Group behaviour (1163)

kalain

Hi,

I'm a bit surprised about Group behaviour.

When selecting several thumbnail and group them with Ctrl+G. (Ok good)

Now, I can Split/unsplit this group by Ctrl+T. (Ok, excellent)

But, on a group (when grouped), if I add a keyword (right panel), I expect to add it on all grouped thumbnail!?

But, keywords is added only on first thumbnail!

Is this a feature or a bug ?

Regards

For me, Group feature is to group items (pictures) with same subject and then if you add a tag on top group thumbnail, I expect to add it for all grouped images.

If you do not want this behaviour, so expand group and add an item at only first group item.

With this behaviour, it gives more sense at Group feature ?

(Visually grouped over one thumbnail and also behave as a group (add tags))

For me, Group feature is to group items (pictures) with same subject and then if you add a tag on top group thumbnail, I expect to add it for all grouped images.

Inspite the fact that images in the group usually belong to the same subject - you can apply different Rating, Color Label, or Flag for items within the same group.

Another issue is:

- Assume that you grouped 5 JPEGs and 5 TIFFs

- Now you filtered thumbnails by JPEG format

- You will see a grouped thhumbnail 5 files

- You expand it, and see that all images are almost identical

- And apply a tag to the collapsed group thumbnail

Should we also apply this tag for JPEGs only or for JPEGs + TIFFs?

As group is visual, apply WYSIWYG rules. (WYSIWYG : What You See Is What You Get)

So, should be applied only for JPEG.

This is the problem. I can just forgot that not all files from the group are displayed. Because the stack is collapsed and I don't remember whether this stack contains 5 or 10 items.

Hello,

my question: For what is the group function good for or what is the goal when I use it? How do I use the group function?

At the moment I use it for panorama photos. I use Autopano Giga in the most cases. The source files are DNG. The final format of the panorama is TIF. All temporary files to create the panorama (TIF format, project files etc) are not in the catalog and will be deleted when the panorama is ok.

The next can be HDR or stacked photos (macro photos).

What does it mean? From my point of view all of the source files are not relevant regarding different "Rating", "Color", etc. From the point of view of the final panorama photo they are like "temporary" photos. That means they should have the same tags like the final photo or the final photo succeeds all tags from the source files because in the most cases I create the panorama after some time when the source files are already tagged.

What is not the goal for me to use the group function? I don't use it as a substitute for Collection Tag, Project Tag etc.

From that point of view: if I assign the collapsed group to a tag e.g. Collection, only the top photo, in this case the final panorama is assigned to the Collection tag. When the group is expanded I can decide which items of the group should to be assigned to the Collection tag.

Regards, Uwe

This is the problem. I can just forgot that not all files from the group are displayed. Because the stack is collapsed and I don't remember whether this stack contains 5 or 10 items.

item number displayed on top right corner help a lot for this.

And, if I do not remember or forgot what's group contains, I do not mind to quick expand/collapase group (with Ctrl+T) to refresh my memory.

• 4 months later...

Hi!

I'm returning to this old thread after playing around with grouping and linking.

I had a bunch of recently taken photos, their edit recipes and RAW originals. I linked the items together and grouped them in order to "remove clutter" from the catalog pane. But I didn't do any tagging on the single image files before grouping and linking.

Now I have some 550+ image files/180 groups collapsed. Unfortunately Ctrl+T works only on a single group, not on multiple selected groups. Also assigning a tag assigns the tag only to the top item. Now I have to open the groups one-by-one so that I can assign the tags. :negative:

Now when Daminion has also linking that is stronger logical relation between the images, assigning a tag to a linked image, would propagate the tag down in that branch. Assigning a tag to a leaf level image would change only that single image, but assigning a tag to the top node, would assign it to all images in the hierarchy? (Or am I just trying to avoid of selecting individually 180 groups and pressing 180 times Ctrl+T)

-Juha

Now I have some 550+ image files/180 groups collapsed. Unfortunately Ctrl+T works only on a single group, not on multiple selected groups. Also assigning a tag assigns the tag only to the top item. Now I have to open the groups one-by-one so that I can assign the tags. :negative:

Now when Daminion has also linking that is stronger logical relation between the images, assigning a tag to a linked image, would propagate the tag down in that branch. Assigning a tag to a leaf level image would change only that single image, but assigning a tag to the top node, would assign it to all images in the hierarchy? (Or am I just trying to avoid of selecting individually 180 groups and pressing 180 times Ctrl+T)

Hello,

this is a "must have" for me. It's painful to work group by group.

There are different options from my point of view:

1. explode/collapse: an additional popup window: do you want to explode/collapse all groups that are part of the selection (the groups are manually selected) or explode/collapse all (affects all groups of thumbnail window)?

2. a small pull down menu (bottom or top of the thumbnail window) or additionall entries in the menu "Items->Grouping": show groups only (mark/unmark like the selection of a window in the menu Window), explode all groups, collapse all groups (affects all items of the thumbnail window)

I prefer option 2.

Regards, Uwe

• 1 month later...

Hello,

this is a "must have" for me. It's painful to work group by group.

There are different options from my point of view:

1. explode/collapse: an additional popup window: do you want to explode/collapse all groups that are part of the selection (the groups are manually selected) or explode/collapse all (affects all groups of thumbnail window)?

2. a small pull down menu (bottom or top of the thumbnail window) or additionall entries in the menu "Items->Grouping": show groups only (mark/unmark like the selection of a window in the menu Window), explode all groups, collapse all groups (affects all items of the thumbnail window)

I prefer option 2.

Regards, Uwe

I agree, global grouping/ungrouping is a must. I had to rearrange some metadata in a set with many groups and it was a nightmare.

-- Mariusz

• 6 months later...