German user of Daminion

Uwe

Hello,

a half year ago I made the first translation into German. Sometimes there are still English texts in the German version. In some cases it belongs to new developments which are not yet translated but already in the published beta release - that's ok. Sometimes it's just a bug - ok.

I would like to ask you to improve the translation. If you are not satisfied with the German translation of some functions, text, expressions etc., please make a post here in the forum to discuss it to have the best one in the first official release.

E.g. I didn't translate the word "tag" because I didn't found a word that fits for me when I made the first translation. Now I don't think about a new translation for this word. I have an IT background and have no problem with some "Denglish" when the German translation is to complex/to long etc. Sometimes I didn't want to take words that are already used by other programs (maybe competitors) to avoid conflicts for Daminion.

So, please help to get a better German version with your help.

Regards, Uwe

E.g. I didn't translate the word "tag" because I didn't found a word that fits for me when I made the first translation. Now I don't think about a new translation for this word.

Glad to see the word "tag" is also not so easy to translate in German. There is same kind of 'problem' in French.

Sometimes I didn't want to take words that are already used by other programs (maybe competitors) to avoid conflicts for Daminion.

I do not see any problem to use same word or same terminology to describe features which are similar to other software.

Regards

Alain

Glad to see the word "tag" is also not so easy to translate in German. There is same kind of 'problem' in French.

I'm translating Daminion to Spanish and have the same problem. Tag and label has the same direct translation in Spanish

Which word are you using? Thinking of something like

"anotación" (Spanish) / "annotation" (French)

or

"dato" (Spanish)/ "donnée" (French)

but it thing it more logical to have a common criteria

I'm translating Daminion to Spanish and have the same problem. Tag and label has the same direct translation in Spanish

Which word are you using? Thinking of something like

"anotación" (Spanish) / "annotation" (French)

or

"dato" (Spanish)/ "donnée" (French)

but it thing it more logical to have a common criteria

Yes, there was a discussion about this in French.

Several kind of data are grouped and displayed in Properties panel.

There is :

- Technical datas : EXIF

- user's data : XMP,

- and may be some specific Daminion datas.

These could also be called Metadata but Properties (Propriétés) is more generic and include EXIF, XMP data or whatever.

In other hand some translation has been done with "balise" (tag) in order to describe individual data field.

"Balise" is the technical word used inside XMP format file (Same as html file or similar) but I don't think this is the best traduction for a final user.

In order to stay as much as possible "generic", may be the best way to translate this would be "Propriétés" which include all technical datas and terms used to describe a photo. (EXIF, XMP, the way it's handled in file format : Balise, ...)

Anyway, I see that's not easy to find the right translation even in Spanish.

Alain

I think it can be used Properties if referred to EXIF's, but I think it can't be applied to data entered by user

Sometimes, tag is referred to a field, sometimes to the content of that field (data entered), sometimes to a property... I'm tempted to mantain TAG untranslated (seriously). This way, we'll produce "Daminion Terminology" and solve the problem. What do you think?

PS: I speak a bit of French

I think it can be used Properties if referred to EXIF's, but I think it can't be applied to data entered by user

This is what's already done in Properties panel. Exif and user datas are displayed in same panel named "Properties"

Sometimes, tag is referred to a field, sometimes to the content of that field (data entered), sometimes to a property... I'm tempted to mantain TAG untranslated (seriously). This way, we'll produce "Daminion Terminology" and solve the problem. What do you think?

"Properties" is a general name which can include all these kind of datas.

In order to keep it simple and easily understandable, It would be better to stay with only few words (or translations in your language) to describe these different kind of datas.

This is why, I do not mind to use "Properties" for this bunch of datas.

If you start to describe precisely (and correctly) all these kind of datas with lots of differents words, most of users will be a bit lost in this "jungle" words.

Let it as 'TAG' !

Why not, if it's easily understandable in Spanish.

It could be the same in French. (TAG would be a general name for all this kind of stuff.)

Regards

My 2 rubles:

Brief info:

- Tag is a criterion that can be used to describe a document or an image.

- Tag is a database field.

- Each tag is mapped to a series of metadata field (native metadata, EXIF, IPTC, XMP)

1. We leaved the TAG term in the Russian translation as is (but using Cyrillic symbols).

In PicaJet we used the "Categories" term, but now Categories is a subset of the Tags.

2. "Properties" panel contains a list of tags of selected images that you can edit in one place. We inherited the "Properties" term from the PicaJet and don't name it as "Tags" to distinguish from the "Catalog Tags" panel.

There is :

- Technical datas : EXIF

- user's data : XMP,

"User Data" can be mapped to EXIF tags either, for example EXIF:XPTitle, EXIF:XPDescription, etc...

First of all I would like to say thank you to Uwe, for doing the German translation of Daminion. :good2:

Following are some translations/changes I would like to suggest.

The label "places" on the right hand properties panel is translated into "IPTC-Bild" (= IPTC-image), which is imo not well suiting. I would rather suggest to use "Ort" (= place) or "Lokation" (= location)

As for the metadata fields: [Country], [state], [City] and [Location], I would suggest to use following German translations instead:

[Land], [bundesland/Kanton], [stadt], [Ort]

The English words "country" and "state" do have more or less the same meaning (=Country) in German. Therefore I would like to suggest to use the German word "Bundesland" which is also valid for Austria. And not to forget for our German speaking Swiss neighbors, who uses there own term "Kanton".

File menu / command: "Listanzeige" in ("Anzeige" -> "Anzeige Modus" -> "Listanzeige")

I would suggest to use the term "Listenansicht".

File menu / command: "Kundeneigene Tags" in (" Katalog" -> " Kundeneigene Tags ")

I would suggest to use the better describing term "Benutzerdefinierte Tags".

(As for the English word "tag" I do either have no suitable German translation for it.)

File menu / command: "Flag festlegen" in ("Element" -> " Flag festlegen ")

I would suggest to use the German equivalent "Markierung festlegen".

File menu / command: "Startup Wizard" in ("Hilfe" -> "Startup Wizard")

I would suggest to change it into "Import Assistent".

That´s all for now.

...sort of funny to discuss about German specifics in English isn´t it? ;)

Regards

The label "places" on the right hand properties panel is translated into "IPTC-Bild" (= IPTC-image), which is imo not well suiting. I would rather suggest to use "Ort" (= place) or "Lokation" (= location)

As for the metadata fields: [Country], [state], [City] and [Location], I would suggest to use following German translations instead:

[Land], [bundesland/Kanton], [stadt], [Ort]

Thank you Rawshooter for your suggestions and Daminion should take your recommendations. Maybe we can take Stadt/Gemeinde to include the villages. I took "IPTC-Bild" because this is used in Adobe Lightroom as title text of this set of single tags.

File menu / command: "Listanzeige" in ("Anzeige" -> "Anzeige Modus" -> "Listanzeige")

I would suggest to use the term "Listenansicht".

File menu / command: "Kundeneigene Tags" in (" Katalog" -> " Kundeneigene Tags ")

I would suggest to use the better describing term "Benutzerdefinierte Tags".

File menu / command: "Flag festlegen" in ("Element" -> " Flag festlegen ")

I would suggest to use the German equivalent "Markierung festlegen".

File menu / command: "Startup Wizard" in ("Hilfe" -> "Startup Wizard")

I would suggest to change it into "Import Assistent".

[/Quote]

I also recommend to use your suggestions above.

country --> Land

state --> Bundesland/Kanton

city --> Stadt/Gemeinde

location --> Ort

details --> Listenansicht

custom tags --> Benutzerdefinierte Tags

flag --> Markierung

Startup Wizzard --> Import Assistent

Yes it's funny to talk in English about the German translation but this is the only way Daminion can follow the discussion and really funny is to follow the discussion of the other "Non-English" in this post.

Thank you and best regards

Uwe

Maybe we can take Stadt/Gemeinde to include the villages.

Good idea, that makes it more precise.

(For non German readers: Gemeinde = Municipality)

I took "IPTC-Bild" because this is used in Adobe Lightroom as title text of this set of single tags.

Oh yes. This is, because the location part is only a subset of this title text "IPTC-Bild".

It also includes a fiew more fields like genre or create Date which Daminion doesn´t use at this place.

...this is the only way Daminion can follow the discussion

Yes, of course.

Regards

Hello,

I would like to ask for your suggestions:

There are some "old" translations or "not translated words" and new texts that come with new functions. Maybe you find a better translation:

1. (old) shared catalog - gemeinsamer Katalog

I didn't find a better German word to explain that this is a catalog in the network/on network folder that can be used by multiple computer/user

2. (old) Enter - Enter

I didn't translate it. "Datenfreigabe" is to long and "old". My German keyboard: "Enter" is written on the key.

3. (old) Rescan (rescan folder) - Rescan

I did'nt translate "rescan". "Verzeichnis neu einlesen"? In Adobe Lightroom they use "synchronisieren". That means to synchronize the folder with the catalog.

4. (old) Check in/Check out - Check in/Check out

I didn't translate it because I didn't find a German translation that fits for me.

5. (old) download/upload - download/upload

I didn't translate it because "download/upload" is used in German (Runterladen/hochladen)?

6. (old) Plugin - Plugin

I didn't translate it because "Plugin" is used in German but maybe we can use "Zusatzmodul"?

7. (old) button - button

I didn't translate it because "button" is used in German but maybe we don't need the word - "press Download button" - "Drücken Sie "Download" "

8. (old) sidecar - sidecar

I didn't translate it because I didn't find a German translation that fits for me (sidecar XMP).

9. (old) render - render

I didn't translate it because I didn't find a German translation that fits for me and "render" is used in German to describe the "render process"

10. (old) search - Suche

(old) query - Abfrage

I'm not really happy with this translations I made some time ago because one can use the (Advanced) Search and one can save the Search criteria but in other cases Daminion uses "query" that I translated to "Abfrage".

My question to the German users: should we take one German word for both of the English words, maybe "Suche" or "Abfrage". From my point of view it's similar because one creates a DB query to search something.

Daminion_731_Search_vs_Query.JPG

11. (new) Map - Map vs. Landkarte

I don't know if we should translate "Map" to "Landkarte" even if this is the correct translation because we use "Google Maps" in German and not "Google Landkarte".

General: I tried to use "Element/item" when I mean an object in the catalog and "Datei/file" if this is a file on disc. In the English texts it's mixed. They often use "file" instaed of "item". E.g., "Remove Missing Files from Catalog" - In this case the item should be removed from catalog because the file on disc is missing.

Regards, Uwe

<part 1/2> (too many quotes for one post ;)

1. (old) shared catalog - gemeinsamer Katalog

I didn't find a better German word to explain that this is a catalog in the network/on network folder that can be used by multiple computer/user

How about "Mehrbenutzer Katalog"? (=Multi user catalog) ?

The word "Mehrbenutzer" is quite common in the netware enviroment.

2. (old) Enter - Enter

I didn't translate it. "Datenfreigabe" is to long and "old". My German keyboard: "Enter" is written on the key.

Agree.

3. (old) Rescan (rescan folder) - Rescan

I did'nt translate "rescan". "Verzeichnis neu einlesen"? In Adobe Lightroom they use "synchronisieren". That means to synchronize the folder with the catalog.

MediaPro is using the words "Ordner aktualisieren", which I would much prefer because it describes best what is happening. (Ordner aktualisieren=Updating folder)

As for the words "folder" and "path" in general I would suggest to use the correct German translations "Ordner" and "Pfad". The word "Verzeichnis" comes from the good old MS-DOS times and it´s just outdated since windows 95 I guess.

4. (old) Check in/Check out - Check in/Check out

I didn't translate it because I didn't find a German translation that fits for me.

Me either. Need to check which tranlslation other software is using for the same functionality.

5. (old) download/upload - download/upload

I didn't translate it because "download/upload" is used in German (Runterladen/hochladen)?

Agree for keeping "download/upload"

6. (old) Plugin - Plugin

I didn't translate it because "Plugin" is used in German but maybe we can use "Zusatzmodul"?

Yes, "Zusatzmodul" is the right German word and should be used.

<part 2/2>

7. (old) button - button

I didn't translate it because "button" is used in German but maybe we don't need the word - "press Download button" - "Drücken Sie "Download" "

The German word for button is "Befehlsschaltfläche".

Though I don´t like that word either, it is the correct translation for that.

As for "drücken" I would suggest to better use "klicken" instead which is more often used in those cases.

That said, I would suggest the following:

"press Download button" -> "Klicken Sie auf "Download"

8. (old) sidecar - sidecar

I didn't translate it because I didn't find a German translation that fits for me (sidecar XMP).

Yes, me too, but at least I would suggest to use "XMP-Datei" instead of "sidecar" which has no meaning at all in German.

9. (old) render - render

I didn't translate it because I didn't find a German translation that fits for me and "render" is used in German to describe the "render process"

Agree.

10. (old) search - Suche

(old) query - Abfrage

I'm not really happy with this translations I made some time ago because one can use the (Advanced) Search and one can save the Search criteria but in other cases Daminion uses "query" that I translated to "Abfrage".

My question to the German users: should we take one German word for both of the English words, maybe "Suche" or "Abfrage". From my point of view it's similar because one creates a DB query to search something.

As for me, I´m for "suche" for all and I think it´s the same for English. @Murat, what do you think? Is it necessary in English to distinguish between "search" and "query"?

11. (new) Map - Map vs. Landkarte

I don't know if we should translate "Map" to "Landkarte" even if this is the correct translation because we use "Google Maps" in German and not "Google Landkarte".

"Google Maps" is a trademark. Trademarks and proper names should never be translated. Or are you calling it MS-Fenster in German if you mean MS Windows? ;)

For "map" I would suggest "Karte" because "Landkarte" is wrong at this place.

General: I tried to use "Element/item" when I mean an object in the catalog and "Datei/file" if this is a file on disc. In the English texts it's mixed. They often use "file" instaed of "item". E.g., "Remove Missing Files from Catalog" - In this case the item should be removed from catalog because the file on disc is missing.

I agree, this has to be cleared at first in English I guess.

Regards

Hi Rawshooter,

thank you for the comments. I've adjusted the translation regarding your suggestions and sent it to Murat. Please have a look on it in the next Daminion version to find out errors or a better translation.

Regards, Uwe

...I've adjusted the translation regarding your suggestions and sent it to Murat.

Wow, that fast? Unfortunately I´m not finish yet. There are a lot more things in the Excel Sheet I'm going through right now.

Please have a look on it in the next Daminion version to find out errors or a better translation.

Well, it´s much easier and faster to re-check the Excel sheet instead of digging into all the menus, commands and settings in the program.

I think the easiest way is if I add my corrections/suggestions in a new column right beside the old text strings and upload (or email) this excel sheet. What do you think?

@Murat, is it okay for you to re-post that corrected Excel sheet?

Regards

Well, it´s much easier and faster to re-check the Excel sheet instead of digging into all the menus, commands and settings in the program.

I think the easiest way is if I add my corrections/suggestions in a new column right beside the old text strings and upload (or email) this excel sheet. What do you think?

@Murat, is it okay for you to re-post that corrected Excel sheet?

Yes. It's Ok if you'll add new/updated translations into a new column in the Excel sheet and post it here. After that I'll publish here the most up-to-date XLS version to avoid possible xls version collisions (and risk of losing some translation strings).