Tags not written into DNG/JPG files (2555)

lintujuh

I noticed that after I upgraded to 7.0 (2555) from 6.8 (2358) the tags are not written into DNG files. I'm running Daminion Server, and I have the default setting Write tags into .xmp files (except for DNG). Exiftool/Show all metadata shows the tags in DNG files, that have been tagged with 6.8, but for the new ones, there are only the standard tags. My DNG files are RAW files from a mobile phone, not converted RAW files.

It looks something is wrong with my environment. I checked the log, and there is

2021-11-02 09:09:59,640 [21] ERROR PicaJet.Daminion.Service.Utils.SynchronizeMediaItemCommand [(null)] - mediaItemId: 62726 filePath: '\\192.168.3.1\Multimedia\Pictures\2021\10\2021_10_24\IMG_20211024_132542.dng' exception: PicaJet.Daminion.Common.PicaJetException: Message: File didn't updated

• 3 weeks later...

I have managed to debug this one step further, thanks to Oleg and the team who debugged my image and found that the XMP block is corrupted. What I have been able to conclude so far is that GeoSetter's (exiftool) updates are not compatible with Adobe's XMP Toolkit used by Daminion. It looks that if you have your DNG straight out of the camera and you update it first in GeoSetter, then it will be incompatible with XMP Toolkit. If there are some XMP Tags written in the file first then there are no problems.

I will investigate more and also write a bug report into exiftool's forum.

@Uweand @WilfriedB I know you are using GeoSetter, so check your DNGs.

Try using the following application to fix the XMP section:

https://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/#downloads

It is a freeware application. I typically use the version found on:

https://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/xnview_portable

I have noticed the same thing with Geosetter in the past. It looks like the data gets written to the photo but when you try and read the data from the photo, it is no longer there.

Frank Hahn

@Juha thanks for the information and please send the link to the post in the ExifTool forum here in this post. I used the DNG format in the past (until 5 years ago) and went back to/keep the original RAW formats (e.g. CR2, ARW)

Regards, Uwe

19 hours ago, lintujuh said:

I know you are using GeoSetter, so check your DNGs

Thanks for notification, Juha! I don't use PhotoShop and therefore don't have DNGs, but I found other cases where GeoSetter corrupts some tags with German umlauts. Meanwhile I use GeoSetter only once to set the location before importing to Daminion and avoid using it for later updates.

According to Phil's investigations my file has valid XMP block. He checked the file himself and also used two different verification software to validate the contents. I have pointed the thread to Daminion support, as it looks that the issue is in Daminion, not in GeoSetter/exiftool.

I have debugged this issue and the outcome is that an emtpy tag XMP-tiff:ImageDescription creates the problem. When that tag is deleted, Daminion doesn't have problems to update the file. Looking at the commands GeoSetter generates for exiftool, the issue exists only, when the image is "straight our of camera", i.e. only standard EXIF tags defined. You can see the full story in https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=13056.0.

When I analyzed my DNGs, I can see that this problem has been there already for some time. I found images that I have tagged in 2019 where this problem exists.

It looks like the same problem can exists also in JPGs (https://geosetter.de/mantis/view.php?id=2122). I haven't experienced it as I shoot RAW, and geotag my images before developing them. (I also updated the title of this thread to highlight this possibility.)

• lintujuh changed the title to Tags not written into DNG/JPG files (2555)