Daminion Server on a Synology NAS

Paul Barrett

I'd like to raise, again, the issue of Daminion Server on a Synology NAS, the number one Feature Request.

So far it has been rejected due to the "low power of NAS drives," something which a lot of us have questioned.

Answering a completely unrelated question from Rene, something caught my eye in his signature block - his Windows server spec::

Server-Information: HP Data Vault X311 - Microsoft Windows 10 Professional -

Intel Atom D510 Dual Core 1.6GHz - 4GB-RAM - Daminion Server

By comparison, here are the specs for my Synology NAS:

• CPU: INTEL Pentium N3710
  • CPU clock rate: 1.6 GHz
  • CPU cores: 4
  • Total physical memory: 8192 MB

4 cores running at the same speed per core as Rene's 2. Double the RAM

Benchmark tests reveal that the Pentium processor outperforms the Atom:

• Multi core = 3.1 x faster
  • Single core = 2.3 x
  • AES Single Core = 15.7 x
  • Passmark = 2.9 x
  • Passmark single = 2.1

Here's the source:

post-3427-0-03473200-1541180672_thumb.jpg

So, ironically, Rene would no doubt love to have my "underpowered" processor in his slow server - the slow server that is already running Damion.

Meanwhile, my "underpowered" NAS is currently running the following:

1. 2 x websites
  2. Photo Station
  3. Daminion library location
  4. Moments
  5. Email server
  6. bliss
  7. Music Server
  8. Cloud sync to Amazon
  9. Note Station
  10. Synology Drive
  11. Synology Office
  12. Synology Surveillance Station
  13. DNS server
  14. Calendar app
  15. CardDav server
  16. Synology Chat

and it is doing all of that without breaking a sweat. The system load is currently:

• CPU - 30%
  • RAM - 41%

So could someone please explain to me why we can't have a Synology Package version of Daminion, because i just don't get it.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, rene said:

I'm meanwhile using this machine

terra miniserver e3-1225

Intel Xeon E3 V3 @ 3,10GHz

16 GB RAM

So, are there any success running Daminion on your NAS (where all photos are located) ?
I am right now testing Daminion 7 server trial version installed on my Xpenology NAS (hw is similar to yours) in virtual Windows 10 OS. It works, but does not looks faster 🙂, hopefully will do more testing on weekend.

I believe to have Daminion native package on NAS will be really beneficiary, may help to bypass network bottleneck... But seems like no luck 😞

I think our best hope is that our "underpowered NASes" are now sufficiently powerful that with plenty of RAM, the newer higher spec + models are capable of running Windows in a VM.  I think that's the way to go.  It's a delicious irony though that the NASes that are declared by Daminion to be incapable of running Daminion, may well be able to do not only that, but also to run two extra layers in the stack, the VM and the Windows OS to enable Daminion to run.

Realistically, this has never really been about the power of the NASes.  Daminion just wants to concentrate on its major revenue stream, which is in the Windows space.  It's odd when you consider how many web servers now run Linux.  But it is what it is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paul Barrett said:

It's a delicious irony though that the NASes that are declared by Daminion to be incapable of running Daminion, may well be able to do not only that, but also to run two extra layers in the stack, the VM and the Windows OS to enable Daminion to run.

🙂 and 😞 

23 hours ago, SergeS said:

I am right now testing Daminion 7 server trial version installed on my Xpenology NAS (hw is similar to yours) in virtual Windows 10 OS. It works, but does not looks faster 🙂, hopefully will do more testing on weekend.

Quick test shows it failed :-(.
Adding 1000 photos in new catalog, import process stopped after 15 images processed. With no visible error messages, indicator is still rotating, but numbers are not changing anymore. Since it is experimental setup on virtual OS - I will not play with this anymore for now, have no time. but will keep it in mind, will be back on this 🙂