Geolocating from the Tray (1582)

Paul Barrett

Hello,

if one moves an item in the Tray to the map one gets the "+" sign below the cursor. In this case it's a bug because it indicates that a "copy" function is activ.

If it's not a bug because the function is not yet developed to assign geo metadata to an item in the Tray, the "+" sign should not to be there.

Regards, Uwe

Hello,

if one moves an item in the Tray to the map one gets the "+" sign below the cursor. In this case it's a bug because it indicates that a "copy" function is activ.

If it's not a bug because the function is not yet developed to assign geo metadata to an item in the Tray, the "+" sign should not to be there.

Regards, Uwe

Thanks Uwe

So, either way it's a bug. wacko2.gif

Thanks Uwe

So, either way it's a bug. wacko2.gif

Hi Uwe, hi Paul,

I wouldn't call this a bug, just a glitch. Tray + geotagging do work, but not perfectly. When you drag and drop an item in the Tray to the map, GPS-coordinates get assigned, but both the Properties panel and the Map view don't refresh automatically to display these changes. To see the changes in the Properties panel, you need to deselect the items in the Tray and select them again one by one. With the Map it's even worse: you need to re-open it to display the changes.

Registered #4523

Best regards,

Daria

Hi Uwe, hi Paul,

I wouldn't call this a bug, just a glitch. Tray + geotagging do work, but not perfectly. When you drag and drop an item in the Tray to the map, GPS-coordinates get assigned, but both the Properties panel and the Map view don't refresh automatically to display these changes. To see the changes in the Properties panel, you need to deselect the items in the Tray and select them again one by one. With the Map it's even worse: you need to re-open it to display the changes.

Registered #4523

Best regards,

Daria

Well that's the mother of all glitches then! :)

Well I was considering using the tray. But I am probably going to abandon it in the light of what I now know.

Reason:

I am currently scanning thousands of photos and negs.

I import them in batches but when it comes to tagging it's often the case that subjects, location, people etc the images are in no coherent order, and no amount of changing the sort order helps. Stepping through the thumbnails highlighting the ones you want to process works but at times I find it easier to drop items into the tray and work on them there.

That seems like an obvious thing to do with the tray, but is that what it was designed for? Well, even if it wasn't, it's how some people will use it and they will expect it to work.

-------------------------

It seems to me (and others will no doubt disagree, c'est la vie) that you should be able to do, to selected items in the tray, what you can do to selected items in the thumbnail view and that both areas should behave in the same way.

If they don't then the user has to learn an unintuitive behaviour, which is that they must avoid using the tray if they want to perform certain functions. I would suggest that expecting users to learn different behaviours to work around inconsistencies in the product is a poor UX. (Please forgive me, but this is what I did for a living before I retired 11 days ago)

For example, we now know that geotagging is glitchy in the tray.

I also notice that If I select items in the thumbnail view (A in screenshot below) and right click, I have the option to group them (B). If I select the same items in the tray [C] and right click them, I can't group them (D). Why not?

post-3427-0-48670500-1487249739_thumb.png

I concede that if the images are in different folders you can't group them (why not?) but the items I selected are in the same folder..

And IIRC, there was another issue with tray behaviour a few weeks ago.

---------------------------------------

Why am I so concerned about this?

Simple. If your target market is Team Server then inconsistent behaviour in the product leads to several things:

1. Higher training costs for customers
  2. Longer user training
  3. User dissatisfaction
  4. More calls to the superusers for help (distracting them from their work)
  5. More calls to Daminion Support.

Ultimately you see, the fact is that how something was designed is irrelevant, it's how users use it that counts.

Thanks for listening.

Regards

- Paul