Problems with german "Umlaut" - mutated vowel ... again

_noel_

Hello to all,

after some months of absence and some Daminion versions, I'm back again :-)

version 875 seems to have problems with german umlauts / mutated vowels (like some daminion versions of former times ...).

(similar to this thread)

I've geotagged some images (Nikon D800 & D80 NEFs, data written to NEFs, no XMP sidecar) with geosetter (v 3.4.38, exiftool version 9.35).

Daminion shows the state "Baden-Württemberg" as "Baden-Württemberg", also all other new geo tags with umlauts are crippled.

I forced Daminion to use the newest exiftool version, but this did not fix the problem.

Also if I tag an image with "Baden-Württemberg" within Daminion, after "Write tags" / "Read tags" with Daminion the umlaut is crippled.

Can this be fixed again?

Addendum: the problem is with the NEFs, JPGs, which have been extracted from the NEFs are ok, the Umlauts are not crippled ...

Regards

Eberhard

Edited by _noel_
  • Upvote 1

The bug can be reproduced with other tags too, e.g. with "People"

(Tested with Nikon NEFs)

Regards

Eberhard

Ok,

I mean all Names I enter do not have any mutated words.

So in case of Austria (Österreich) I entered "Oesterreich" etc. I guess this is okay. I anyhow thought about making the complete structure in english.

regards

rene

Ok,

I mean all Names I enter do not have any mutated words.

So in case of Austria (Österreich) I entered "Oesterreich" etc. I guess this is okay. I anyhow thought about making the complete structure in english.

regards

rene

a DAM software, which is not able to deal with other languages / codepages than english is IMHO - sorry to say that - valueless.

Regards

Eberhard

I mean, it should be fixed, but i guess there are much more important features that need to be implemented

It's a bug, not a feature :wink:... and it has been working a few versions before.

I think, the issue can be fixed with low effort ...

Regards

Eberhard

Hello,

I've tested it again with the server version and a DNG item. I entered the German-Umlauts "ÄÖÜäöü" in the Title, Description, Keywords and Places Tags - no problem in build 875. I use Win7-64bit German.

Regards, Uwe

Hello,

I've tested it again with the server version and a DNG item. I entered the German-Umlauts "ÄÖÜäöü" in the Title, Description, Keywords and Places Tags - no problem in build 875. I use Win7-64bit German.

Regards, Uwe

Hello Uwe,

Yes, DNG seems to work, but other RAWs, e.g. NEFs do not ...

Regards

Eberhard

• 2 weeks later...

I will add my two cents worth of similar troubles.

On Estonian keyboards the usual way to get letters š and ž is to use combinations Alt Gr+s and Alt Gr+z respectively. However, Daminion seems to have a problem with entering the lowercase ž into the fields. After you enter it, all the previously entered characters besides the first one in the field disappear. Interestingly enough the uppercase Ž doesn't cause a similar problem.

I am using umlauts in DAM without problems, I have places like Jämsä and Mänttä. My guess is that your problem is using character set Latin-1 in one (Daminion) software and UTF-8 (exiftool) in the other. Check the exiftool FAQ about charsets.

I write and read with Daminion, and with Exiftool GUI within Daminion.

Murat has got images and screencast from me, it's a problem within Daminion.

Same images (NEF) work with Daminion RC1 build 833.

Regards

Eberhard

• 2 weeks later...