Problem (still) with renaming to *.jpg._01_

SergeS

Version 7.6.0 2693 still have problem with occasional renaming jpg files to *.jpg._01_

Seems like raw files are not renaming anymore, but jpgs - still are.

Happens when keep files on the network, on NAS, if process them locally - seems like also ok.

Are there any fix / workaround?

Does anybody else have such problem?

image.png

13 hours ago, Daria Kotilainen said:

Hi Serge, can you please give me more info on this issue? Have you noticed any specific scenario when this happens, or anything that give a hint that Daminion is responsible for the creation of these files? 

Nothing special, when editing keywords Daminion renames *.jpg to *.jpg._01_
Sequence of operations, for example:
1) Add folder with few jpg files to Daminion catalog;
2) Select these jpg files in Daminilon;
3) Edit keywords;
4) Apply changes;
5) On Daminion screen seems like everything is done, there are no unsynced files, no errors, but all affected files renamed

I am sure that Daminion is responsible for such renaming because of I can observe process of renaming these files in another window.
There is a video I just make to illustrate... video

It happens only with jpg files (NEFs are OK) and only when those files located on the network (jpg files on local drive are OK).

P.S. Similar to this old problem: 

• 2 weeks later...

As topic starter, confirm this problem does not really relate to Daminion.
By Daria's suggestion I have tried to edit tags with another program (have used windows file manager) and also got error when trying to edit tags on jpg network folder.

I would wish Daminion throwed error instead of quietly renamed files, but this is already secondary thing, root of the problem is not in Daminion 🙂

Daminion team, sorry for blaming your product 🙂 

• 8 months later...

Sorry to come back to this problem, still cannot solve it, I need help of club :-), especially of people who keep Daminion catalog on Synology NAS.

I did some testing so I will describe the problem again, with more details.

I have Synology NAS, all photos, RAW and processed, are located in NAS shared folder /photo, in different subfolders. All tags are written directly into the files.
Using Daminion I can tag RAW files with no problem although tagging jpg files give me problem - Daminion hiddenly (with no errors) renames .jpg files to .jpg._01_ files.
I cannot really blame Daminion because I have similar problem without using of Daminion, trying to assign tags (for jpg only, did not try with raw files) under "naked" Windows Explorer gives error message "wrong handle". But I still would like to understand the problem and fix it.

I am working under user account, not administrator account, on NAS, but I have read and write rights for shared folder /photo and all sub-folders, I can copy, create and delete files in this folder and in all subfolders. When I give such NAS user account administrator privilege - problem is fixed, but I do not really want to work constantly under administrator account on the NAS.

Is there explanation why problem is only with jpg files?

Is there any explanation why Daminion does not give any error when failed to write tags into jpg files?

What to fix (obviously, on NAS side or Windows side) to get rid of this problem?

Hello,

I have the same system architecture: all files on the Synology NAS. Just checked 150.000 files on the NAS - found one TIF file *_00_*. Not sure if Daminion responsible for this topic or the ExifTool used by other apps.

regards, Uwe

4 hours ago, Daria Kotilainen said:

what user do you use to run Daminion? Is it the admin user with the same name and password as on NAS? 

No, for Daminion service I am using non-admin credentials, but with RW permissions. Actually, for Daminion service I am using the same user name/password as for Windows PC where Daminion is running (I am using only one Daminion client). Will try to lift up Daminion service credentials, will report here.

1 hour ago, lintujuh said:

Just a wild guess, do you have execute (x) permission in the folders? I have a NAS volume for my files, and I have the folder permissions set to drwxrwxrwx (Linux style). The x-permission allows cd to the folder.

I believe I do, but will check, thank you.

4 hours ago, Daria Kotilainen said:

I'm wondering if Serge would be ok with using the admin acc to run Daminion server, because the rename is done  by Daminion server service user so if changed to admin, it should help avoid this error

Daria, I've got your point, will try and let you know here.

On 2/13/2023 at 7:04 AM, Daria Kotilainen said:

I'm wondering if Serge would be ok with using the admin acc to run Daminion server, because the rename is done  by Daminion server service user so if changed to admin, it should help avoid this error

How to do it properly? I have stopped Daminion Server Service and, by similarity, put admin username (with ".\" on front) and password over there, but it is not accepted. Username and password are correct :-). Should I add this account somewhere to Windows? I am using Windows 11.
image.png.fb5a7fcc28cc8d8c73a0f3a7de772ba8.png

P.S. Was able to add local account to Windows 11 (it is some quest on Windows 11 🙂 ), but still have error starting Daminion server, see screenshot. Will continue to play.

image.png.94546837d694f0dd4f9fd68e118dc353.png

P.S. #2 🙂 Changing type of local account to administrator seems like fix the problem, thank you.

On 2/13/2023 at 9:20 AM, lintujuh said:

Just a wild guess, do you have execute (x) permission in the folders? I have a NAS volume for my files, and I have the folder permissions set to drwxrwxrwx (Linux style). The x-permission allows cd to the folder.

I did not go to the Linux command line level but using standard Synology management screen (DSM) - I see all rights are set.
image.png.2951f93c17a228ef68d7e62010a5a9e4.png

• 2 weeks later...