Problem with accented letters

gt13013

Hello,

I am testing Daminion 2.0.0.911, and I have a problem with accented letters.

When I import these 2 images in a Daminion Catalog, searching "mésange" only returns the JPEG image. This is because the accented letter é inside mésange is not correctly recognized by Daminion in the D71_0396.NEF image.

Using the "Show All Metadata" menu (clic on thumbnail of the D71_0396.NEF image, then top right clic on the "Actions" icon, then clic on "Show All Metadata"), it appears that ExifTool reads correctly the XMP and IPTC metadata.

post-1703-0-88804900-1383478931_thumb.png

By the way, it would be necessary for people using accented letters languages that Daminion could consider that all the letters in the "class" e-é-è-ê-ë-E-É-È-Ê-Ë are equivalent.

Are there solutions to these problems?

Thanks. Gerard

Gerard, thanks for the sample images - we'll analyze the issue on the upcoming week.

Regarding the umlaut independent search - right now it's not possible - E and É are different symbols while searching.

But there is a known issue with the Local catalogs, when search is case-sensitive for national symbols including umlauts like é and É. But it's Ok with server catalogs. Hope we'll fix this soon.

Regarding the umlaut independent search - right now it's not possible - E and É are different symbols while searching.

OK, e and E are also different characters, but the searches make no distinction between them. Probably with a little algorithmic additional module, it could be possible to define equivalent characters classes and solve the problem... That would be a huge enhancement for people using accented characters.

Gerard

I would apreciate it if E and all the other e-letters would be the same. Maybe as an option.

YES, and also the "a" letters class, and the "i", "o", "u", c-ç-C-Ç, etc...

The best way would be a solution

- where the user could define his own equivalence classes,

- and if it was possible to toggle between the strict search and the search by equivalences.

I have detailed why it is a necessary feature elsewhere, and the same holds for every search software...

Gerard, thanks for the explanations. I've added your request to our feature list.

We are totally rely to existing SQL Databases capabilities here. For example there is a problem with case-insensitive search for national symbols for SQLite (standalone catalogs) but all is Ok with shared catalogs (PostgreSQL based catalogs).

As a possible solution - automatically generate non-umlaut version of tags and put them as synonyms of there tags that contain umlauts. But this is only after implementing the "Tag Synonyms" feature.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorting the accented letters is a very tricky issue. In Finnish we have 'a' and 'ä' and 'ä' is the second last alphabet and you shouldn't treat them equally. On the other hand in German 'ä' is treated as 'ae' and in Norwegian 'aa' should be treated and sorted as 'å', the third last alphabet. So this problem is not only about single letters but also about letter pairs. In Finnish we have even that anomaly that 'v' and 'w' are treated equal.

I suggest that if there is not a solution that can support all languages, then Daminion should treat all different character codes as different letters.

• 6 years later...

Hello.

I am coming back in order to see if there are improvements in order to solve the problem exposed more than 6 years ago, and that is still described at the beginning of this topic. At that time I was testing Daminion version 2. The problem is that the two pictures (the NEF one and the JPEG one)  have been tagged simultaneously. ExifTool sees the same word mésange in both files. But Daminion sees mésange in the NEF file and mésange in the JPG file. Consequently, searching mésange does not find the NEF file.

From the online user guide https://daminion.net/docs/topics/searching/advanced-search/  I have not seen any novelty from this point of view.

Is there some improvement in the recent versions?

Can somebody using a recent version of Daminion try with the 2 files given above in the first post? Since there is no demo version of Daminion I cannot test by myself.

I had suggested above to build equivalence classes between some sets of characters. Another possibility would be to use jokers like in some search engines (? replaces any character, and * replaces any group of characters). By this way, searching m?sange would solve the problem.

Thanks. Gerard.

2 hours ago, WilfriedB said:

There is still a free standalone client for up to 15,000 media items, you can download here: https://daminion.net/download-server?showbuttons  Page down to "Daminion Standalone" and click the Download button.

Thanks a lot. I did not find this demo program before and it is quite helpful. I installed it and yes, the problem is now corrected in the current  version: the NEF file and the JPG file are both found when I search mésange.  

• Like 1