Published versus Non-Published

Paul Barrett

I am thinking of ways of tagging published versus non-published images with a view to segregating them in Synology Photo Station.

I can't be the first person to want to tag for this property?

Any recommendations on suitable tags. It really needs to be a binary value,

Regards

- Paul

Hi Paul,

For this purpose we use a catalog. Almost the same: we are scanning old paper photos and when the keywords/title/description etc. are entered for an image, we set a catalog too, named "Catalogued".

Miklos

Hi Paul,

For this purpose we use a catalog. Almost the same: we are scanning old paper photos and when the keywords/title/description etc. are entered for an image, we set a catalog too, named "Catalogued".

Miklos

That's a cool bit of thinking outside the box. :)

But unfortunately I need something in the metadata to which Synology Photo Station could respond, because it's Photo Station that is the publishing interface.

- Paul

I wonder if i am being too ambitious?

I had this idea that by setting a value in the metadata, Photo Station could read that value and include or exclude the image from view based on a set of rules.

Realistically it would probably be better to limit the scope and ask Synology to provide the functionality entirely in their app.

- Paul

Hi Paul,

I don't have Photo Station so I don't know which of these would work.

2. use color tags (NB numerical value – colour mapping is not standardised)
  3. create a custom tag (Catalog > Custom tags ... and select Tag has limited number ..., so it will be visible in the tag tree. Use Text or Integer. Check also Uwe's post how to update those tags through ExifTool.)

-Juha

Hi Juha

I thought about ratings but not colour tags. Now there's an idea for me to explore tomorrow. Thanks

I looked at a custom tag. My issue would be getting Synology to agree to use it.

So I put it to them that they should allow us to manage Visibility Status in their app but they should write to a metadata field that they define but allow us to change with other tools and have Photo Station react to. I may be whistling in the wind though.

Paul

1. use color tags (NB numerical value – colour mapping is not standardised)

-Juha

I can't see a color tag. Did you mean Color Label?

Color Label writes a text string e.g. 'Red'. What happens if you use a localisation other than English? Does a Frenchman get 'Rouge.' Anyone?

If the tag is always written in English then this field could be the answer because I could use a red tag for items not to be published / visible. In Daminion, it's also highly visible in thumbnail view which is very helpful.

- Paul

Hello Paul,

the color labels are not translated because they are like "system preferences".

That's good. Thanks

I'm not sure but maybe you can also try it to use the "Flag".

Regards, Uwe

Yeah, I looked at Flag but it doesn't appear to get written to the metadata.

Another reason why Color Label looks like a good candidate is that it is not an editable field in Photo Station, so a user cannot 'unpublish' an image by changing the value.

Thanks

- Paul

Hi!

Yes, I mean Color Label, I didn't check the exact name. :blush:

And you are correct, Flag exists only in the database. See Murat's answer.

-Juha

Actually Juha, after some more investigation, it turns out that the tag name Color Label is a bit of a misnomer. There is no standard that it is a colour label at all. The XMP tag name is XMP:Label and it is intended for free text use. Some DAMs actually allow you to rename the colour tags to whatever you want, and to associate a colour with them. Daminion has gone for a colour system

So, it would be possible to edit the values to...

• Unpublished and associate RED to that label
  • Restricted Access / orange
  • Published / Green

... and one half of my problem would be solved. Except that Daminion doesn't do it that way.

But now I have identified a tag that is fit for purpose I think I can go and nag at Synology to develop the feature in Photo Station.

An integrated approach that allowed me to manages the label in either app would be the ideal but is an unrealistic expectation.

- Paul

Actually Juha, after some more investigation, it turns out that the tag name Color Label is a bit of a misnomer. There is no standard that it is a colour label at all. The XMP tag name is XMP:Label and it is intended for free text use. Some DAMs actually allow you to rename the colour tags to whatever you want, and to associate a colour with them. Daminion has gone for a colour system

So, it would be possible to edit the values to...

• Unpublished and associate RED to that label
  • Restricted Access / orange
  • Published / Green

... and one half of my problem would be solved. Except that Daminion doesn't do it that way.

But now I have identified a tag that is fit for purpose I think I can go and nag at Synology to develop the feature in Photo Station.

An integrated approach that allowed me to manages the label in either app would be the ideal but is an unrealistic expectation.

- Paul

Unfortunately, Synology Photo Station is not really supporting Color Label tag, as far as some other convenient tags became standard, like rating, on the way it could be easily used to filter out images with or without these tags. I have contacted with them about it around month ago, lets see what is going to happen.

I believe you can use keyword-tag for this purpose, like "Published" or "Unpublished".

Unfortunately, Synology Photo Station is not really supporting Color Label tag, as far as some other convenient tags became standard, like rating, on the way it could be easily used to filter out images with or without these tags. I have contacted with them about it around month ago, lets see what is going to happen.

I believe you can use keyword-tag for this purpose, like "Published" or "Unpublished".

Hi Serge

Thanks for your input.

You're right. Synology don't support XMP:Label at all. They don't even present the tag as a display only option in the extended data set they make available on the individual image screen.

But in a way that makes it easier, because they cannot use the excuse that their photo station users are using it for something else.

I have raised a Synology feature request for the published / non published idea. Let's see how that progresses. If I hear anything I will post about it here. Let us know what response you get to you request.

Regarding the use of a keyword tag, I did think about that but there were two issues:

1. Any Daminion Keyword Tag is converted into a Photo Station General Tag and is visible in the General Tags display screen, which is not ideal.
  2. I need a value that will default to something and, when a value IS selected, will only allow ONE value to be selected, to prevent the possibility of an item being accidentally tagged as both published and unpublished.

Regards

Paul

Regarding the use of a keyword tag, I did think about that but there were two issues:

1. Any Daminion Keyword Tag is converted into a Photo Station General Tag and is visible in the General Tags display screen, which is not ideal.
  2. I need a value that will default to something and, when a value IS selected, will only allow ONE value to be selected, to prevent the possibility of an item being accidentally tagged as both published and unpublished.

Regards

Paul

Agree with first, but second could be solved by using one only keyword-tag, when it is present - property is set, when it is not there (by default) - property is not set. It is just a question how you will interpret that keyword. It is not perfect solytion, agree, but, cannot offer better, sorry :-)

Agree with first, but second could be solved by using one only keyword-tag, when it is present - property is set, when it is not there (by default) - property is not set. It is just a question how you will interpret that keyword. It is not perfect solytion, agree, but, cannot offer better, sorry :-)

Thanks anyway. :)