2010 - 2416 Creation DateTime RAW-XMP file

Uwe

Hello,

if I adjust the "Creation DateTime" of a CR2 file in the Properties Panel the adjusted value is in the XMP sidecar file - this is ok.

But if I call "Read Tags from File" now, I get the old value back because of the way Daminion reads the tags:

EXIF:DateTimeOriginal, XMP:EXIF:DateTimeOriginal, IPTC:DateTimeCreated, XMP:Photoshop:DateCreated,
Video:CreateDate,File:CreationTime

The EXIF:DateTimeOriginal of the CR2 file was not changed by the manual adjustment because of the settings in the  Admin Panel->Preferences->Add camera RAW support->Write tags to sidecar .xmp...

From my point of view this is a bug. If I use the RAW settings as described, Daminion shoud read the XMP sidecar first if a sidecar XMP file exists.

Regards, Uwe

Edited by Uwe
add new build info

Hi,

I have also pointed this two years ago.

I think we should also discuss the pros and cons, if for the creation time there would be an exception and that would also be updated in the RAW file itself. Many tools (e.g. RAW editors may use the EXIF data as the primary source) and then the non-updated creation time would be reflected into JPEGs or other end results.

-Juha

Hi.

yes but which way we should go?

Change the settings in the Daminion Preferences to "write to EXIF/IPTC/XMP - very slow" - not yet tested what means "very slow". The result is a changed RAW file. But DNG is also a RAW format originally created by some manufacturer and not from the Adobe DNG converter

E.g. the initial DateTime is: 2019-10-26 10:24:25 the canged by Daminion: 2019-10-26 15:24:25

• DxO PhotoLab3 ignores the DateTimeOriginal of the XMP sidecar file and read the Exif from the RAW file: 2019-10-26 10:24:25
  • Capture One V12 (depending on the setting in the Preferences) reads the DateTimeOriginal from the XMP sidecar file and not from the Exif of the RAW if the XMP sidecar exists
    Either: 2019-10-26 10:24:25 or 2019-10-26 15:24:25 depends on the settings
  • darktable read the Exif DateTimeOriginal: 2019-10-26 10:24:25
  • in Photoshop CS6 the XMP DateTimeOriginal from the sidecar file is shown in the RAW tab as:   
    <exif:DateTimeOriginal>2019-10-26T15:24:25</exif:DateTimeOriginal>,
    <photoshop:DateCreated>2019-10-26T15:24:25+02:00</photoshop:DateCreated>
  • in Bridge CS6 it's shown as: 2019-10-26 15:24:25 and this time stamp is used to rename the file
  • XnViewMP handles the XMP sidecar together with the RAW but ignore the XMP DateTimeOriginal in the sidecar file and read the EXIF DateTimeOriginal from the RAW
  • Use Daminion->Export->CopytoFolder->JPEGOriginal->Rename (%date_%time-%ms.%ext) writes 2019-10-26 15:24:25 to the EXIF DateTimeOriginal of the JPG file

regards, Uwe

• 1 year later...

build 2416 - it still a serious problem/bug to manage RAW files.

E.g. the EXIF time stamp, Initial DateTimeOriginal = 14:00:00, SubSecTimeOriginal = 55 -> file name = 20210329_140000-550.CR2

1. Change Creation DateTime in the Properties Panel -> the tag in the sidecar file is changed. (e.g.  to 14:00:05) in the CR2 file the tag still is 14:00:00
  2. Batch-Rename by "%date_%time-%ms.%ext" -> the tag from the sidecar is used but because there is not tag SubSecTimeOriginal tag in the sidecar -> %ms = 00 -> file name = 20210329_140005-000.CR2
  3. Read tags from file -> the tag from the CR2 file is used but wrong because of the change in step 1 -> file name 20210329_140000-550.CR2

Please fix asap before the official 7.0 is released.

Regards, Uwe

• Uwe changed the title to 2010 - 2416 Creation DateTime RAW-XMP file