Rescan folder (1535)

lintujuh

Hi!

I upgraded today to 1535 (from 1481). I did some RAW processing and wanted to import the results into my catalog. I use Lightzone for my processing and it creates a smaller sidecar file _lzn.jpg and a full resolution jpg. Rescan folder imported only the sidecar file and when I tried manually add the full resolution jpg file, I get an error message that the file already exists. When searching with basename of the file, Daminion only found the original RAW and the sidecar.

I have recored a video and placed it in my Dropbox.

-Juha

This might not be a rescan problem, but an issue with showing the image in the catalog.

I did a test in another folder, where I first tried to manually import the final image. Steps I did were

1) I selected the final jpg image to import into my catalog

2) Daminion didn't show any error messages, didn't show an import summary nor didn't show the image

3) I reselected the same image to import into my catalog

4) Daminion showed an error message that the image already exists in the catalog

5) I selected to import the sidecar file (_lzn.jpg)

6) Daminion showed an import summary and the image is visible in my catalog

I uploaded also the final jpg (IMB_7841.jpg) into my Dropbox if there is something in the image file itself.

-Juha

This might not be a rescan problem, but an issue with showing the image in the catalog.

I did a test in another folder, where I first tried to manually import the final image. Steps I did were

1) I selected the final jpg image to import into my catalog

2) Daminion didn't show any error messages, didn't show an import summary nor didn't show the image

3) I reselected the same image to import into my catalog

4) Daminion showed an error message that the image already exists in the catalog

5) I selected to import the sidecar file (_lzn.jpg)

6) Daminion showed an import summary and the image is visible in my catalog

I uploaded also the final jpg (IMB_7841.jpg) into my Dropbox if there is something in the image file itself.

-Juha

Hello Juha,

this issue is due to a new Daminion feature - to display only RAW files when shooting RAW+Jpeg and importing both. It saves visual space in the browser window and in most cases all metadata adjustments are done to RAW files. 'RAW+native Jpeg' can be considered as one media item and therefore there is no need to display both. However, Jpeg is registered in the database as 'imported'and related to the RAW file. The developers added this option for the future improvements of this feature. For example, if you moved a RAW file within Daminion, Jpeg file would be moved alongside it, just like it works now for xmp sidecar files. Unfortunately, the feature is not completely fulfilled yet.

Not native (camera) Jpegs are recognized by Daminion as a 'version' of the original RAW file as well: registered in the database, but not displayed.

I'll discuss this issue with the rest of the team on Friday. It seems it makes a lot of sense to let the users decide whether to import these jpegs or not. I believe we could add a check option in preferences, for instance.

For now, you can slightly rename the converted file and import it to Daminion.

best regards,

Daria

Thank you Daria for your fast reply.

I think the idea of combining the RAW and JPEG and treating them as one makes sense. But would it be better to show the JPEG instead of the RAW? It sounds like putting your negatives in your album and archiving the prints. I understand the order if the JPEG is out of the camera JPEG, but in my case I had already cropped and adjusted the image to my taste. The JPEG is the one I want to be "on top".

In the current concept how can I access the hidden JPEG, if I want to share it with someone or just show it?

Would it be possible to define other sidecar files that would be hidden and associated with the image, e.g. RawTherapee's .pp3 files or LightZone's _lzn.jpg files? That would save time in linking and grouping the images.

-Juha

Hello Juha,

I'm sorry to say that, but we are not going to add any other associated sidecar files, at least in the nearest future.

Regarding the RAW+Jpeg feature, it seems that at least a half of the team is going to vote against adding it in the new version. Will see at tomorrow's meeting.

In the current concept how can I access the hidden JPEG, if I want to share it with someone or just show it?

With the v1535, the only way to add the jpegs would be to change the naming rule for converted Lightzone Jpegs or convert them to TIFs. Not very convenient and not always helpful, agree.

Best regards,

Daria

Hi Murat,

I think it's definitely better than use the builtin thumbnail. But there are still open issues. How can I select shall I export the RAW or the JPEG? Also am I tagging the RAW/XMP and/or the JPEG? Or is it just my workflow that makes me feel uncomfortable when I don't see the JPEG.

-Juha

Hello,

to handle the RAW+JPG taken by the camera at the same moment is ok for me. BUT I have the same problems already written by Juha.

I've created smaller JPG form CR2 files and imported them by Rescan folders (same folder with the CR2 files). Nothing happend, not even an information that the JPG were "connected" to the CR2.

I suggest to have an option in the Browser Window like: "show/hide JPG sidecar file" and an icon in the thumbnail/list etc. of the RAW item that a sidecar file exists. If the JPG sidecar file is visible one can work with it like any other item.

I have a lot of DNG files imported (converted from CR2 files by the Adobe DNG converter) and this option in the preferences:

Daminion_1538_Preferences.jpg

Some questions:

If I tag the JPG sidecar item (if visible in the Browser Window) - does the RAW file get the same tags automatically and vice versa?

Can I remove/delete the JPG sidecar file independent from the RAW file?

The DNG is not a "really RAW" file in my case because it's not originally taken by a camera like it's possible by Leica cameras. Why is the JPG with the same name handled like the "real CR2-RAW+JPG", even if DNG files don't have sidecar files (see preferences).

Regards, Uwe