Closer Integration with Synology Photostation

Paul Barrett

If I apply a star rating to a photo in Daminion the revised tag is written to the file immediately (auto-sync is set to ON) and Synology will recognise the modified file and re-index it into it's database so you can see the results on-line. No operator intervention is needed to make this happen.

If I star rate a picture in Photo Station the file is immediately updated on the NAS, but the change won't be reflected in Daminion until I read the tags from the file - if I remember to do it, and if I could remember which files to do it on. Because of that my only solution is to apply the 'read tags from file' action to the entire library - which takes hours to complete.

Daminion needs a way to integrate more closely with Synology Photo Station, or needs some kind of folder listen' service to pick up changes in the metadata on the files, like Photo Station does.

Thanks

Paul Barrett

Hi Juha

Yes that would solve it but I am running this on a Synology NAS not on a Windows Server so I can't run the server version, or can I?

Regards

Paul

PS. Of course the perfect solution would be if Daminion had a Synology Packaged App I could use on my NAS. Synology has to be one of the leading NAS vendors. They claim to have 1,000,000 customers

Edited by Paul Barrett

Hello,

the File Watching Service works on the internal discs of Windows and not for files on an external disk (like USB or NAS).

To watch the files on external disc you can use the the Daminion Server. There is such a function. You can set the time interval (>= 3 min) and the folders you want to watch.

Regards, Uwe

Hello Paul,

yes that's right. I'm running the Daminion Server Service on a Windows 10Pro Edition PC.

I'm not at home at the moment (hiking trip) and use the Free version of the Daminion client the next 2 weeks on a Windows 7 laptop. Therefore I don't know if there is a difference between the free and licensed version of the Daminion standalone client regarding these functions.

Regards, Uwe

Hi Uwe

Interesting!

I think I might need to look into this some more.

My only reservation is that I am on Win 10 Home so I am not sure whether it will support all the Windows components I might need like, I don't know.... IIS for example?

I'll think on it some more

Enjoy the rest of your hiking trip - and thanks for all your help

Regards

Paul