Is Daminion Server the perfect Software for me?

rene

Hey folks,

I currently search for Software which can manage my Photos and Videos. I have the following File-Formats: cr2 (canon raw for EOS 1000d and EOS 650d), mr2 (Minolta raw), tiff, tif, jpg, jpeg, m2ts, mov hd, avi and other hd video formats. Currently I have approximately 600000 Pictures and a few hundred videos. Videos are digitalized analogue and hd videos. I need the Software to write Keywords/Tags and Names of the Persons on the pictures into the metadata without creating a new file. Furthermore, there should be a Server Version, that starts with Windows automatically and a Client Version that will be installed on the Computers in our Home Network. I should be able to create different User-Roles. It should have the possibility to access from the Outside to upload pictures or for me to have a look at it, from anywhere in the world.

I already contacted the Support and got some answers, but I figure I have some more therefore I post them all again here:

1. Is there a Possibility to Access from Outside of the Home Network?

a. Yes, by using Comodo Unite

2. Is there a possibility to scan the folders of pictures for Faces?

a. Now, but there is supposed to be a solution to insert the facetags from Google Picasa

3. Is there the possibility to handle video-formats

a. Yes!

4. Is there the possibility to create User-Roles?

a. Yes, but not in the Home Edition

5. Is there a possibility to write tags and keywords directly into the metafiles of the Pictures?

a. Yes!

6. If I import pictures to the Database, will they stay in the Folder structure I already have? That is necessary, because we have a media-server-software running that streams Photos and Videos to our Televisions.

7. I have a spare Hard-Drives that are plugged in to the Server from Time to Time to perform a Backup, is it possible to have these files updated?

Would you be so kind and answer my last question, so I can decide if I buy the Software?

Thank you winam!

Hi winam,

from my point of view Daminion is the right software for you. Some of your features are still to develop but that's ok.

I don't understand your question 7. These spare disks are your backup drives and their content depends on your backup strategy. What does it mean "to have these files updated".

Regarding question 6. Yes they can stay in your folder structure. But you can decide to import the files to the folders directly controled by the server (this can be the source folders of your streaming software) or to import them by reference and to leave them where they are.

Regards, Uwe

6. If I import pictures to the Database, will they stay in the Folder structure I already have? That is necessary, because we have a media-server-software running that streams Photos and Videos to our Televisions.

Daminion offers you two options:

1. Import files from their original locations without Moving or Copying them

2. Copy files to a new located (on your NAS or Server based folder) and the import copied files.

So the first option works in your case. But in case of the Daminion Server the importing files should be located on shared location to enable the option #1.

7. I have a spare Hard-Drives that are plugged in to the Server from Time to Time to perform a Backup, is it possible to have these files updated?

Do these drives contain work copies of your images or these disks are for backup only?

What do you mean by updated these files?

Hi winam,

from my point of view Daminion is the right software for you. Some of your features are still to develop but that's ok.

I don't understand your question 7. These spare disks are your backup drives and their content depends on your backup strategy. What does it mean "to have these files updated".

Regarding question 6. Yes they can stay in your folder structure. But you can decide to import the files to the folders directly controled by the server (this can be the source folders of your streaming software) or to import them by reference and to leave them where they are.

Regards, Uwe

Thanks for the answer.

Daminion offers you two options:

1. Import files from their original locations without Moving or Copying them

2. Copy files to a new located (on your NAS or Server based folder) and the import copied files.

So the first option is works in your case. But in case of the Daminion Server the importing files should be located on shared location to enable the option #1.

Do these drives contain work copies of your images or these disks are for backup only?

What do you mean by updated these files?

These Disks are Backups only. But after I have tagged all images I will need to have the tagged exif-data in the images updated to the backup, so this work won't be lost.

But it realy looks great. I currently try the trial period and I might order.

thanks

Hi winam,

my Default mode is: synch = on.

That means:

1. all tags you enter or changes you made are written immediately into the file on the disk and in the Daminionion database.

2. Theses Information are in the backup of your files. And if you make a daily backup you are up to date on daily basis with your files and their tags.

3. If you make a daily backup of the device with the Daminion database it keeps your database and files sychnronized.

Regards, Uwe

Hi winam,

my Default mode is: synch = on.

That means:

1. all tags you enter or changes you made are written immediately into the file on the disk and in the Daminionion database.

2. Theses Information are in the backup of your files. And if you make a daily backup you are up to date on daily basis with your files and their tags.

3. If you make a daily backup of the device with the Daminion database it keeps your database and files sychnronized.

Regards, Uwe

Okay, thank you! I like Daminion more and more from day to day, eventhough I do not use it by now.