Do you need an ability to import faces from Google Picasa?

Murat

Picasa is very good to quickly recognize people faces on images.

Do you need an option in Daminion to import faces from Picasa to Daminion?

Does anybody use Picasa to manage your photos?

Peoples could be imported into Daminion automatically during the import or via "Read Metadata from Files" option (need to turn on an appropriate option in the program Preferences).

I am trying to estimate the demand for this feature.

Picasa is very good to quickly recognize people faces on images.

I used it for a short time, after this I prefer the hierarchical structure of tagging.

But I just a private user. Maybe a nice to have?

No. Every piece of photo management software with face recognition feature I've used so far (including Picasa) can associate rather random pixel sets to a face (e.g. a table's leg or stones in mud) therefore importing such unpredictible data is not necessay IMO. This is my private opinion based on my unlucky experience.

HTH

-- M.

Mariusz

I've tested the latest Picasa version on my private photo gallery (~16k photos) and I get an outstanding result. It required about 3 hours to recognize and describe all the peoples. And you can quickly fix the wrong results manually.

Picasa does do a really good job at face recognition, better than the other attempts in image software I have seen.

But, personally, I don't think it should be a priority to add support for it, I would prefer making tagging in Daminion really effective first.

I don't need the face position data for anything, so adding the tags for people while I am adding the other tags anyway is not that much of a problem, as long as adding tags is really streamlined.

Personally, I would love to be able to use Picasa to quickly recognize & tag people in my images. I take a lot of group activity pictures (like kid's birthday parties), and tagging each picture individually as I sort them is a hassle -- to the point that I don't do it :P I know my mum would be thrilled too; she has even more pictures than I do, with no people tagging whatsoever yet.

This is the perspective of an avid amateur, not a professional. I guess it depends on which audience Daminion geared towards...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Murat,

Put me down in the "Yes" area for this feature. I haven't used Picasa in many years, but was planning to fire it up.

What I've recognized is that, in general, I want to tag a few things on EVERY photo in my collection:

* - Where it was taken (nicely, GeoSetter is helping me tag my files)

* - When it was taken (nicely, my digital originals have this data already and Daminion lets me re-date my "now digital" files - scans of old family photos and similar momentos that started their life in non-digital form)

* - Who is in the image

If you can provide a quick tutorial on how to take my images, have them scanned by Picasa for face recognition and drop that data into Daminion, that'd be incredible... I'd then have "reasonably time efficient" solutions for all three key categories above. That'd allow me to spend more time on the "extra fields" which is where things get fun - adding tags like "wagon", "Legos", "teddy bear", "Birthday", etc. :-)

Thanks for always taking user feedback!,

Russell

P.S. You might research how Picasa handles EXIF data - there was a rumor a little while back that it pretty much destroyed camera EXIF data. I'd hate to have you help users lose information in their images!

P.S. You might research how Picasa handles EXIF data - there was a rumor a little while back that it pretty much destroyed camera EXIF data. I'd hate to have you help users lose information in their images!

Thanks for the info. As I know Picasa stores information about Faces (Peoples) inside the external settings file.

• 6 months later...

As an avid amateur who does lots of people and groups photography and is implementing a DAM with a somewhat unorganized media database of 40K images, please implement! Thanks. It's been a while since the last post in this thread. Any update on this feature or like features?

Clay Johnson

Hi Clay, it's possible to import Picasa faces now. But only for Picasa 3.8 version. In Picasa 3.9 version the way of storage information about peoples and faces were significantly changed.

We didn't implement our own Face Recogntion feature yet...

When you say "import faces" are you importing the names for each photo only, or also the information that ties each name to a particular face?

I have tried many times in the past to use Picasa to tag faces in archival photos for historical purposes. For example "the person at coordinates 100, 150 is Joe Shmoe". Each time I have lost all the tagging when the computer configuration changed, or the data had to be moved between computers because of the absurd data storage model Picasa used. If you were to add a stable face tagging module to your software I would find it a great addition.

Maybe the new data model for Picasa version 3.9 will fix the old problems, though I am unlikely to risk losing my tagging data once again.

• 1 year later...