the Synology operating system on your own hardware.

It might be worth taking a look at if you have a computer that could be temporarily repurposed while you try it out.

There are several links online and videos on Youtube.

Here is one to get you started if you have an interest:

https://xpenology.org/

Frank Hahn

Hi Frank

Yes I have heard of Xpenology and I was interested until I found this on a site:

So we decided to directly ask Synology France the question and here are their answers: " You should know that the use of XPEnology is illegal, and violates the intellectual property of Synology while infringing its copyright. And the manufacturer says: " It is not allowed to install DSM on another server and can pose legal problems. DSM consists of two parts: GPL and our proprietary software. Finally, " Synology has not granted third-party rights to install our own software on non-Synology servers. "

Plus, since I rely heavily on Synology packages and their Support I decided to play safe

Hi Frank

Yes I have heard of Xpenology and I was interested until I found this on a site:

So we decided to directly ask Synology France the question and here are their answers: " You should know that the use of XPEnology is illegal, and violates the intellectual property of Synology while infringing its copyright. And the manufacturer says: " It is not allowed to install DSM on another server and can pose legal problems. DSM consists of two parts: GPL and our proprietary software. Finally, " Synology has not granted third-party rights to install our own software on non-Synology servers. "

Plus, since I rely heavily on Synology packages and their Support I decided to play safe

I saw a couple of videos on Youtube where people had power issues with fairly new Synology devices (home/small business sized).

Because of that and how they seem to be under powered, I thought the Xpenology software might be a way to go. I have not seen anything saying the Xpenology software was illegal so that is new to me.

Frank Hahn

• 2 years later...