Feature Request - Drag to export

daniel-ina

Hi There,

I think a drag to export feature would be very useful. Often I have the folder open that I need to put certain files in, but instead I have to go look for it through Daminion's export function.

Also, would it be possible to link photos that are uploaded to the server as file links in InDesign rather than having to export them each time? That could be a really good feature.

Thanks,

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't quite understand what do you mean by "link photos that are uploaded to the server". Link to what? Do you mean linking items between each others?

BTW you can configure your Publish panel, so dragging images to a tag value will export selected images to a certain folder with a specified export preset.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't quite understand what do you mean by "link photos that are uploaded to the server". Link to what? Do you mean linking items between each others?

BTW you can configure your Publish panel, so dragging images to a tag value will export selected images to a certain folder with a specified export preset.

I'm thinking explicitly in relation to how programs like InDesign and Premiere Pro handle media files. It would be great if you could drop a file from Daminion directly into a program like Adobe InDesign rather than export it and maintain the files elsewhere.

Good idea with using the publishing groups though. Probably not a complete solution, but it would speed things up slightly.

Hi Daniel,

you can copy a file from the Thumbnail Window to the Desktop or a Folder open in the Explorer by drag and drop.

Regards, Uwe

I'm trying this but I'm having no luck for files in the Daminion Server Catalog. I drag the files to a folder yet nothing happens.

Thanks,

Daniel

I'm trying this but I'm having no luck for files in the Daminion Server Catalog. I drag the files to a folder yet nothing happens.

Dragging files from the Daminion shared catalog to the InDesign or Photoshop will work only if this file was imported to the Daminion by file reference and is accessible by external applications.

If the file was uploaded to a server based folder you can't drag it to your image editor, because Drag&Drop feature requires a direct access to the file.

You can also open your file by a third-party image editor by right clicking on a file and then go to the "Check Out & Edit With > YOUR IMAGE EDITOR" command. In this case Daminion will download the server based file to your local folder, mark it as "checked out", so others cann't edit them, launches the InDesign or Photoshop and opens the image using the selected application.

• 1 month later...

Dragging files from the Daminion shared catalog to the InDesign or Photoshop will work only if this file was imported to the Daminion by file reference and is accessible by external applications.

If the file was uploaded to a server based folder you can't drag it to your image editor, because Drag&Drop feature requires a direct access to the file.

You can also open your file by a third-party image editor by right clicking on a file and then go to the "Check Out & Edit With > YOUR IMAGE EDITOR" command. In this case Daminion will download the server based file to your local folder, mark it as "checked out", so others cann't edit them, launches the InDesign or Photoshop and opens the image using the selected application.

Thanks for that information.

I think it would be highly valuable for Daminion to be able to act as a reference between the content and applications like InDesign. It would be good if this worked for users using a server-maintained catalog. Otherwise we have to maintain files elsewhere, potentially in conflict with out child protection policies and the like.

I also think that drag and drop for files uploaded to the server is absolutely crucial. Many of my users are getting frustrated that they have to go through the export screen, pick a deeply buried folder that is already open on their second screen, then click copy. On smaller resolution screens, some people have to drag the bottom corner of the export dialogue box out to see the copy button which also adds to the confusion.

Thanks again for your help.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thought I would bump this again... Dragging to copy the file from the catalogue into another folder for web upload would speed up our processes a lot.

Thanks!

Another bump on this - my users are asking me to drop Daminion due to the export process... would be an incredible feature to have :)

Daniel, I appreciate your insistence that pushed me to some investigations. And it seems that technically it's possible to implement dragging of uploaded files within the Daminion client to a folder on your Windows Explorer. I've registered this task (#3704) and added it into our roadmap (for 5.0 version).

Thanks for the suggestion!

• 1 month later...

Hello Danial,

the easiest way I found is to simply assign one of the "Color Labels" to each photo you want to export and do the export once it is done!

Hi Rene,

I think that process is OK for IT people. But for marketers who want to grab 1 image out of the database as quickly as they would attach a file to an email, it is certainly a barrier and means that people are more likely to keep decentralised lists of images external to Daminion which means the information is not shared org-wide.