New IP Assigned

Mardon

My network uses DHCP and the server machine was assigned a new ip address after a recent power outage. My shared catalog was formerly at 192.168.2.17\NetCatalog. The server machine is now 192.168.2.15. How do I get the Daminion client to open the Shared Catalog? I can't find any way to change the ip address of the shared catalog to the new server ip. Can anyone help?

Shouldn't catalogs use the machine name instead of the hard-coded ip address in order to avoid this problem?

I guess I figured it out. I added a "new" catalog with the new ip address of192.168.2.15 and it seems to have retrieved the previous shared catalog. I can then delete what is now the incorrect catalog at 192.168.2.17. This seems very awkward though. For networks with dynamically assigned ip addresses it seems like names should be used; not ip numbers.

I would also vote for Daminion using name resolution so that machine names can be used as well as IP addresses.

Having said that, though, in this specific case I would recommend using a reservation on your DHCP server so that important machines can still benefit from DHCP but have predictable, essentially static, addresses. I have done this with my key machines and find it works very well.

• 2 weeks later...