Feature Requests

fhahn

I have been testing Daminion Server and there are a couple of features that I would like to see.

1. When adding files, I would like a way to exclude directories. The way I have stored my files, I have included a thumbnails and data directories. I don't necessarily want them included in the database. After adding the directories, I then need to uncheck all of the directories I don't want. It would be nice to have a way to exclude directories.

2. Another program that I have been looking at is called Photo Supreme. It has what they call a Travel or offline mode. Here is how they explain it:

"With Photo Supreme you have previews of your images stored inside the catalog. So even if your images are physically located on your network or external drive, they travel with you. The size of your previews is configurable. If you are in “Travel†mode, Photo Supreme remains fully functional. You can even access your images as you are enjoying your Cuba Libre on the beach. Back home you switch off Travel Model and push the changes back to your image files."

I have seen the information about connecting using a VPN or connecting to the server via the Internet but the above sounds a lot easier.

3. Another program that I have looked at but really have no desire to use is called Historian from https://www.panstoria.com. This same program was previously called Memory Manager and was sold by a company called Creative Memories until they went out of business. One feature that looks interesting is what they call fuzzy dates. Here is a brief description:

"Have old photos that don’t have digital timestamps? No problem. Historian lets you assign “fuzzy dates†to photos, like “1970s†or “Christmas 1988†or “Summer of 1942.†You can search for photos the same way, like asking for all photos from “Spring 2008.â€"

Maybe there is a way to do this in Daminion. I have some old photos and slides pre-1970. Trying to add dates to these files does not work well. It would be nice to add dates that can be sorted and/or found.

Thanks.

Frank_H

3. Another program that I have looked at but really have no desire to use is called Historian from https://www.panstoria.com. This same program was previously called Memory Manager and was sold by a company called Creative Memories until they went out of business. One feature that looks interesting is what they call fuzzy dates. Here is a brief description:

"Have old photos that don’t have digital timestamps? No problem. Historian lets you assign “fuzzy dates” to photos, like “1970s” or “Christmas 1988” or “Summer of 1942.” You can search for photos the same way, like asking for all photos from “Spring 2008.”"

Maybe there is a way to do this in Daminion. I have some old photos and slides pre-1970. Trying to add dates to these files does not work well. It would be nice to add dates that can be sorted and/or found.

Hi Frank,

I enter to all photos of the "analog" history the DateTime Creation. Either I know it or set a date as good as possible. Yes it's a long process. But to make it short why not assign keywords or assign these photos to collections, e.g. "1970s" or "Christmas 1988".

Regards, Uwe

Hi Frank,

I enter to all photos of the "analog" history the DateTime Creation. Either I know it or set a date as good as possible. Yes it's a long process. But to make it short why not assign keywords or assign these photos to collections, e.g. "1970s" or "Christmas 1988".

Regards, Uwe

I posted too soon on this. I was not expecting Daminion to pick up on the dates that I had entered into several of my scans of slides. The dates from the 1940s and 1960s both got picked up by Daminion which is great.

Frank_H

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Frank,

#1. I've append your vote to this feature.

#2. This option called Offline Previews will be available in the Daminion 3.5 version. You can view medium res version of your images when the original files will be offline. And the turn Sync option On to write all your tag changes into the files.