[1904] Bug Report: Comment Tag empty after Version Control -> Check Out/Check Iin

WilfriedB

That's what I was believing too, but I only found these options now:

image.png.e367022ffc3801d8ae3fd0e60ca08078.png

"Add Camera Raw format support" should not apply to JPG, but I tried several options without succes.

Does this page look different for you, Uwe? If so, the reason might be that I only have the "Home Server" license ...?

I finally found an application (PhotoElf) which allows to edit the EXIF User Comment. So, I added a comment to an image and performed a Read Tags from File. Daminion was able to read the new comment, but after changing it, neither Sync nor Write Tags to File would change it in the metadata:

image.thumb.png.4b9d81890e75e670ea4723a2c9f828e3.png

not in my case. I used the program Metadata++ to modify the User Comment Tag, then Daminion Read Tags from File -> it's updated in the Properties Panel -> modified teh Comment Tag in the Properties Panel and saved -> ok, no problem

26 minutes ago, Uwe said:

not in my case. I used the program Metadata++ to modify the User Comment Tag, then Daminion Read Tags from File -> it's updated in the Properties Panel -> modified teh Comment Tag in the Properties Panel and saved -> ok, no problem

Thanks Uwe. It doesn't make any difference for me: I can add or edit a comment also with Metadata++, Daminion is able to read it, but after changing it in Daminion, the changes are never written to the metadata.

Coming back to my earlier post: Does the panel "Writing Metadata" in your Server Administration look the same as mine? I assume this is were the option "Metadata Style" was in the past.

Hello Daminion Team,

it seems to be a difference between Team Server and Home Server regarding the handling of the Comment Tag.

Wilfried: Home Server - Comment Tag not saved into the file

Uwe: Team Server - Comment Tag saved into the file

Local Catalog: Comment Tag not saved into the file

Regards, Uwe

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Daria Kotilainen said:

this option has been disabled for the server version in Daminion 5.5 

Daria, please have a look at my original statement, when I opened this post: "If the Comment Tag contains any text and you use Version Control to check out the item, the Comment Tag is empty after checking in again."

I can understand if Daminion avoids to change the Exif Comment (as opposed to IPTC of XMP). My main point is the fact, a comment completely disappears without any way to recover it, after checking out and checking in an item.

• 1 month later...

This seems to work correctly* now in Build 1960 - at least according to my test with three images :thank_you2:👍

* With "correctly" I mean, Daminion recovers the content of the Comment tag when checking in an item as it was, when the item was checked our. It will not be written to XMP or EXIF (i.e. I did not see it there), which is fine with me and I did not test with other unsynchronized tags.