Feature Request: Place Tag by GPS

Russell

Hi Murat and Team,

I would find it beneficial if the GPS tags from my images went ahead and looked up the proper information to populate the Place Tags.

For example, I have photos GPS tagged that were taken within Disneyland. It'd be great if Daminion took these coordinates, set the Country to USA, the State to California, the City to Anaheim and Location to Disneyland.

Geosetter sets all four locations from GPS coordinates - not sure what database they use.

I'd often override the last location, if you can't find a source of this detailed level of data. I usually override what Geosetter provides with descriptions that mean more to me and my family. Things like "Disneyland - Tomorrowland" or "Childhood Home" or "Mark's House" or whatever; but I find it annoying to have to set the basics of Country, State, and City when the GPS coordinates are already tagged.

Thanks,

Russell

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

We also didn't decide yet whether it make sense to use the external public Places factory (service) or each user can specify a connection between GPS coordinates and Places individualy within his Daminion client.

The second way makes sense if someone will prefer to fill in the place names in his native language. And in this case you don't need to edit the Location tag because you can name it exactly as you want. But you need to spend some time by filling in the GPSPlaces Connection Dictionary.

We also didn't decide yet whether it make sense to use the external public Places factory (service) or each user can specify a connection between GPS coordinates and Places individualy within his Daminion client.

I suggest both. If not found in the local dictionary, use one of the public Web Services, but always allow to change the values and build a local dictionary over time from that. While country and state are mostly correct, the city needs to be corrected some times and the sublocation most of the time. At least this true from my experience with http://api.geonames.org as implemented by GeoSetter.