Issues writing Metadata

fhahn

Hello:

I have purchased a two-seat Home server version of the software. I have not had issues in the past with the software and I thought things were going really smooth.

From time to time, I try other software and one that I am looking at is called Resourcespace. It is a web-based DAM program.

I noticed that after importing several thousand pictures into Resourcespace, mainly JPG, that some of the pictures did not have Captions or Image Descriptions, City, State, Country, etc.

I then went back in to Daminion and looked at the Properties, all of my pictures are tagged like I thought. When I open the pictures in Irfanview or ExifToolGUI though, I do not see the data. So I think the data is in the PostgreSQL database, it just is not making it into the pictures.

If I do see some data, it might be one or two items, like Country or City. None of the data seems to be making it to the Exif area in the photo. Some will make it to the Xmp area.

Here is a partial screen shot of ExifToolGUI from a web site. I do not have the software installed on the computer that I am sitting at now.

post-1845-0-43679900-1505922594_thumb.png

I was using Daminion 5.0.1682 but tried going back to the only other version that I had at home which I don't remember what that version number is because none of the download links in the Announcement section of the forum seem to be working. The server kept dropping the connection whenever I tried to make a change. I finally gave up.

I'll try the just released version tonight to see if that makes a difference.

Does anyone know how hard it would be to go back to Version 4 after being on Version 5 for some time?

Any thoughts on what I ma be doing wrong?

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

Hello Frank,

there was a bug in a previous build of Daminion: the Place matadata were not written into the files. One has to use the option "write tags into file" to get the metadata there.

I can highly recommend the tools written by Juha to find such inconsistencies between database and file.

Regards, Uwe

Hello Frank,

there was a bug in a previous build of Daminion: the Place matadata were not written into the files. One has to use the option "write tags into file" to get the metadata there.

I can highly recommend the tools written by Juha to find such inconsistencies between database and file.

Regards, Uwe

I tried the Write tags into files and I was still not having any luck. I need to pull off the version I installed last night and go with the 5.5 version released earlier today and see what happens.

I will be able to take screen shots of the results.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

I tried the Write tags into files and I was still not having any luck. I need to pull off the version I installed last night and go with the 5.5 version released earlier today and see what happens.

I will be able to take screen shots of the results.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

I got home last night and removed the installed versions of Daminion and then installed the latest version.

I still was not able to get changes made in Daminion to save to my JPG files. This was for my main Sony camera.

I then went back to some previous photos and the data was being saved. I then started going through my latest photos and found about 50 pictures that would not accept any changes even thought I was not seeing any errors.

I went back and copied the original photos from the memory card to the drive where my files are stored, imported them back into Daminion, and I was then able to save the data to them.

There must be something incorrect in these files even though they display properly.

So things now seem back to normal.

Frank Hahn

Hi Frank,

If you are in doubt, that all the metadata is in your files, use my program as Uwe mentioned.

Daminion writes all tags (with few exceptions) into the media files, so that the metadata is also available outside Daminion. In Daminion there is no facility to verify if the metadata in the media items is the same as is in the Daminion database. DamCompare.py solves this problem by reporting inconsistencies in metadata for Daminion server and standalone catalogs.

-Juha

• Upvote 1

Hi Frank,

If you are in doubt, that all the metadata is in your files, use my program as Uwe mentioned.

Daminion writes all tags (with few exceptions) into the media files, so that the metadata is also available outside Daminion. In Daminion there is no facility to verify if the metadata in the media items is the same as is in the Daminion database. DamCompare.py solves this problem by reporting inconsistencies in metadata for Daminion server and standalone catalogs.

-Juha

I hope to take a look at it this weekend.

Frank Hahn

• 1 month later...

I am again having issues saving metadata to jpg files. According to Daminion, the metadata is saved but when I use other software, there is nothing there.

When I Read Tags from File, the fields are again empty.

post-1845-0-46737000-1508974247_thumb.png

post-1845-0-04114300-1508974265_thumb.png

I can use GeoSetter and ExifToolGUI to write the data and then read the data back in with Daminion. Even after this, I am still not able to write new metadata with Daminion.

Would someone at Daminion please take a look at one or more of these files to see what may be happening?

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

So I think the data is in the PostgreSQL database, it just is not making it into the pictures.

Did you use the Sync function or Actions -> Write Tags to File? Otherwise, no changed tags will be written in the files' meta data.

If switched on, the Sync runs in the background and writes changed or added tags into the file shortly after they were saved into the database. "Shortly" can mean some seconds, but depending on how many items you changed, it can take longer. After changing some items, watch the check mark on the lower left of the display, when it changes to rotating circle, you now some update function (either writing or reading meta data) is running in the background.

When you use Actions -> Write Tags to File instead, the meta data should be written immediately. According to my experience, this always works fine, but I use a standalone client and only JPG images.

However, using Juha's program DamCompare, I was able to discover that the Sync function "generally" works, but a small number of tags (I guess less than 10%) or not written to meta data. Until now, I was not able to reproduce it or find out when or why this happens. When I say "tags" this not limited to place, but includes also keywords, categories and probably others too.

I'm pretty sure Daminion is just not writing the data to the files. I have at least 400-500 files (jpgs) that do not have any metadata. By metadata, I mean:

Description

Country

State

City

The matching raw files, in my case, *.ARW do have the *.XMP files written with data. I can load the *.jpg files into other utility programs and can tell that no metadata is being written.

The only thing that is different about these files from my typical work flow is that I was on vacation at the time. I would load the jpeg and raw files daily from the cameras memory card onto my laptop. I would then rename the files and then use GeoSetter to match daily *.gpx (GPS data) data to the pictures. After this was done, I would import/add the pictures using the locally installed copy of Daminion that I also use to connect to the server version while at home.

Sometimes I added the above additional metadata, sometimes, I did not. I just assumed the metadata was being written to the files.

When I got home, I transferred the *.jpg, *.arw, and *.xmp files to my main photo hard drive. I then connected using the shared catalog and imported the files in the shared Daminion catalog. Since I had so many pictures without metadata, I didn't really notice that I was having to add the data several times to the same photos.

It finally dawned on me that none of the jpeg data was really being added. It was in the database but not the photos. No matter what I try, the data is just not being written to these files.

Last night, I copied the files from the cameras memory directly to my photo storage drive and basically repeated the same process as above. This time, I just bypassed using the local copy of Daminion, now the metadata is being stored.

I'd really like to get an idea on what is happening. I have multiple copies of both bad and good jpeg files if someone knows what to look for. I'm guessing there is an issue with the file that Daminion can't overcome to write the file but it would be nice to at least get a notice. The part that also others me is how other applications cn write the data, Daminion can recognize it when adding the file, but still can't write the data itself to the same file.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

Sometimes I added the above additional metadata, sometimes, I did not. I just assumed the metadata was being written to the files.

Are you sure, you did switch on Sync?

On the upper right corner of the Thumbnail window, you the word Sync on the right of a circular button. If that button shows a red diagonal line, the sync function is not activated and changes or additional tags will never be written to the files.

Are you sure, you did switch on Sync?

On the upper right corner of the Thumbnail window, you the word Sync on the right of a circular button. If that button shows a red diagonal line, the sync function is not activated and changes or additional tags will never be written to the files.

Yes, I'm sure that Sync is on. I always have it on unless I have issues and then I will disable it and then enable it again. With this group of files, I have just moved the bad ones out and copied them from the cameras memory card and they work like expected.

I am going to forward a file to Daminion support to see if they can tell what is happening. I would attach one here but the files are larger than the file limit.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Has there been any further testing on this?

If I add GPS data (presently using Geosetter) to jpg files before I import the files into Daminion and add some metedata, Daminion is not able to add any metadata after this. By metedata, I mean:

Description

Country

State

City

and possibly other data.

If I add metedata first, and then add GPS information, then Daminion seems to be able to then add further metadata.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

If I add GPS data (presently using Geosetter) to jpg files before I import the files into Daminion and add some metedata, Daminion is not able to add any metadata after this.
Works fine for me in Daminion 6.0 Build 1863 and before on the server, as well as on standalone catalogs. Daminion updates the metadata either automatically when sync is switched on or whenever I select Item->Actions->Write Tags to file manually.

If I add metedata first, and then add GPS information, then Daminion seems to be able to then add further metadata.

This makes me curious. As I said before, all combinations work fine for me.

What version of GeoSetter are you using and which version of ExifTool does GeoSetter use? I use GeoSetter 3.5.0 (Build 2188) and it uses ExifTool 11.18. Possibly there are multiple versions of ExifTool on your PC, including a very old/faulty one ...? In GeoSetter you can open Help->ExifTool and dialog shows you the version and the install folder of ExifTool:

post-1805-0-41781400-1542043132_thumb.png

This makes me curious. As I said before, all combinations work fine for me.

What version of GeoSetter are you using and which version of ExifTool does GeoSetter use? I use GeoSetter 3.5.0 (Build 2188) and it uses ExifTool 11.18. Possibly there are multiple versions of ExifTool on your PC, including a very old/faulty one ...? In GeoSetter you can open Help->ExifTool and dialog shows you the version and the install folder of ExifTool:

post-1805-0-41781400-1542043132_thumb.png

I am using the most recent version of GeoSetter, Update 3.5 dated 2018/05/10. Not sure that I can tell you the version of ExifTool that is installed. I believe it is 11.18. I typically have GeoSetter install the current version of ExifTool when it starts.

I have had this issue going back some time.

If I have GeoSetter add the GPS data to the jpg files first, then Daminion is no longer able to create and add the metadata fields.

I am currently using the server version of Daminion with a two-seat license. The version of Daminion that is installed is 5.8.1765. I'll check and see if I can find an extra version ExifTool installation.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

Hello Frank,

the ExifTool Daminion is using is not the newest one. You can overwrite it by a new exiftool.exe file in the folder:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Daminion Software\Daminion Server\MediaProcessors\ImageProcessor\

Geosetter has it's own update procedure and uses the most recent version of the ExifTool. I never had problems with combination of Geosetter/ExifTool and Daminion except the problem with the "ä, ö, ü".

Do you have the problem with all media types (JPG, TIF, RAW...)?

Regards, Uwe

Not sure that I can tell you the version of ExifTool that is installed.

Frank, as I said above: In the GeoSetter menu select Help->ExifTool and dialog shows you the version and the install folder of ExifTool:post-1805-0-00747000-1542095371_thumb.png

Geosetter has it's own update procedure and uses the most recent version of the ExifTool.

Correct Uwe, IF GeoSetter is configured correctly and allowed to regularly download and install the latest version of ExifTool (independent of the version of GeoSetter). My suspicion is, it still uses a very old one, which sits somewhere on the disk. However, same as you, I never experienced such a problem in the past. After all, it is ExifTool which writes the metadata into the files. The format could be corrupted by GeoSetter/ExifTool which then prevents Daminion to write/update the metadata.

Frank, as I said above: In the GeoSetter menu select Help->ExifTool and dialog shows you the version and the install folder of ExifTool:post-1805-0-00747000-1542095371_thumb.png

I was at work and not using my home system so that is why I could not be definite in the version of Exiftool that was installed by Geosetter. When I checked, Geosetter is using version 11.18 of Exiftool.

Correct Uwe, IF GeoSetter is configured correctly and allowed to regularly download and install the latest version of ExifTool (independent of the version of GeoSetter). My suspicion is, it still uses a very old one, which sits somewhere on the disk. However, same as you, I never experienced such a problem in the past. After all, it is ExifTool which writes the metadata into the files. The format could be corrupted by GeoSetter/ExifTool which then prevents Daminion to write/update the metadata.

I searched my hard drive and did find an older version of Exiftool in my path that was being used by ExifToolGUI. I removed this version of ExifTool but still no luck. I then installed Daminion 6.0.1836 and still have the same problem. I am going to try and install Daminion on another system and only use the standalone version and see what the results are.

Frank Hahn

I removed this version of ExifTool but still no luck.

What path and version for ExifTool do you see in the panel, when you select select Help->ExifTool in the GeoSetter menu?

You said "no luck", what exactly did you test? I suggest to test with a new file, which doesn't have any metadata yet, add some with GeoSettter, import to Daminion, add or change some tags there and perform a an Item->Actions->write Tags to File. If you use images which had been modified in the past, you might get wrong results.

I don't believe the version of Daminion plays any role, since it worked fine for me in the past with many versions - server and standalone.

What path and version for ExifTool do you see in the panel, when you select select Help->ExifTool in the GeoSetter menu?

You said "no luck", what exactly did you test? I suggest to test with a new file, which doesn't have any metadata yet, add some with GeoSettter, import to Daminion, add or change some tags there and perform a an Item->Actions->write Tags to File. If you use images which had been modified in the past, you might get wrong results.

I don't believe the version of Daminion plays any role, since it worked fine for me in the past with many versions - server and standalone.

Last night, I have at least found a solution so that I can now get Daminion to start writing metadata back to the jpg files that have been affected. I just need to find the files that have data in the Daminion database but has not been written to the files. I think the program that Juha has written may be able to do that for me.

I have a program called XnView installed. This program like others shows what metadata is written to the files. It verified like other programs have that the metadata was not in the files after telling Daminion to write the data. Anyway, I stumbled across an option called "Rebuild XMP". After rebuilding that data, Daminion could now write my metadata directly to the files.

The option within XnView is found at Edit | Metadata | Rebuild XMP.

post-1845-0-88097100-1542204358_thumb.jpg

What is strange is that other programs could write the metadata to the jpg files that Daminion is not able to. Daminion could also read the data after these programs wrote the missing data. It could not write the data.

Thanks for the help.

Frank Hahn

Hi!

You can try to see if exiftool reports any errors (or warnings) in your images. According to Phil Harvey, the author, it does more thorough checks when writing, so you could try the following command first, this doesn't write anything (disclaimer: I haven't tried it myself).

exiftool -error -warning -a -m -r [Dir] > nul 2> error.txt

The command scans your image folder and all subfolders (-r), lists all errors and non-minor warnings (-error -warning -a -m) and redirects the error/warning messages to error.txt.

If you want more thorough check you can modify the command to:

exiftool -artist=me -o scratch/ -r [Dir] 2> error.txt

and then delete the folder scratch.

More in exiftool's forum http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php?topic=5345.0

There is an exiftool command to fix all metadata, if the image is corrupted (see more in exiftool documentation).

exiftool -exif:all= -tagsfromfile @ -all:all -unsafe bad.jpg

When the image file is no longer corrupted, then you can use my program to verify is the image metadata and Daminion in sync.

-Juha

• Upvote 1