New user from IDImager

rsmith1

My family and I are currently evaluating Daminion Server as a replacement for the recently abandoned IDImager. So far we are very impressed. Daminion server seems to provide most of the features from IDImager that we actually use in a much cleaner and more intuitive interface. The multi-user capability combined with the reasonable price for personal usage are a requirement for us, and the lack of those items prevent us from even considering IMatch (which I used to use myself), Lightroom, or the new PhotoSupreme from the IDImager developer.

I have one initial question: is there a way to force a refresh of a node in the Catalog Tags tree? I have noticed that when photos are imported from one computer, their tags do not show up quickly, if at all, in the Catalog Tags tree on another computer where Daminion is already running. Of course, closing and restarting Daminion causes all those tags to appear, but I was wondering if there is a way to do that refresh directly inside the program.

I also have a feature request that I hope may be considered at some point in the future: the ability to establish relationships between files. I have seen one other request for this in the forums, but I would like to clarify exactly what I mean. I see two types of file relationships:

1.) Derivatives - images that are derived from a source file (e.g. B&W, Sepia, special print processing). It would be helpful to be able to link these different "versions" of an image together and have a way to see the other "versions" from any one of the files.

2.) Stacks - images that are different, but belong together (e.g. pieces of a panorama and the panorama itself, multiple shots of a single subject with the best one on top). I have not actually used this feature yet in IDImage, but I think even Lightroom supports this, and I think it should accompany the "derivatives" type of relationship if file relationships are ever implemented.

The lack of this feature is not a show-stopper for us, but it would be nice to know that it is on the roadmap.

I have one initial question: is there a way to force a refresh of a node in the Catalog Tags tree? I have noticed that when photos are imported from one computer, their tags do not show up quickly, if at all, in the Catalog Tags tree on another computer where Daminion is already running. Of course, closing and restarting Daminion causes all those tags to appear, but I was wondering if there is a way to do that refresh directly inside the program.

Yes. You can refresh the list of tags by Refresh option from the Tags Tree menu or by clicking on the Refresh button:

2013-01-07_192553.gif

I also have a feature request that I hope may be considered at some point in the future:

the ability to establish relationships between files.

Both type of relationships are presented in our feature list: Versions and Stacks. I've added your vote (and votes of other users) for them to our feature list.

Yes. You can refresh the list of tags by Refresh option from the Tags Tree menu or by clicking on the Refresh button:

post-1-0-48112200-1357572486_thumb.gif

Thank you, that worked perfectly. I had tried View | Refresh, which did not refresh the tags; I had not yet found this one.

Both type of relationships are presented in our feature list: Versions and Stacks. I've added your vote (and votes of other users) for them to our feature list.

I am happy to hear that these are on the feature list.