Looking for a right term for Restricted Areas

Murat

One of the most requested features for Daminion Server is adding support for multiple shared catalogs. To split different type of content or to separate an access for certain group of users on file (item) level.

So to partially cover this demand, we decided to add add a new feature named "Restricted Areas" that allows to limit an access to certain group of items for certain group of users. This is a test name, becauase I don't sure whether it sounds right for native English speakers). I've posted below some possible variants for this term.

Any feedback are very welcome!

Possible variants are:

- Scopes

- Zones

- Visible Areas

- Visibility Scope

- Access Zones

- Restricted Areas

- Access Areas

- Access Restrictions

Hello,

my question is: Why do you need this area?

When I have "Groups" (maybe defined like a tag) and I can assign items to this "Group" then I would like to define in the User Administration e.g.

user01:Administrator - that means no limitations

user02:editor - that means all authorizations of the Editor and no limitations

user03:editor:group01 - that means all authorizations of the Editor but only for the Group01. He can't neither see nor edit any other item in the catalog

user04:reader - that means all authorizations of the Reader and no limitations

user05:reader:group02 - that means all authorizations of the Reader but only for the Group02. He can't see any other item in the catalog

ERP systems have a high sofisticated Authorization Management but that seems to be "overloaded" for the moment.

Regards, Uwe

my question is: Why do you need this area?

Restricted Areas (or whatever name we'll choose for this) allows you restict an access to different group of items. From one side feature will simulate "multiple catalogs" feature, and allows to hide a certain group of items from certain group of users. Of if you'll 10 designers or architects - each of them can work with his own set of items and don't see each others documents (but the Tag Vocabulary will be the same and visible for all users).

'Access Restriction' and 'Access Control' for my vote.

Dean, thanks for the suggestion. But don't users think that this option is the only Restriction method in Daminion. Because we can also restrict an access via Roles.

Restricted Areas (or whatever name we'll choose for this) allows you restict an access to different group of items. From one side feature will simulate "multiple catalogs" feature, and allows to hide a certain group of items from certain group of users. Of if you'll 10 designers or architects - each of them can work with his own set of items and don't see each others documents (but the Tag Vocabulary will be the same and visible for all users).

Hi Murat,

I understood what you mean. My question was wrong. My question is: why does Daminion need a "restriction area" and the "group" when you have to define "groups" and then one has to assign these groups to the "restricted area". Is it not enough to link the "groups" directly to the user rights?

What about: authorization control?

Regards, Uwe

I understood what you mean. My question was wrong. My question is: why does Daminion need a "restriction area" and the "group" when you have to define "groups" and then one has to assign these groups to the "restricted area". Is it not enough to link the "groups" directly to the user rights?

What about: authorization control?

The "Groups" term doesn't disclose what is behind this feature. Users might think that this is just a list of users "grouped by Groups".