Can't assign selected tray items to new keyword tag

Paul Barrett

Hi Uwe

Thanks for the video.

You are keywording items in the thumbnail view. I am trying to do it in the tray, because the selected item in the tray are not present in the thumbnail view,

post-3427-0-45463700-1496218571_thumb.png

Background:

I have a set of holiday photos imported a week ago. I have added them to the tray to form a work queue. As I I tag a group of photos I remove them from the tray. So, at any time, the tray represents my work in progress. However, the images are not present in the thumbnail view.

I have been geocoding and keywording, but then I found that I needed a new keyword. So I performed the steps in the image above. But I can't add the keyword to the items at the time of creation. I have to create it then add them manually afterwards.

I don't understand why this behaviour differs to the thumbnail view.

This is one of those situations in which I wish there was an option that the thumbnail view mirrored the tray so that if you select images in the tray they immediately come into focus in the thumbnail view.

Is there a better way to do what I am trying to do?

Paul

I thought I had found a better way.

There is the To Do list capability.

I put all the tray items in the To Do list in a tag called "Under Review"

That way I can select all items with that tag and have them in the thumbnail window where I can do everything as normal

The downside to that is:

1. It writes the Under Review Tag to the metadata, which is unnecessary and cause delay while 800 files are updated. OK, I can turn off auto-sync, but my workflow starts to get complicated.

2. This tag has the same problem as other tags. If I decide I have finished reviewing the items I have to remove the tag from the items. If I take the simpler, more obvious route of deleting the tag from the To Do list, it gets removed from the catalog but NOT from the metadata

A) "To Do" sounds like a temporary condition, something local to the catalog. So, why is it written to the file? Could we have an option to suppress writing that attribute to the metadata?

B) To DO can be used as a preset when importing files. So I could add all new imports to the To Do List > Review tag (curiously you cannot select a tag from a drop down, you have to type it in [correctly])

That would be a good solution if it were not for the fact that the tag is written to the file, I tried using a Collection instead. But it gets written to the file too.

Is there a tag that ISN'T written to the file?

Hello Paul,

this is my workflow:

20170531_124026.jpg

1. I copy the files from the memory card to the Import folder specified in the catalog preferences by Total Commander.

2. All files in the Import folder were moved to the specified Upload folder automatically. Now I have the items in the catalog and the files in the Upload folder. Daminion creates monthly subfolders below this Upload folder.

3. All items in this Upload folders are my "to do".

4. If everything is done I move the items/files by "Batch Rename(Move)..." using the options "Create Sub-Folders" and "Rename Files".

The Tray is out of focus in this workflow.

Btw, in the video I sent to you I do the keywording two times: the first time with items of the thumbnail window and the second time the same with items of the tray.

Regards, Uwe

Hello Paul,

this is my workflow:

1. I copy the files from the memory card to the Import folder specified in the catalog preferences by Total Commander.

2. All files in the Import folder were moved to the specified Upload folder automatically. Now I have the items in the catalog and the files in the Upload folder. Daminion creates monthly subfolders below this Upload folder.

4. If everything is done I move the items/files by "Batch Rename(Move)..." using the options "Create Sub-Folders" and "Rename Files".

The Tray is out of focus in this workflow.

Btw, in the video I sent to you I do the keywording two times: the first time with items of the thumbnail window and the second time the same with items of the tray.

Regards, Uwe

Funnily, that's pretty much the way I do it with scanned images, that I need to do extensive work on to determine the ttue date taken. But with digital camera images that are dated, I have always allowed the files to go straight into dated folder in the main folder structure.

Out of interest though, are there any tags that are catalog tags only, that I could use for similar purposes? Or does everything get written to the image metadata?

Paul

Out of interest though, are there any tags that are catalog tags only, that I could use for similar purposes? Or does everything get written to the image metadata?

Hello Paul,

it depends on the media format and I never checked it for all of the tags.

E.g.

• Image format: Linking information and Group tags are not in the image
  • Audio format: you can enter something in the tags of the Description chapter in the Properties Panel. They are in the catalog but not in the audio file
  • custom tags are in the image file but not in the audio file

Regards, Uwe

Hi Paul

One tag that isn't written in the file is marked/rejected (the small green/red square). You could use that one of you don't use it for any other purposes.

Juha

Thanks Juha.

That flag is SO close to what I need. I need three statuses (as well as unflagged), If only it was red, amber, green

Paul

Hello Paul,

this is my workflow:

post-846-0-00560900-1496229440_thumb.jpg

I have just hit a problem with this method. You have to be careful to ensure that once the files have been uploaded, they are deleted from the source, I just spent time tagging some imported images, only to find that when I tried to move them into the main library they already existed!

The reason is that images are coming from multiple cameras and smartphones belonging to multiple people who have differing ideas about image retention.I delete the source images from my two cameras as soon as they are uploaded. With my smartphone I like to have some to show people even after they have been uploaded. My father in law wants to keep images on his camera permanently because he can't operate a computer and wants to be able to browse themn the camera.

Also, there are differences in the method of upload, Mostly I use the Daminion import routine, but for my smartphone and tablet, which have no removable media and the gallery is inaccesible via USB connection, I use Synology's DS Photo Uploader (WiFi or 4G). When I use the Daminion upload I can tag automatically, but when I use DS Photo I can't. Those images get sent direct to the NAS drive and Daminion Server picks them up and imports them to the catalogue

So, how do I prevent double uploading AND make sure everything gets reviewed and tagged?

I think I have to import all images to their correct destination - dated folders in the main folder structure. I can set up all DS Photo devices to do that, and with Daminion imports that's easy to do. That will stop duplicate file names with the same date stamp from being re-imported.

Now I am back to my original issue, I need to be able to identify all new images that have yet to be tagged. The only way I can do that is to review the library for new images, tag them as "To Be Reviewed" and then change that tag when the proper tags are in place. The saved searches "Imported Today" "Imported Yesterday" and "Last Imported" aren't always helpful because it may take days or weeks to process a very large batch of imports from multiple cameras.

What would be REALLY helpful,given that not all files are imported through Daminion's importer is for Daminion to have a catalogue only tag that was automatically applied to all files when they first appear in the system - "To Be Reviewed." This tag would be applied whenever the folder watch service or folder rescan detected a new file.

The user could optionally update the tag to "Under Review" so that they could create a batch to work on (in case there are lots to do). There would then be two further tags "Reviewed" and "Marked for Deletion." The user could bring the images with any of those tags into focus in the thumbnail view by selecting the item in the Tags Panel. An image can only ever be in ONE of these statuses (see next para)

For speed of use these system tags should probably be presented as a row of single choice radio buttons in the System section of the properties panel.

If a user selects a number of images in the thumbnail view, they can set all selected images to a new value using the radio button in the properties panel. If the images have a mix of existing values, the radio buttons dim and show which ones are selected. The user can then choose a single value to apply to all selected images by clicking the appropriate radio button and selecting "Yes" on the subsequent confirmation box.

That would work for me.

Thoughts?

Paul