[2682] - Face Recognition

rene

Dear fellow Community member, 

I realized, that I assigned a few faces wrong, now the database is mixed up! I deleted the wrong faces but Daminion seems not to forget the face data and keeps suggestion the wrong faces! when unassigning a face, those data Daminion stored to recognize others should be removed!

Thanks

Hello Rene, 

It would be better if that would work with People tag! On the small thumbnails it's hard to see it's wrong

The People tag can be assigned manually to the file and be unrelated to face recognition (e.g assigned in previous versions). On the contrary faces assigned via the module are always related to the people tag. Therefore, it does make sense to remove the People tag from the files if it was removed via FR module (this is not X person), but not other way around

Daria

On 4/14/2022 at 9:48 PM, lintujuh said:

At least with the latest version double clicking the thumbnail opens the corresponding image full screen.

yes but still it is very hard to recognioze faces! If at least face regoc would be available folder based than one could determine easer persons! after a vacation or a party, i know who was there and could more easely assign tags

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2022 at 11:39 AM, Daria Kotilainen said:

We have registered the request to limit FR to specific folders and will be working on it. However, there are still no time frames for this  implementation

Kind regards, 

Daria

Any update on the timeframe?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2022 at 10:27 PM, rene said:

yes but still it is very hard to recognioze faces! If at least face regoc would be available folder based than one could determine easer persons! after a vacation or a party, i know who was there and could more easely assign tags

While being able to direct the Face Recognition function to a folder is useful, I suggest a broader (more general) requriement should be adopted.    Why not allow Face Recognition to be applied to any set of photo(s) that have been selected.    

• Like 1

Hello Rau, this would require lots of manual work from the end users: select the files > determine if there are faces that should be analyzed or not > apply FR. When running automatically in the background, the module analyzes all the files saving the end-users time. 

There is also no mechanism telling "unanalyzed images" and "analyzed but with no people found images" apart. Let me explain. For example, with AI labels you can manually select files and tell Daminion generate AI labels for them. This is done because of two reasons: Files are being sent to Google to be AI-tagged and some files can be content sensitive and should not be sent to third-parties, and AI quote can be limited and should be used wisely. Unanalyzed images are shown as Unassigned under AI Labels and you can easily find them. 

Now, FR mechanism is different (and not only because it is an internal mechanism and is not sending the files to third-parties). It is linked to People tag but it is not the same as People tag. You can see Unassigned in People tag as well, but it does not necessary mean that all Unassigned files have not been analyzed by FR yet. They might have been analyzed but still sitting in the FR "Detected People" waiting for the People tag to be assigned to them. Besides, among those Unassigned can be files without faces that have been analyzed by FR and tossed aside. 

Therefore, to allow FR to be applied to a selected set of files, the end user would have to go manually through Unassigned in People visually searching for the files to be sent to FR queue. I don't think many end-users would be happy with this approach as a result. 

Kind regards, 

Daria

Daria - it seemed to me that if a particular folder could be targetted for FR to be applied, then why not any (other) selection of images?    A folder is just a selection of images after all?

Of course, I don't have a full understanding of the implementation approach.   

I am using Daminion/Face Recognition in a context of:

• Several thousand pre-existing images (mostly including people)
  • I guess there must be many, many hundreds of people.
  • I previously used Face Recognition from the old Windows Photos Gallery

I am much more interested in getting certain faces tagged than others, but currently there is no way to 'guide' Daminion FR to those images where I'm most keen to 'tag the faces'.   It throws up faces from the entire database in what seems to be no particular order.   It is actually VERY frustrating to be unable to focus in on a relevant subset of images.

I appreciate your plan for the FR feature is probably not fully implemented yet.   Here are my thoughts on what I think is necessary to round out the capability:

1. Enable a means to 'direct' FR's focus to subsets of images;
  2. Enable the people in an image located in Daminion (& previously processed by FR of course) to be named (ie. telling the viewer which face is which person)
  3. Organise the "Persons" tab in FR in some useful way.   Enable a particular person to be quickly located rather than having to go on clicking "Load More" hoping to come across them.    Resolve why the same person appears more than once in this tab.   Provide a means to correct an assigned name (not just select "This is not xxxxxxxxxxxx".)
  4. Have person tags assigned by FR automatically included in the auto-syncrohisation queue so they get placed into images without the need to explicitly "write tags to file".
  5. Include the coordinates of the face rectangles in image metadata.  Hopefully there are standards that mean once this is done, other viewing applications can in principle show which face is which person.

Many thanks for your support and assistance Daria.

11 hours ago, rau said:

Have person tags assigned by FR automatically included in the auto-syncrohisation queue so they get placed into images without the need to explicitly "write tags to file".

Regarding the above point in prior post - using "write tags to file" is actually quite impractical.   After spending some time tagging faces in images, how is the user to select those images to have the tags written?  The images may be scattered throughout the entire image collection.....    So, if having the metadata in the image is important (& I think it is....), then fixing this gap is important.

9 minutes ago, rau said:

Regarding the above point in prior post - using "write tags to file" is actually quite impractical.   After spending some time tagging faces in images, how is the user to select those images to have the tags written?  The images may be scattered throughout the entire image collection.....    So, if having the metadata in the image is important (& I think it is....), then fixing this gap is important.

Hello Rau, 

I thought I replied in a different thread here, but after digging around I found out it was a personal email to another client. This behavior has already registered to be fixed. People tags assigned via FR will be added to the auto-sync queue

Daria

Hello Rau, 

11 hours ago, rau said:

Daria - it seemed to me that if a particular folder could be targetted for FR to be applied, then why not any (other) selection of images?    A folder is just a selection of images after all?

The only reasons to target FR to separate folders is to decrease the resource consumption and make sure the users won't have to enable/disable FR module to decrease the load when other tasks should be done on this specific PC. Selecting images and activating FR on them may be convenient for a few end users  but for the majority it won't be the case. Thus being said, we are currently not considering targeting FR to specific files. 

11 hours ago, rau said:

Of course, I don't have a full understanding of the implementation approach.   

I am using Daminion/Face Recognition in a context of:

• Several thousand pre-existing images (mostly including people)
  • I guess there must be many, many hundreds of people.
  • I previously used Face Recognition from the old Windows Photos Gallery

I am much more interested in getting certain faces tagged than others, but currently there is no way to 'guide' Daminion FR to those images where I'm most keen to 'tag the faces'.   It throws up faces from the entire database in what seems to be no particular order.   It is actually VERY frustrating to be unable to focus in on a relevant subset of images.

FR is analyzing folder by folder. Mid-size previews are being analyzed and if not generated beforehand by using the web access, mid-size previews are generated once FR is activated. 

11 hours ago, rau said:

I appreciate your plan for the FR feature is probably not fully implemented yet.   Here are my thoughts on what I think is necessary to round out the capability:

1. Enable a means to 'direct' FR's focus to subsets of images;
  2. Enable the people in an image located in Daminion (& previously processed by FR of course) to be named (ie. telling the viewer which face is which person)

#2 is being discussed how to implement it better. Many FR systems do have this feature and it is certainly beneficial for the end-users. 

11 hours ago, rau said:
  1. Organise the "Persons" tab in FR in some useful way.   Enable a particular person to be quickly located rather than having to go on clicking "Load More" hoping to come across them.    Resolve why the same person appears more than once in this tab.   Provide a means to correct an assigned name (not just select "This is not xxxxxxxxxxxx".)

FR 2.0 will have a search bar in the Persons tab.

11 hours ago, rau said:
  1. Have person tags assigned by FR automatically included in the auto-syncrohisation queue so they get placed into images without the need to explicitly "write tags to file".

Will be added and hopefully very soon (I just realized the personal email I was talking about earlier was sent to you 😅 Thank you for raising this matter here - people will now it is being worked on)

Kind regards, 

Daria