Position an image on the map (1455)

lintujuh

Sometimes when I drag an image on a marker of other images, the image doesn't get the same coordinates and the marker changes from callout to a rectangle. The same thing happens even when I select all the images in the almost the same place and reposition them all into one location and then add another image.

In Daminion both images have the same geolocation, but when using ExifTools, there is a difference.

-Juha

@Murat: I have shared a short video and the images in my Dropbox. (files geo_location.avi and images IMG_5571*).

post-481-0-80091900-1463254099_thumb.png

post-481-0-90830100-1463254107_thumb.png

• 1 year later...

I always set the geo-tags before importing the images into Daminion. By comparing the tags stored in Daminion with the meta data shown by ExifTools, I discovered now:

Whenever the Sync process updates the meta data (in JPG IPTC), due to other tags being changed, there will be slight changes for the Latitude/Longitude as well, even when I did not touch the GPS-data in Daminion. Most times the differences are so small, that you don't notice any difference on the Daminion panel in the form xx° xx' xx.xx".

• 2 weeks later...

My home address has dozens of geolocations depending on a variety of factors. For smartphone images, was I standing at the front of the garden, inside the house, somewhere in the garden? For DSLR images, how accurate was my placement of the marker (Juha's issue).

All of the variant forms of the geolocation are keyworded to my home address. It'd be really nice if I could lasso them all, right click one and select Merge Geolocations.

It would also be nice if you could assign a geolocation to a Place or Keyword, so that instead of having to apply markers manually to the images, the act of assigning a photo to a place or keyword would copy the geolocation to the files. I floated the idea past Daminion a while ago but it was shot down in flames because the inaccurate GPS coordinates were deemed to be inviolate.

• Upvote 1

It'd be really nice if I could lasso them all, right click one and select Merge Geolocations.

Paul, for exactly that reason, I prefer to use GeoSetter to correct or manually set the Geo-Tags. I can define favorites - mainly for places at home or where I made many pictures without GPS-logger. For each favorite you can define a "radius". Within that radius, all points are considered equal and map to the same location. This would also allow you to distinguish between "the front of the garden, inside the house, somewhere in the garden, ...." easily.

GeoSetter also suggests the place tags based on the the numerical coordinates, which works mostly great for Country, State and City, but the lowest level, location, I usually define myself.

To work with geo tagging, it is faster for me to define GeoSetter as External Tool in Daminion. Instead of opening the map in Daminion, I right click a thumbnail, type o (for open) m (for "Managing metadata ... ").

In fact, my work flow is this:

1. Copy the images to disk using ImageIngester (without importing into Daminion!). The file names are renamed and a folder structure (.... \photos\2017\11\04) built automatically.
  2. Add Geo-tags (either manually, or applying a .gpx track) with GeoSetter. It also sets the place tags and some bulk meta data
  3. Adding people with Picasa (sometimes also at later point in time)
  4. Import the images into Daminion

Interesting! I must check it out.

Thanks Wilfried

You're welcome Paul thank_you2.gif

Here is the web site: http://www.geosetter.de/en . Note, since several years, Friedemann Schmidt did not publish any "official" release anymore, but still occasionally new "beta" versions. The latest is 3.4.53 (Build 2170) BETA, which can be downloaded from here: http://www.geosetter...setter_beta.exe

You're welcome Paul thank_you2.gif

Here is the web site: http://www.geosetter.de/en . Note, since several years, Friedemann Schmidt did not publish any "official" release anymore, but still occasionally new "beta" versions. The latest is 3.4.53 (Build 2170) BETA, which can be downloaded from here: http://www.geosetter...setter_beta.exe

I just downloaded it. Looks very promising.

But can you give some advice. Using my home locations as a good example, here's what I see in Daminion:

post-3427-0-85005600-1509827147_thumb.png

There are 1,739 files scattered across dozens of date stamped folders.

How would you advise approaching the problem of locating all of them in GeoSetter and resetting the geolocations please?

I think once the file changes are made, Synology will reindex the files and Daminion's watch service will update the catalog

- Paul

There are 1,739 files scattered across dozens of date stamped folders.

When you say "date stamped folders", you mean one folder for each day or longer time periods?

It is easy to handle all images in the same folder at once, but unfortunately, GeoSetter first reads all files in the same folder when you start it and if the number of files exceeds 200-300, the time to start the program increases significantly. So, you need to work with one folder a time even, if there are images of other locations in the same folder. Although GeoSetter allows you to work with subfolders, it is not an option, because the number files is probably too large.

Once you loaded all images, you can sort or filter (by any of the meta data tags) to work with a subset only, but I would not try to open a folder with more than 300 images at once. For that reason, I apply the Geo-tags daily for each new batch of pictures. I don't have a good solution, to do it later for a big number of images.

Daminion's watch service will update the catalog

Unfortunately according to my experience, this is not correct. When you change meta data outside of Daminion, you need to perform Action -> Read tags from File.

Vice versa, if you change tags in Daminion, they should be written into the files automatically. However, with the help of Juha's program, I realized, it was not always true in the past. But I am using the standalone version of Daminion. Since it uses a different database system, this might not apply to the server versions.

Unfortunately according to my experience, this is not correct. When you change meta data outside of Daminion, you need to perform Action -> Read tags from File.

Vice versa, if you change tags in Daminion, they should be written into the files automatically. However, with the help of Juha's program, I realized, it was not always true in the past. But I am using the standalone version of Daminion. Since it uses a different database system, this might not apply to the server versions.

I am using the server version, which will watch for changes in the file system and read the tags

When you say "date stamped folders", you mean one folder for each day or longer time periods?

It is easy to handle all images in the same folder at once, but unfortunately, GeoSetter first reads all files in the same folder when you start it and if the number of files exceeds 200-300, the time to start the program increases significantly. So, you need to work with one folder a time even, if there are images of other locations in the same folder. Although GeoSetter allows you to work with subfolders, it is not an option, because the number files is probably too large.

Once you loaded all images, you can sort or filter (by any of the meta data tags) to work with a subset only, but I would not try to open a folder with more than 300 images at once. For that reason, I apply the Geo-tags daily for each new batch of pictures. I don't have a good solution, to do it later for a big number of images.

I mean a folder for each day grouped in folders by decade and year. So, potentially, one location could be spread across hundreds of folders.

I can see no practicable solution for using GeoSetter to retrospectively fix images. It might even be easier to use ExifTool command line interface to scan the folders, find the keyword and apply new GPS coordinates. But even that would take a lot of effort.

This is why I would like to see a Daminion capability to align GPS coordinates for a location but, as I said before, they are deaf to the possibility.

Ah well, it was worth a try!

It might even be easier to use ExifTool command line interface to scan the folders, find the keyword and apply new GPS coordinates.

But possibly a combination of Daminion and ExifTool? I.e. "scan the folders, find the keyword" can be done easily with a saved search, then for each thumbnail you call ExifTool to set the coordinates to a fixed value. Similar to Uwe's solution to set a keyword based on the milliseconds ...?

But possibly a combination of Daminion and ExifTool? I.e. "scan the folders, find the keyword" can be done easily with a saved search, then for each thumbnail you call ExifTool to set the coordinates to a fixed value. Similar to Uwe's solution to set a keyword based on the milliseconds ...?

Perhaps. I don't need to do a saved search because I already have a keyword on each image. And if I sort the keyword by date created I will effectively see the folders in date order.

But even then it'll be a chore.....

But thanks for the suggestion

Paul

This issue of multiple close GPS coordinates for a group of images must be a common problem so may I please repeat the request for a Daminion based solution?

1. Allow us to, in some way, group select the multiple items shown in the screen shots provided by Juha and me above. Lassoing is an attractive but not the only way to do this.

2. Then provide an option to Sync GPS location where we can click on a target location in the map

3. Allow us to assign those coordinates to an entry in Place and against a Keyword

4. When Images are tagged with a Place or Keyword that has a GPCS location stored against it, update the newly tagged images with the stored GPS location.

5. When the GPS Location is added to the Place / Keyword, or an existing one is edited, apply the new coordinates to all images in the Place / Keyword

The option for a Place or Keyword to be used to store the GPS location is because Place is not universally used to tag images to a location. To use the image library with Synology Photo Station, for example, you have to use a keyword because Photo Station does not support the Place tag.

• Upvote 1

3. Allow us to assign those coordinates to an entry in Place and against a Keyword

I completely agree with your request, Paul. Specially the fact, that there is no easy way to manually change the coordinates in the properties window for multiple items at once.

Nevertheless another workaround:

Your objective is to set the same coordinates, for all items having a certain keyword. Correct? I believe, this is possible within Daminion.

1. Search all items with that keyword
  2. Select one item which already has the correct coordinates
  3. Right click that item and select Actions -> Copy Tags (or simply Alt+Shift+C)
  4. The dialog "Copy Tags" comes up, where you check Latitude, Longitude and Altitude only(!)
  5. Click the Copy Tags... button.
  6. Select all other items, you want to assign the same location too
  7. Press Alt+Shift+V or Actions -> Paste Tags to assign the coordinates to all selected items.

I completely agree with your request, Paul. Specially the fact, that there is no easy way to manually change the coordinates in the properties window for multiple items at once.

Nevertheless another workaround:

Your objective is to set the same coordinates, for all items having a certain keyword. Correct? I believe, this is possible within Daminion.

1. Search all items with that keyword
  2. Select one item which already has the correct coordinates
  3. Right click that item and select Actions -> Copy Tags (or simply Alt+Shift+C)
  4. The dialog "Copy Tags" comes up, where you check Latitude, Longitude and Altitude only(!)
  5. Click the Copy Tags... button.
  6. Select all other items, you want to assign the same location too
  7. Press Alt+Shift+V or Actions -> Paste Tags to assign the coordinates to all selected items.

Hi Wilfried. Yes that does seem to work. Slow but painless. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

In 1726 there is a new feature that will filter all items that are within your visible ("Show files that you see on the map now"). It should be the quite straight forward to paste the GPS coordinates to the items (and wait for them to sync).

-Juha

Thanks Juha

I have looked and looked until my eyes are popping. I can't find it for looking! Where is it please? It sounds perfect for what I need.

Paul

Well, I think it's working, kind of.

When I made all the images visible and did 'select all' it took about 1 minute for the action to complete.

Then I discovered that the Image section where the GPS coordinates would be entered had no fields into which to enter the values.

So I resorted to drag and drop of selected images onto the map.

That was 40 minutes ago. The Daminion App and Background Process are chugging away, and the Synology NAS is busy reading and writing data so I assume something is going on, although there is no progress visible in the app itself and, under other circumstances I might have concluded that it had hung.

I think I need to wait it out. Terminating a heavyweight read/write process is probably not a good idea

Serves me right for trying this out on 1,739 images!

Thanks Juha. Yes, I figured that out, eventually

My drag and drop process finished over an hour later but did nothing.

So I tried highlighting a few images at a time to assign GPS coordinates manually. And it appears you can't. The Image section doesn't allow you to edit the field.

So I decided to zoom in until all the rectangular markers resolved out into pinned markers so that I could drag and drop them individually. But even then there's a problem because the zoom levels stop before they have all been separated.

So I am back to my original requests

1. Allow us to sync all visible markers to one geolocation

2. Allow us to assign a geolocation to each Place or Keyword so that when the Place or keyword is assigned to the image, the geolocation is set to that value.

- Paul

• Upvote 1

Hi Paul,

I have stopped to try move the markers on the map. The zoom level and also re-calculating the coordinates will make it impossible to get the pinned markers. I use Copy-Paste Tags (for lat, long and alt), like Wilfried also mentioned, to get the coordinates the same for all images.

-Juha