Find duplicates?

WolfgangO

In the features of build 998 I could read about finding duplicates. But, I understand it not - or: what must I do to find duplicates. Now I have build 1006 - but I see nothing about this feature. Can anyone help me?

You can find duplicates using the "Saved Search > Duplicates" option. However it doesn't work properly in the the latest 1006, so please wait for the next build.

I also have a problem understanding this feature. When are pictures considered duplicates?

The latest Daminion 3.2 1006 version finds duplicates only by comparing their visual part and ignoring the metadata block. So to display two images as duplicates they should be 100% identical, however their metadata block can be different.

But as I mentioned above this feature works incorrectly in the 1006 build. And will be fixed in the upcoming new version along with some other improvements and bug fixes.

2014-04-17_202027.gif

• 1 month later...

But as I mentioned above this feature works incorrectly in the 1006 build. And will be fixed in the upcoming new version along with some other improvements and bug fixes.

Is the Find duplicates supposed to work correctly in build 1024?

I installed the latest build today and noticed Duplicates under Saved Searches, which showed 911 search results right away after starting. However, I did not see any pairs of similar pictures in the search result and none of 911 seemed to me as being a candidate for having any duplicates. But how can I tell for sure?

Furthermore, after doing some other changes in the catalog, the number of "duplicates" slowly reduced, showing 897 now.

Meanwhile, I noticed whenever I perform an Item -> Action -> Read Tags from File the corresponding files are removed from the search results for Duplicates. Doing so for all items listed under Duplicates, I finally was able to find some real duplicates.

After installing Build 1025, I see still the same behavior as described above.

Edited by WilfriedB

I see the same like Wilfried: 1655 Fotos are shown as "duplicates" but NOT ONE Foto is really a duplicate. I wish to find Photos which I (for example) imported under its filename and the next time under its really name - but with the same content (I mean not exif....a.s.o) - that means: the same Photo.

I had the same issue - after updating the thumbnails (CTRL-B) it is ok.

The behavior is still the same in Build 1026, but Uwe's circumvention is much less time consuming with less manual work. However, after updating the thumbnails (CTRL-B) you need to click another search and then return to Duplicates search, so that the number of found items is refreshed and the non-duplicate images are actually removed from the view.

Also note, if you keep the default of 1000 images per page (Edit -> Preferences -> General) and you find more than 1000 images under Duplicates, you cannot select more than 1000 images in one step and have to repeat the process. It seems to me, after changing the maximum images per page, you need to restart Daminion before you can select more than 1000 images at once.

Pressing CTRL-B doesn't change anything at all. As you can see in the screenshot it's unfortunately not very useful. Just two duplicates are shown together in the last row.

If you have selected Display Number of Assigned Files, you will see the number of "duplicates" decreasing after a couple of seconds. However, the non-duplicates are still shown in the view. To "refresh" the view, I clicked on a another search, preferable one which shows "0" and then click Duplicates again (maybe there is a better way to refresh??).

Whenever you click the Duplicates search, the Sort by: is set to File Size. For a good reason! Duplicate images must have the same size (otherwise they would not be identical). Therefore the duplicates show up very close to each other, if not directly adjacent and you have a good way to identify the couples or more general the n-tuples, because there can be more than two identical pictures.

Ah... now I got it :-) Before pressing CTRL-B you have to select all (displayed) thumbnails, then it works.

I don't think that duplicates must necessarily have the same size. If the content of pictures is identical they still can differ in size because of different exif data.

Correct, I neglected to mention you need to select all (Ctrl-a) first.

And yes, you are right, if metadata is different, the files sizes could be different too, but at least they would appear not so far distant from each other when sorted by size.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there some way to reset Duplicates category? It shows that a half of all files are duplicates. I tried to refresh thumbnails, it didn't help.

Did you see our posts above? Refreshing thumbnails did help for us, but did not show results immediately. If you have selected Display Number of Assigned Files, you will see the number of "duplicates" decreasing after a couple of seconds. However, the non-duplicates are still shown in the view. To "refresh" the view, I clicked on a another search, preferable one which shows "0" and then click Duplicates again.

However, my experience is now several builds ago and all my fake duplicates disappeared.

After updating to the latest version and some struggling, number of fake duplicates decreased but not completely. I still think there should be some more obvious way. And now I have another problem: duplicates are files with the same name and in the same place. Looks like this is consequences of moving/merging. I think it's easier to reimport the whole catalog. Anyway, thanks for the help.

After updating to the latest version and some struggling, number of fake duplicates decreased but not completely. I still think there should be some more obvious way. And now I have another problem: duplicates are files with the same name and in the same place. Looks like this is consequences of moving/merging. I think it's easier to reimport the whole catalog. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Regarding moving/merging, there's definitely a bug in build 1048. When I cut and paste entire folders within the catalog to other locations in the catalog, the catalog correctly shows them in the new location but the folders are still in their old location on disk, they haven't actually moved.

Moving individual files by dragging and dropping them works, but it's when you cut and paste entire folders that you have a problem. This is a new bug that was introduced in 1048.

• 2 weeks later...

It was too late :) But not a big deal.

And now I have one more question: how to select all NOT duplicates?

The only way to do this is by performing the next steps:

- select all duplicates

- assign a temporary tags to found files

- exclude all files with this temporary tag

Regarding moving/merging, there's definitely a bug in build 1048. When I cut and paste entire folders within the catalog to other locations in the catalog, the catalog correctly shows them in the new location but the folders are still in their old location on disk, they haven't actually moved.

Moving individual files by dragging and dropping them works, but it's when you cut and paste entire folders that you have a problem. This is a new bug that was introduced in 1048.

It seems the problem is fixed in the 1059 build.

- select all duplicates

- assign a temporary tags to found files

Probably Daminion should do such thing by itself. I bet it's already do (otherwise how it can distinguish duplicates from not duplicates)...

And I think it would be nice to have some advanced tag processing capabilities: some scripts or such.