Remove folder from catalog and delete from disk

kalain

Hi,

It's a bit surprising that's not possible to remove a folder from catalog AND delete it from disk !!

You can only remove it from catalog !

Would be nice if a folder could be removed from catalog AND from disk, same as an item you can choose : 'Remove from catalog' or 'Remove from catalog AND from disk'.

post-891-0-98024400-1535983425_thumb.jpg

Hi,

It's a bit surprising that's not possible to remove a folder from catalog AND delete it from disk !!

You can only remove it from catalog !

Would be nice if a folder could be removed from catalog AND from disk, same as an item you can choose : 'Remove from catalog' or 'Remove from catalog AND from disk'.

screen copy03-09-2018-15.45.58.jpg

Hi Kalain,

This is done to prevent accidental deletion of the files with the folders. If one is inattentive (like me, unfortunately), he can select a whole folder and click DEL. If Daminion had deleted folders with files from disk by default, we'd have got lots of complaints on how insecure our system is :)

You can delete all files within a folder, delete from disk and catalog, then delete the empty sub-folder.

Kind regards,

Daria

I agree with Daria, also because there might be other files inside the folder of which Daminion is not aware of (different file type, never imported .... etc).

However, you can right click the folder and select Locate in Explorer, so Windows Explorer will open and you can verify, if you really want delete the folder.

I hope that Microsoft will also not remove the possibility to delete a folder (and sub folder) from Explorer because users can delete some datas....

Let be serious one second!

What about to send a folder to Recycle bin from Daminion (and remove it from catalog)

If you made a mistake you can still cancel you delete from Recycle bin.

Removing a folder should behave same as when you want to remove an item :

1/ remove from catalog : Yes / no

2/ send to recycle bin : Yes / no

This is a real pain if you can't fully manage folders from Daminion, same as an explorer : Create, delete, drag and drop to another one, rename.

Hope to see such features soon...

Hi!

I have understood Daminion's philosophy so that the asset management should be based on the metadata, not on the data location.

I haven't missed the folder operations, because for me the folder structure is mostly irrelevant, more important are the different tags. I use folders only when I import the items, to have a manageable number of files for raw processing and at the end for tagging them in Daminion.

-Juha

• Upvote 1

I haven't missed the folder operations, because for me the folder structure is mostly irrelevant, more important are the different tags. I use folders only when I import the items, to have a manageable number of files for raw processing and at the end for tagging them in Daminion.

Exactly my view too!

I have understood Daminion's philosophy so that the asset management should be based on the metadata, not on the data location.

Yes, I totally agree with you but imho there is a minimum folder management to do.

Do you mean all your pictures are stored inside only one root folder ?

I'm pretty sure it's not the case.

So if you create, move, delete or change folder name outside Daminion you will have to rescan your root folder catalog in order to synchronize your folder tree.

The problem is this can take quite a long time.

By now, if you can do the 4 basics folder operations inside Daminion this can save lot of time (by avoiding Rescan folder) : Create (ok), rename (ok), move folder (missing), delete (missing)

I can manage without these 4 folders basics operations but this is not the easiest way to do :-((

I have my folder structure organized under one root level folder (Pictures) under which I have folders for year and sub-folders for date. I have found this to be enough. As I said earlier, the folders themselves don't carry any information. They are just a way to organize the storage and manage the files in Windows.

-Juha

• Upvote 1

I have my folder structure organized under one root level folder (Pictures) under which I have folders for year and sub-folders for date.

-Juha

Yes same for me but with a brief and global picture subject description after folder date.

Sometimes I have several folders in the same day when picture subjects are differents.

Like this, I still can browse or quickly search pictures through explorer search feature.

Yep, this is not so precise as Daminion but this can do the job.

So, depending where your Daminion root folder catalog starts (Pictures or year folder), you can't delete or move folder inside Daminion. You have to do it outside Daminion and then rescan folder root which can take quite a long time. (Especially if it's Pictures which include all years)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...