Face Tagging Questions

rau

When faces are tagged in certain other photo management programs, the process is to mark a rectangular area around the face of a person and associate a name with the face. The image metadata includes both the name [Person tag] and the position of the rectangle. This enables the face and the name to be displayed together. So my questions are:

1) It seems Daminion takes no notice of the rectangle information at the present time, though it certainly does accept People tags written by other programs (such as Windows Photo Gallery). Will Daminion ever take notice of this rectangle data? It would be really, really, useful to do so because when looking at a Photo with many faces, and many people tags, Daminion could identify which face is which Person (eg. the implementation might be that as the mouse moves over the face, the corresponding People tag appears).

2) I imagine that Daminion's forthcoming face recognition implementation might involve recording the presence of a face within rectangular coordinates. What if an image already includes such rectangular coordinates because the image was previously processed by a program (such as Windows Photo Gallery) that allowed the position of faces to be marked (or did that automatically in the course of face recognition)? Will there be any conflict?

Thanks

So if I do Face Recognition in Windows Photo Gallery now it will be imported into Daminions Current Version including the rectangular position or only in future versions?

Which other Software can I use to do that?

Hi Rene,

Your files metadata will be containing rectangular coordinates, but the rectangular area will not be displayed in the current versions because there is no face recognition and threfore such functionality as highlighting faces. In the version with facial recognition, the faces will be highlighted.

Kind regards,

Daria

Hi Rene,

Your files metadata will be containing rectangular coordinates, but the rectangular area will not be displayed in the current versions because there is no face recognition and threfore such functionality as highlighting faces. In the version with facial recognition, the faces will be highlighted.

Kind regards,

Daria

Thanks Daria,

Since I have Windows Home Server 2011 running, which Software can you recommend to get the faces tagged?

thanks!

Since I have Windows Home Server 2011 running, which Software can you recommend to get the faces tagged?

I don't know, what Daminion recommends, but I am still using Picasa 3.9.141 for that purpose. Even though it is no longer supported by Google, it does work fine for tagging people under Windows 10 1803.

I don't know, what Daminion recommends, but I am still using Picasa 3.9.141 for that purpose. Even though it is no longer supported by Google, it does work fine for tagging people under Windows 10 1803.

Thanks Wilfried.

Can i afterwards stil limport the Faces into Daminion?

Can i afterwards stil limport the Faces into Daminion?
Yes, I always do it that way:

Either you run Picasa and tag the people before importing new images into Daminion (this is what I do most of the times) or - if they are already are in Daminion just perform an Actions -> Read Tags from File and you will see the peoples' names in Daminion. Within Picasa, you see the rectangles around each face (and so does GeoSetter). I don't know, if these coordinates will be maintained by Daminion for future use as Daria explained, but I hope so.

Yes, I always do it that way:

Either you run Picasa and tag the people before importing new images into Daminion (this is what I do most of the times) or - if they are already are in Daminion just perform an Actions -> Read Tags from File and you will see the peoples' names in Daminion. Within Picasa, you see the rectangles around each face (and so does GeoSetter). I don't know, if these coordinates will be maintained by Daminion for future use as Daria explained, but I hope so.

Thanks Wilfried.

If you use Sync, it should not. Otherwise it is more safe to do Actions->Write Tags to file before adding the face tags in Picasa.

Thanks Wilfried, i have daminion write all tags t files and since I let Picasa add tags to the whole database (whole files) I guess i have to live with it

Thanks Wilfried, i have daminion write all tags t files and since I let Picasa add tags to the whole database (whole files) I guess i have to live with it

When making many changes, it is certainly a good idea to create a backup first and also try with a small number of images first, instead of handling all at once.

The latest generations of FR don't use any user entered rectangles at all.

Synology Moments just offers auto recognition. You have no opportunity to define them yourself. I'm not saying that's a good approach, just that is seems to be the way things are going. They must be storing the coordinates though.