Does Daminion have a 'smart album' feature?

Jistme

Hi there,

I am a newbee to Daminion, just started evaluating it against some other photo managers to decide on which one to choose for managing a large photo library.

Daminion is at the moment near top of my list, but there is one feature I found in other software that I like, and haven't been able to find in Daminion. (could be me though!)

It's usually called something like 'smart album'.

You can create an album, and set rules for the photos to be displayed in that album.

As an example create an album called: 'Best of family pictures trip London 2015'

and set rules such as 'City = London', 'Year = 2015', 'Rating => 3 stars', People = John AND/OR Linda AND/OR Peter AND/OR Mary

So then this album will be dynamically updated and refreshed as soon as a photograph is found in the main library that contains these tags.

Hello Jistme,

you can do it by using the "Advanced Search" function. There you define your selection criteria and save it e.g. as "Best of family pictures trip London 2015".

Daminion_Advanced_Search.jpg

Calling this saved search shows all items which fulfill the selection criteria at the moment of items in your catalog.

Regards, Uwe

Great!

Thanks for the fast response Jacal & Uwe!

That's working out quite nicely.

It's not where I had looked to find a solution since 'saved searches' does look/feel quite a bit different than something like 'smart album' or 'dynamic catalogue' or something like that.

But checking it out, it looks like it will indeed achieve very close to what I was looking for.

But it looks like when using this 'trick', it makes it impossible to for example additionally and temporarily use other filtering tags from that column on that saved search. So quickly navigating within the saved search is a bit trickier than it would be searching and navigating within a 'smart album'.

Never mind, this helped me a lot to be convinced that it's probably worthwhile to continue and explore and study Daminion more seriously.

• 1 year later...

Activate the "Tray" (WINDOW>TRAY)

Then you can drag selected files into tray..Select all items in tray, RIght click and choose "Put items into a collection)

Name collection as needed.

Not a "Smart" album per se, However, it may assist in quickly selecting files that you wish to manually add/batch tag, to add to your "Smart album/collection.

• Upvote 1

So quickly navigating within the saved search is a bit trickier than it would be searching and navigating within a 'smart album'.

After you opened a "Saved Search" you can still modify the search criteria (by clicking the Advanced button, removing one or more options in the search bar or changing the Sort By: at the bottom of the display). Alternatively, you can also Ctrl-click any tag in the Tags window to add an additional condition (or Ctrl+Alt+Shift click to negate the condition).

That does not change the "Saved Search", but the current view only. If you want to apply those changes permanently to the saved search or create an additional one, you can click the button on the left of the search bar and select Save this Search... .

Activate the "Tray" (WINDOW>TRAY)

Then you can drag selected files into tray..

To place one or more items into the tray, simply select them and press the Insert key. The tray will open, if not open yet and the images placed into the tray immediately. But if you prefer drag and drop as ShadeWalker described, it is possible too.