How to access outside of network?

corintography

Hi All,

I've setup Daminion server and can successfully access on the network locally. I have other media servers and security systems setup for access outside my network via port forwarding.

Setup info:
Daminion installed on a Windows 10 Pro VM running on a QNAP NAS

To access Daminion on the local network i need to put 192.168.1.x/daminion

I have a static IP address and I've tried port forwarding 8082-8084 to the VM IP but i get taken to the default windows IIS page.
I've also tried editing the web.config file but it already includes /daminion as the default document.

Without setting up a VPN (i'll look at that later) - how can I redirect/access daminion web server outside the network?

Thanks,

Josh

8 hours ago, corintography said:

I have a static IP address

Even with a static IP address, you probably need to configure the firewall in your router to accept requests from the Internet for that port. If you want to use it only by yourself, setting up VPN is a more secure solution.

Tid is of topic, but there has been a lot of discussion earlier in this forum of running Damion server (natively) in a NAS. I tried to install it on Vine as I didn't have a Win Server license, with no success. The argument from Daminion team has been that the performance of a NAS box is not adequate. How does your system perform? Have you noticed performance issues in certain operations?

Juha

8 hours ago, lintujuh said:

Tid is of topic, but there has been a lot of discussion earlier in this forum of running Damion server (natively) in a NAS. I tried to install it on Vine as I didn't have a Win Server license, with no success. The argument from Daminion team has been that the performance of a NAS box is not adequate. How does your system perform? Have you noticed performance issues in certain operations?

Juha

I'm running a fairly high end NAS which is basically a PC: https://www.qnap.com/en-au/product/tvs-682t

You don't need a Windows Server Licence, Win 10 Pro is more than fine. What NAS do you have?

I am using the NAS in the base configuration and it is OK performance wise, certainly fast from the client side on my Mac, but the Windows VM is a little slow but it's currently running maxed out importing and indexing. I'll have a better idea once I get everything ingested, However I plan to upgrade the RAM to 32GB and I have the ability to upgrade to an i7 processor if needed.

This NAS also runs SSD's and M.2 Cache with Gbe and Thunderbolt so it's quite suited to the task. I wonder if many people have NAS this powerful who are Daminion customers? If they did they could just run a VM. Lower cost versions I think would be able to run the server natively though, as they wouldn't need the overhead of running Windows..it would also open it up for customers as an easier setup because it's quite involved setting up VM's, Storage, VPN's etc. That said the existing server relies on Microsoft Services and IIS etc. To build something for Linux/QNAP/Synology would require a lot of work.