Purpose of 'Daminion.Media.Engine'

Roger

Hi Roger, 

Yes, it is. It is the new Media Updater module that generates new thumbnails that are required for version 8.4.  It is used intensively right after the upgrade to convert thumbnails to a new format and generate missing midsize and previews. Then it will practically go into a sleep mode, waking up only for importing and generating thumbs for the newly imported files.

Please find more info below: 

https://daminion.net/docs/daminion-8-4-migration/

https://daminion.net/articles/news/daminion-8-4-release-whats-new/

Hi Daria,

Thank you for answering my question. After reading the 'Daminion 8.4 Migration' document that you mentioned in your reply, I have a couple of questions for which I would appreciate your input.

• My 'C' drive is a SSD drive. The thumbnails migration to a new format is causing it to fill up quite rapidly. I understand that the old 'dat' files will remain (in case I need to revert to a previous version of Daminion). If I do not plan to revert to a previous version of Daminion, is it safe to simply delete all 'dat' files from the 'C:\ProgramData\Daminion Software\Daminion Server\Thumbnails\NetCatalog' folder?

• Since both the server and client are now 64-bit applications, is it safe to delete manually the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Daminion Software' folder from my 'C' drive?

6 hours ago, Roger said:

Since both the server and client are now 64-bit applications, is it safe to delete manually the 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Daminion Software' folder from my 'C' drive?

Hello,

I renamed the "old" folders e.g. to Daminion.sav. After some days without any problems I'll delete them. But you should not delete the folder "Daminion Web Client Assistant". Even if it's a 64bit app, it's installed in the "old 32bit folder".

regards, Uwe

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2023 at 9:28 AM, Uwe said:

Hello,

I renamed the "old" folders e.g. to Daminion.sav. After some days without any problems I'll delete them. But you should not delete the folder "Daminion Web Client Assistant". Even if it's a 64bit app, it's installed in the "old 32bit folder".

regards, Uwe

Thanks for the tip. It was very helpful.

On 8/24/2023 at 10:47 AM, Daria Kotilainen said:

Hello Roger, 

No, please do not deleted all .dat files. Midsize and previews are still using .dat files for the web client, only thumbs will be in jpeg

Per your suggestion, I didn't delete my 'dat' files. However, I noticed a different issue.

This week, I have run a daily count of the 'jpg' and 'dat' files found in my 'C:\ProgramData\Daminion Software\Daminion Server\Thumbnails\NetCatalog.' Every count as found 109,270 files. Yet every day, some of these files appears to have work done on them by 'Daminion.Media.Engine'. As I am writing this post, 9,775 of them have a modified date set to September 15, 2023. Yet, I have not imported new files for the past three weeks.

Is this a normal behavior?

Earlier today, I installed v. 8.4.3214. This latest version does appear do have fixed the issue. Indeed, since I installed it, none of my 'dat' and 'jpg' files in my 'C:\ProgramData\Daminion Software\Daminion Server\Thumbnails\NetCatalog' folder have had their 'modified' date modified.

Whereas whit v. 8.4.3200, I was still experiencing the issue.

image.png.27343bf8632248eaa463c5e00e1852ed.pngimage.png.a2e15cf2248eb741df55e63a33bd971f.pngimage.thumb.png.c5894a1d8116f57bf6969e0059dee242.png

2 hours ago, lintujuh said:

Is the 3214 version available? I have had 3200 running for one month, and it is still consuming constantly ~10% of my CPU. I guess this is due to the same issue as @Roger has.

-Juha

Sorry, I forgot you had an older version. You can always download the newest version by filling in your contact information and the link to the new version will be sent to your e-mail.

https://daminion.net/download/