Which Server to choose for Daminion Server

rene

Hello Daminion Users,

I would like everyone to post his Server configuration!

I'm currently running Daminion Server on the follwing machine:

HP DataVault x300, 4GB-RAM, Intel Atom 330 Dual Core 1,6GHz, Windows Home Server, 2x 2ZB Festplatten.

I'm asking because I want to know which configuraation works best. My Machine is pretty much at it's limitss.

like 200 images per page etc.

So I need a new one, that can share HD-Videos on the Homenetwork using Twonky or something. Furtheremore it should be accessable through the Internet and do not have a monitor attached.

I'm asking here, because Daminion Server needs to run, therefore I thought the main question is, is Daminion Server running or not.

regards René!

I am running a Windows 7 64-bit machine with 4GB of memory for my Daminion server. The processor is an Intel Core 2 Duo running at 3.0 GHz. It is not strictly used for Daminion. This system is used by others in the house and I also have these programs running:

Universal Media Server - Serves video to TV

ServeToMe - Serves video to Apple devices

UltraVNC

Qloud Server - Serves video to Android devices

Sabnzbd

Sick Beard

I have Daminion Server set at the default to display 1000 thumbnails per page. It is slow when working on this system directly but it is not that bad accessing the system via a laptop.

I have approximately 40,000 images, etc stored on a second hard drive in this setup. It is an older system that I built 5 years or so ago. At the time, I built it as a home theater computer.

I don't know about the Intel Atom processors but I would think your bottleneck is with the processor. Can it serve your video without problems. The PostGresSQL database may also be a part of the problem. PostgresSQL likes to start a lot of processes which could also be a problem.

Frank Hahn

Thanks Frank,

I thought about using a Server OS in order to have it working more smoothly via remote and because I do not need to have a monitor, mouse and keyboard attached to the computer.

About your analysis with the Atom processor you might be right! I need to check that before I purchase a new one!

Thanks Frank,

I thought about using a Server OS in order to have it working more smoothly via remote and because I do not need to have a monitor, mouse and keyboard attached to the computer.

About your analysis with the Atom processor you might be right! I need to check that before I purchase a new one!

I meant to say in my first post but I am using Windows 7 64-bit Home edition.

Unfortunately, I know very little about the server editions of Windows. I would assume there are very few processes running but that may not be the case. There may be some Windows services that can be stopped from running that might also help.

The only reason I mention the Atom processor is that some of the first netbooks we bought at work had Atom processors in them and I thought they were terribly slow. The new processors may be a lot more powerful.

Frank Hahn

I don't know if there is anything online but it might be worthwhile checking to see if PostgresSQL has any suggested processor requirements.

I'm guessing you want disk I/O. For my home system, I am using two 250 GB mechanical disk drives. One has the OS and one has my main picture storage that I have Daminion Server pointed towards.

I have several backups that I store on other computers. One is a NAS and the other is a Linux system.

Frank Hahn

Hello,

here is my configuration:

Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @3,4GHz

16GB RAM

120GB SSD Operating System Win7-64bit

1000GB SSD Workdevice: temp folders, Daminion Thumbnails and Cache, etc

some internal hard disc (installed as one dynamic partition) to store the backup of OS and NAS

Certon NAS for all media files

1GBit LAN

This is a normal PC and the Daminion Server is running parallel to the daily work.

Regards, Uwe