Daminion New User Questions

rau

Hi

I've recently purchased Daminion and am moving slowly to migrate my photo library into Daminion. I have been a user of Windows Photo Gallery (WPG) for many years, but as you may know, Microsoft has withdrawn that program, despite having nothing equivalent to offer now.

My first questions as a Daminion user relate to "Location" Data.

Q1) WPG stores (at least under some circumstances) Photo location information in the IPTC ExtensionLocationCreated fields. However, I have noticed that Daminion does not appear to "see" this information in images (imported into Daminion). I am looking in the "Place" fields in the Properties pane.

Can you explain this? Is there anything I can do to cause the Location information in my images to be incorporated into Daminion's view of my images?

Q2) I note Daminion picks up Lattitude & Longitude information. Does Daminion offer any means to translate that information into Location information (Country, City, State, Location)?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Rau,

1 - Daminion picks up Place from this fields:

IPTC:Country,

IPTC:State,

IPTC:City,

IPTC:SubLocation,

XMP:Photoshop:Country,

XMP:Photoshop:State,

XMP:Photoshop:City,

XMP:Iptc4xmpCore:Location

You can also check our mapping rules list here

2 - Nope, unfortunately, note. Place tag is not interconnected with GPS coordinates in Daminion and to be filled in manually.

Kind regards,

Daria

Hi Rau,

1 - Daminion picks up Place from this fields:

IPTC:Country,

IPTC:State,

IPTC:City,

IPTC:SubLocation,

XMP:Photoshop:Country,

XMP:Photoshop:State,

XMP:Photoshop:City,

XMP:Iptc4xmpCore:Location

You can also check our mapping rules list here

Thanks Daria.

I examined my photos with EXIFTOOL, and the Location information is shown in fields:

Location Created Country Name

Location Created Province State

Location Created City

Location Created Sublocation

I am a bit of a novice on these various standards and data formats.....but I think the "problem" then is that Daminion pays attention to the Location fields in the "Core" part of the IPTC standard, but not the "Extension" section - which is I think where the above data comes from. See attached document (which I realise is probably an old version). [Which is a BIG pain for users moving from WPG to Daminion!] Is it possible that you could introduce functionality to look in the Extension Location fields if there is no data in the Core location fields?

I have thousands of photos with Location information as written by WPG (ie. in the Extension fields). Are you aware of any tools I could use (in a bulk way) to copy the data from the Extension Location Fields to the Core Location fields (so that Daminion picks it up)?

Thanks

IPTC-PhotoMetadata-2008.pdf

Hello rau,

the fasted solution at the moment, without to wait for new Daminion mapping rules, is the ExifTool. You can copy the content of the IPTC extension fields written by WPG to the IPTC core and additionally to the XMP metadata. This can be done in "one" step depending on your directory structure on the disc.

Can you send an example file please?

Regards, Uwe

Hello rau,

the fasted solution at the moment, without to wait for new Daminion mapping rules, is the ExifTool. You can copy the content of the IPTC extension fields written by WPG to the IPTC core and additionally to the XMP metadata. This can be done in "one" step depending on your directory structure on the disc.

Can you send an example file please?

Regards, Uwe

See the attached image - I think it was scanned from a slide (taken in 1982) and the Location Information (and people information) was added using WPG. The Creation Date was also set in WPG (to be in 1982), though slide scanned much more recently.

If you can show me how to copy the Location info to the place where Daminion wants to see it, and in a bulk fashion - that would be great.

post-4301-0-21012700-1527023123_thumb.jpg

Hello rau,

I use the ExifToolGUI (http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/~bogdan/) to work with the ExifTool.

The command line to create the IPTC metadata from the XMP-iptcExt metadata of all of the selected files is:

-IPTC:Country-PrimaryLocationName<XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreatedCountryName -IPTC:Province-State<XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreatedProvinceState -IPTC:City<XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreatedCity -IPTC:Sub-location<XMP-iptcExt:LocationCreatedSublocation

post-846-0-62905500-1527056259_thumb.jpg

post-846-0-27801600-1527056462_thumb.jpg

Regards, Uwe

Thank you Uwe. I will try this out.

• 3 months later...