Thumbnails size required

SergeS

I am in process of changing my computer, so I have now old and new PCs, both are in front of me.
I have installed Daminion on new one and have stopped Daminion Server on the old one.
I have intentionally decided to not backup-restore Daminion catalog, but, instead of, create brand new catalog on new computer by adding photos from the scratch.
I have relatively big catalog, 100K+ photos (practically, no videos) saved on network drive (NAS) so I could expect I will take long time, this is not my concern for now 🙂.
My concern is space taken by thumbnails. On new computer is less than half catalog (42K photos for now) had been already added and thumbnails folder takes already 175GB. I have only 1TB disk, I do not really expect to spend half disk for Daminion thumbnails... On old computer, where all photos had been added, thumbnails folder takes 44GB, see screenshots to compare. "Limit maximal JPEG preview size by" is set as 100 Megapixels on both computers.

Could please anybody clarify my questions:
1) What can make so big difference?
2)  What does really "Limit maximal JPEG preview size by" setting means? 
3) How to estimate required thumbnails folder size based on total number of photos, setting mentioned above, resolutions, so on, in advance? 175GB of thumbnails is OK for around 42K photos?
4) What other settings may effect on such space?
5) Are there any other recommendations on how to minimize taken space? Is this possible to have thumbnails on the other drive? On the network drive?

image.png.d76f21ea8b4223b0bb380407b8e914fb.png

image.png.71aaff52843b0a640be2007b0933178d.png

Hi Serge!

Not answering to your question, but related to your setup. I'd recommend you to also create a copy of your original database in your new PC, and run my DamCompare program. If not all your tags have been written into the files, this program will detect the differences, and you can fix them in your new database.

• Like 1

Hi Serge, 

1) What can make so big difference? -- Probably on the old PC not all files had thumbs generated, or mid-size previews and/or accelerated previews have not been generated

2)  What does really "Limit maximal JPEG preview size by" setting means? - Accelerated preview - preview size generated for large files like TIFs, PSD etc when opening  them in full screen in the desktop client

3) How to estimate required thumbnails folder size based on total number of photos, setting mentioned above, resolutions, so on, in advance? 175GB of thumbnails is OK for around 42K photos? - Please check it out here: https://daminion.net/docs/system-requirements/

4) What other settings may effect on such space? - Enabled accelerated preview and mid-size previews (used for web client and to send the files for analyzing fby Face Recognition). If FR is on, mid-size previews are generated automatically.

5) Are there any other recommendations on how to minimize taken space? Is this possible to have thumbnails on the other drive? On the network drive? - We do not recommend having thumbs on the network drive, especially if you decide to use Face recognition and/or web client. You can disable Accelerated previews and delete the "previews" folder in  Thumbnails. In this case when opening big files in full screen in the web client, Daminion will generate the preview on the fly which will take more time. 

Thank you, Daria,

Will look closely on my settings, I already see some problem/conclusions for me:

1) I am not using web access (neither FR), but it is enabled on my setup (on both computers), so I am wasting around 30-40 GB on 100K photos. How to de-activate it? Sorry, cannot find...

2) "Accelerated preview for large files" (also enabled on my setup) is the biggest contributor, it takes 100 - 500GB on mine 100K photos. So, 175GB on 40K photos seems like perfectly valid... Btw, most of my files are big raw files (.NEF), does accelerated preview for large files effect for them, too? System requirements link mentions BMP, TIFF, PSD only.
image.png.4325e5ba2d8b27d44eef430b2fda4157.png

Thank you again for explanations.

6 hours ago, Daria Kotilainen said:

1- Do you have Face Recognition activated? If so, mid-size previews will be generated automatically. If no, they will not be generated, until you open the files in full screen in the web client for the first time. 

No, Face Recognition is de-activated.

And I do not know how disable web-access. If I unselect this checkbox, close and open this window again - it is still selected...

image.png.5cd04c97af4eb9628cd58d552d6ab153.png

52 minutes ago, Daria Kotilainen said:

Because web catalog is created automatically, you can open IIS > Default Web Site > Remove daminion
Please go to Thumbnails folder to see if "mid-size" sub-folder has been created

I have stopped IIS. Daminion Server Administration panel shows now Web Access is deactivated, but checkbox "Generate medium-sized jpeg preview" is still always selected and "mid-size" folder is there. 

Ok, thank you, will play more.