Tags that went nowhere!

Paul Barrett

I copied a set of folders from elsewhere on my NAS into the main folder of my Catalog.

Then I decided to move them to a subfolder so I dragged them there.

Next I started tagging them. I did this a screenful at a time, working methodically across from the 1st item, choosing a person, the clicking on any other images where they featured. When the whole screen was done I saved the results then chose another person till everyone was done. Then I moved on to the next image and repeated the process for any new people, and so and so on.

Then, for some reason or other I decided to look at the complete metadata on the first picture.

Imagine my surprise when on doing Actions > Show all Metadata, I saw a warning message to the effect that the file did not exist.

I tried another image - same problem.

When I glanced across at the folder I saw that it had a ? symbol on it. When I hovered on the folder name, a hint text came up saying the folder did not exist.

I went into File Station in Synology DSM and there was the folder, in its correct place, complete with all the images.

Went back to Daminion and did a folder rescan. The ? mark disappeared and the thumbnails now have images.

Checked the metadata on some of the files. No 'image is missing' message but, as I guessed would happen, none of the metadata I had entered was there.

So what is going on?

1. I assume that something went wrong in Daminion when I dragged the folder to its new location using Daminion.

2. The folder moved in Synology DSM so clearly, at the point of moving Damionion had to be connected to the server.

3. The folder looked like it had moved in Daminion.

4. The thumbnails appeared as expected but, at system level, there can't have been links to the underlying images. However, there were no ? symbols in the top left of the thumbnails to indicate broken links. The thumbnails thought they were connected.

5. At no point during the tagging and tag saving process did Daminion warn me that there were no underlying images to write the tags to, so it must have been writing to something, but it clearly wasn't to the image files (and yes, before you ask, Autosync is on)

Can't think of anything else to add. A very peculiar thing happened. I have no idea what.

Any suggestions please?

- Paul

Hello Paul,

what happens if you now use "Write Tags to File"?

I have sometimes a similar problem with the "?". I assume that the NAS was in "sleep mode" when the Daminion Server tried to get access to the file/folder. I use the right-click "Locate in Explorer" to check that everything is ok.

Regards, Uwe

Hello Paul,

what happens if you now use "Write Tags to File"?

I have sometimes a similar problem with the "?". I assume that the NAS was in "sleep mode" when the Daminion Server tried to get access to the file/folder. I use the right-click "Locate in Explorer" to check that everything is ok.

Regards, Uwe

Hi Uwe

Thanks for the reply.

The NAS was not in sleep mode and the catalog was connected.

I didn't tyr 'locate in explorer.' I will try that if there's a next time.

The rescan restored things so write tags to file is fine now.

It's all a bit of a mystery. Perhaps Daria can come up with some ideas.

- Paul

Hello Uwe and Paul,

it's a known issue and it doesn't relate to NAS. At one point Daminion started seeing folders moved from within the program as missing. I've registered the issue 2 weeks ago and today I'll personally remember the guys to fix it as soon as possible.

I'm sorry for the inconveniences!

issue #4482

Best regards,

Daria

Hello Uwe and Paul,

it's a known issue and it doesn't relate to NAS. At one point Daminion started seeing folders moved from within the program as missing. I've registered the issue 2 weeks ago and today I'll personally remember the guys to fix it as soon as possible.

I'm sorry for the inconveniences!

issue #4482

Best regards,

Daria

Thanks Daria. Glad to hear it's a known issue. I thought I was seeing things for a moment.

Whilst we wait for the fix, is it safe to drag folders around in Daminion? Is it a random effect or will it happen every time?

Thanks

- Paul

Thanks Daria. Glad to hear it's a known issue. I thought I was seeing things for a moment.

Whilst we wait for the fix, is it safe to drag folders around in Daminion? Is it a random effect or will it happen every time?

Thanks

- Paul

Sorry, Paul, I don't think it's safe enough. However, if you need to drag a folder, you should always remember to rescan the parent folder where you're moving the folder to.

Best regards,

Daria

• 1 month later...