Do you need an ability to import faces from Google Picasa?

Murat

To import your faces/people with Picasa 3.9 you need to turn On an option in the Picasa that will write faces into the XMP metadata of images. And then rescan the folder in the Daminion or invoke Item > Read Tags from File.

Rene has more experience in this question - I hope he could provide more info here ;)

To import your faces/people with Picasa 3.9 you need to turn off an options in the Picasa that will write faces into the XMP metadata of images.

I am using Picasa 3.9.138 (Build 151) and Daminion 3.3.0 (Build 1069) and importing detected by Picasa people into Daminion works just fine.

However, Murat's suggestion "turn off an options in the Picasa that will write faces into the XMP metadata" seems a bit misleading. In Picasa 3.9 under Tools -> Options -> Name Tags, I checked the option "Store name tags in photo". If you don't select that option, the people names are stored in the picasa.ini file. If I remember correctly, this was the change they introduced with Picasa 3.9.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Importing the Picasa people names to Daminion "People" from JPEG files is working perfectly for me.

If Daminion were ever to implement a full face recognition feature, please set it up as a feature which can be applied to selected photos only, and On-Demand. Dealing the the constant stream on unrecognised faces, that I am not interested in, is a huge reason not to use Picasa for anything other than archival family ancestry photos that have to be tagged before no one still recognises them. Otherwise, it is the greatest time waster ever invented.

On the other hand, since Picasa is now essentially an orphan product, having an alternative would be nice, but not at the top of my list.

Importing the Picasa people names to Daminion "People" from JPEG files is working perfectly for me.

If Daminion were ever to implement a full face recognition feature, please set it up as a feature which can be applied to selected photos only, and On-Demand. Dealing the the constant stream on unrecognised faces, that I am not interested in, is a huge reason not to use Picasa for anything other than archival family ancestry photos that have to be tagged before no one still recognises them. Otherwise, it is the greatest time waster ever invented.

On the other hand, since Picasa is now essentially an orphan product, having an alternative would be nice, but not at the top of my list.

I agree, Daminion shouldn't write images with no facetag as "non tagged" until Daminion found a face on there, like Picasa is doing that! Picasa onlyy shows images with faces on it. I would love that feature in Daminion.