Full screen images not rendered

Yorkie71

I have been using Daminion for a little while now in a trial capacity. I see it as the only real digital media cataloguing tool that's worth bothering with and believe me, I have tried many.

I am encouraged by the frequent updates and improvements and I am on the verge of paying for the full version, however there is one issue that is causing some frustration and if it was fixed that would be great.

When viewing in full screen mode, the photo either seems to take a long time to render or does not render at all. This makes the viewing of photos within the program impossible.

It has been something that I have lived with as I have viewed my pictures via other means and have used Daminion as a tagging tool but this needs to be fixed.

My photos are based on my NAS and can be viewed in full screen by any other application I care to use so I'm certain the issue is not with speed of access.

Any suggestions?

When viewing in full screen mode, the photo either seems to take a long time to render or does not render at all. This makes the viewing of photos within the program impossible.

Build 1026. Fullscreen mode shows me only stretched thumbnail. Speed problem solved. :good2: It's now fast as never before.:dance2:

But... :dash2:

Build 1026. Fullscreen mode shows me only stretched thumbnail. Speed problem solved. :good2: It's now fast as never before.:dance2:

But... :dash2:

Yes. I get the same. As you say, it loads super quick but I'm viewing mega sized thumbnails!

Not quite the fix I was after. I have faith though that this will be sorted. In the meantime I'll just view via my Synology apps.

And I have a total mess with media formats. My videos are described as TIFFs (edited with LightZone, that can't edit video), actual TIFFs are marked as JPGs etc. Removing from catalogue and reimporting helps; removing 100+ files from catalogue tends to crash Daminion. Files, reimported via rescan, render OK in full screen.

And I have a total mess with media formats. My videos are described as TIFFs (edited with LightZone, that can't edit video), actual TIFFs are marked as JPGs etc. Removing from catalogue and reimporting helps; removing 100+ files from catalogue tends to crash Daminion. Files, reimported via rescan, render OK in full screen.

Reimport is very bad way. I do not use synchronization of catalog with files and do not want to start.

Hi,

Build 1022

all is ok

installed Build 1028 over 1022

same issue

- no rendering in full screen mode

- also preview window is black, no foto

4 fotos deleted in catalog and re-imported

- these fotos will be shown in full screen mode ok, other fotos are not rendered

- these fotos will be shown in preview window, other fotos only black

installed Build 1022 over Build 1028

all ist ok

Conclusion: I cannot update :help:

Pictor

"Reimport is very bad way", certainly; if you invest time in your catalogue, it is unacceptable. I prefer keeping metadata in images, and since my biggest catalogue (14.000 photos, jpg and cr2) became unusable anyway, I removed and reimported all. It took an hour, but now everything seems to work (with some old quirks, like missing "artist" for raw images).

All other catalogues, previously edited with older versions, are broken, with full screen showing stretched thumbnails or black screen, sometimes with blinking "rendering" and "opening" message, and Media Formats data completely confused. I wouldn't suggest fiddling with catalogues, containing database-only information.

[1028]

I have the same issue with the server version (1028). But I think it's not a good idea to recreate the catalogue :-(

Guys don't forget, the latest official build is 994!

For the unofficial builds still applies this:

"You should to take into account that these nightly builds will not be properly tested and might contain some bugs. Use them on your own risk and with test media/image collections."

Hi,

@wilfried

I have two sytems: one for testing and one for "production". So I install new "nightly builds" first in the test-system. If there are no problems and I read nothing about major issus in the forum, then I decide if I install this version in the production environment.

Therfore 1022 is the latetes version (production) for me. All newer versions are at the moment "no go"!

==========================================================================

But I disovered an interesting point:

- it seems, that you can go back to an older version (if there are no changes in the meantime in the structure of the database)

Nightly builds

These versions are for testing by the users. Only with this testing, DAMINION can improve this awesome product. If we don't test, the program will remain at a low level.

This issue (no rendering in full screen view) is very serious. And the users have found it.

Therfore, I (and also other users) will continue to test DAMINION, to get a product of hight quality.

Without the help of users, you can't develop today an exelent product, or you must have enormous ressources (and this no one can pay anymore).

So, folks, enjoy a nice and sunny sunday.

Pictor

P.S. I've noticed, that there ist a new nightly build (1029). But today, my test-office is closed

• Upvote 1

Just I started daminion with build 1028 and and and

???????????????????????????????????????????????

it is all ok now !!!!!!!!!

the full screen images are rendered

the preview is no more black

I don't no why.

Murat, did you install a blocking period, which has expired today???

I tested it on 2 PCs.

I am speechless. This is why I love computer (programs). You never know what happens

I will test tomorrow again.

And now I enjoy sunday (with no IT)

A helples Pictor

Lucky you! Still have the problem, that fullscreen images are blurred [1029].

In Build 1029 it seems to works fine for me. But I had the impression in the previous builds it was an intermittent problem which only appeared under certain conditions. It also seems to be dependent on the CPU utilization. When you open the full screen image it is always shown in a low resolution, which refines quickly. Depending on how busy and powerful your processor is, it can be a fraction of a second or several seconds.

I noticed the same when using the "magnifier" (left mouse click to show a part in full size).

Hi guys! Thanks a lot for your contribution with developing our Daminion :good:

As Pictor said, without our users, their feedbacks and testing we can't make a world-class DAM software. So our team is really appreciated your participating and your time that you spend with the Daminion! We are always ready to hear any feedback about the Daminion, especially the negative ones!

The problem with blurry images will be fixed soon.

It has been something that I have lived with as I have viewed my pictures via other means and have used Daminion as a tagging tool but this needs to be fixed.

My photos are based on my NAS and can be viewed in full screen by any other application I care to use so I'm certain the issue is not with speed of access.

Any suggestions?

Could you please give me more info:

1. With what image format do you see this issue mainly?

2. Do you work with local or shared catalog?

2.1. If you work with a shared catalog how your images were imported: by uploading or by file references?

3. What's the average image size (dimension and file size). Please send me a few sample images for testing.

4. What time is required to load and render these images on your side?

5. Do you see the same performance issue if you'll copy images to a local drive?

6. What's your PC configuration?

In spite of what I said earlier ("In Build 1029 it seems to works fine for me."), there is still problem with rendering. While it works fine for some images, it does not render others correctly. One time I saw the text "Rendering ..." on the bottom of the display and I waited a couple of minutes, but neither the text did disappear nor did the resolution improve. I opened the image with Picasa Photo Viewer to verify it can be displayed in higher resolution. Opening the same image again did not show the text, but the low resolution stayed.

These are JPG in all cases (rendering and not rendering) on a a local catalog.

Dimension is 4896x3672x24 and size is 7152 KB, for an image which cannot be rendered and 7065 KB for an image which can be rendered with the same dimension.

In both cases the full screen opens in a fraction of a second. The one which renders fine, needs about a second to refine the picture. Too short to measure the time, but the low resolution is visible for a moment.

One more thing I noticed:

When I try to Compare with Current Version In Item Audit History (with one of images which does not render correctly), I only see the current version, but the right side of the panel stays black.

As Pictor said, without our users, their feedbacks and testing we can't make a world-class DAM software. So our team is really appreciated your participating and your time that you spend with the Daminion! We are always ready to hear any feedback about the Daminion, especially the negative ones!

So why some OLD bugs are still here? I tired to up ignored topics.

Topics without replies don't mean that we ignore them or don't read them.

Unfortunatelly it's not possible to write a software without bugs when there millions of code rows, hundreds of units and libraries, hundreds of different formats and metadata fields each of them should be processed differently, with complex threads and multi-tier architecture. And some bugs might appear again.