Previews...

Germie

Hi folks,

I find that if I import images in server home, the preview looks like this:

post-2172-0-14868300-1461495049_thumb.jpg

I don't seem to be able the get a bigger preview altough the embedded preview in the raw file is 2400 x 3600 pixels.

In the local database there is a thumb made in folder ...\~thumbs\5\32 of 53 kb and a preview in folder...\~thumbs\preview\5\32 of 602kb.

If I insert the same image in al local database the preview looks like this:

post-2172-0-33589300-1461495059_thumb.jpg

In home server there is a thumb made in folder ...\~thumbs\0\00 of 67 kb and a preview in folder...\~thumbs\preview\0\00 of 44kb.

Is this a bug, a feature or am I doing something wrong?

Regards from Holland

Germ Wind

Hi there Uwe,

First of all: thanks for your fast reply.

Both on the local and server apps the settings is the same:

- accelleratrion enabled

- with a max jpeg size of 100 MB

With the server database I experimented with various settings (accelleration on and off, max jpeg size enabled or disabled) for accelleration.

After "rebuild thumbnails" the result is still and every time the same.

I also created a new, empty home server database and imported a few images.

The results are allways the same: very small previews.

A further test I did was to increase the max jpeg size to 1000000 Megapixels. This also has no effect.

I'm out of ideas at the moment.

Kind regards from Holland

Germ Wind

Hello Germ,

it's very stange. I've made the same test again but used my default "productiv" catalog. I don't have a problem with the RAW file. In the previous test I used a test catalog. But both are shared catalogs.

There seems to be another problem with the RAW files.

Importing a CR2 file to the shared test catalog: no thumbnail preview, no full screen view

Importing a DNG file (converted from the CR2 file) to a shared test catalog: a thumbnail preview, a very small full screen view

Doing the same with my "productiv" catalog: no problem in both cases.

I've sent a video to Murat.

Regards, Uwe

Hi people,

Some additional information on this matter.

In installed 4.1 home server (build 1280) server on my seperate laptop and created a shared database.

I imported some RAW images (RW2 type from Panasonic FZ1000).

Thumbnail and preview were created perfectly.

The I installed 4.5 hove server (build 1443) on this laptop. and opened the shared database.

If I now select an image with 4.5 and click rebuild miniature (or thumbnail or so), thumbnail AND preview change into a white sheet of paper. Newly imported images have the same issue.

At this point Windows has no way to display the raw files as it does not have the required codecs.

Now I installed FastPictureViewer (http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/) and entered the registration key.

This includes also a codec pack for image raw formats. Now thumbs of the images can be displayed in the explorer.

At this moment if I select an image and right click - rebuild thumnail (of miniature), a thumbnail is created and a SMALL preview. My conclusion is that FastPictureViewer generated thiese, not Daminion. That would also explain the long duration of thumbnail building in this new version.

I also noticed that in synchronisation no xmp files are written by daminion. Perhaps this has the same reason?

Hope this info helps and speeds up a solution.

Regards from Holland

Germ Wind

Hi all,

I decided to re-import all my images in a new home server catalog.

Before going to sleep, I installed the latest version (1449) and let it chew on my DNG files.

These are for the most part Sigma X3F files, converted with Adobe DNG converter.

About 7 hours later Daminion home server processed some 1700 images. I fear this proces is going to take a long, long time to complete. The complete set is 26000 imgaes, fortunately for the most part non-dng.

Any tips on how to speed things up?

Regards from Holland

Germ Wind

Hello Germ,

how is the configuration of your landscape? Where are the files, where is the database? SSD or/and harddisc? How do you import the items? By Rescan Folders, by Import (which import option: add, copy...). It's interesting to analyse the log protocoll to see where are the time consuming actions.

Regards, Uwe

Hi Uwe,

First of all: thanks for your quick response.

My images are on a seperate hard drive (e:\photo's) which is a partition on a normal hard drive.

My c drive is a 256 GB Samsung SSD. This is where the postgresql database sits (I think). For this catalog I store thumbs and the Daminion Server Files on the E-drive. I cancelled the import (add to database only). I am trying to finish importing through Rescan folders (add files only). I am not at home at the moment so I cannot access the logfile. I'll take a look when I get home at the end of the day.

I noticed that -when looking in the processes, there a a lot of pstgresql services (> 10) running. Is that normal?

Or should I try a complete uninstall - re-install of the software?

Regards from Holland

Germ Wind

Hello Germ,

I made a test:

1000 files CR2: 25MB-35MB/file

Win7 Ultimate 64bit, Intel Core i7-3770 CPU, 3,40GHz, 16GB RAM

System disc C: 128GB SSD, postgreSQL DB,

Data disc D: 950GB Samsung SSD, files, thumbnails

Import using the option "Add", no presets

Average performance > 100 files/min

The same with a Data disc E: 8TB hard disc, SATA 600: Average performance > 100 files/min

Regards, Uwe

Hi Uwe and Murat,

I noticed that windows defender took a large chunk of processor capacity.

I think (hope) that I've got things going here.

Here is what I did:

- Uninstall Daminion server and client and postgresql

- Delete any existing daminion folders

- removed all existing data, thumbs etc

- restart pc

- reinstall all Daminion server and client

- reconfigure server and client

- disable Microsoft Search

- exclude Image folders, daminion folders and postgresql data folders from visusscanner F-Secure AND windows defender.

- excluded daminion executables and postgresql executables from virusscanner

At the moment the import is running. Almost 1000 files are imported at variable speeds between say 65 and 125 images per minute. I guess it varies per image type. So I'll keep my fingers crossed and daminion running.

Team Daminion, please consider adding instructions to the install program to reconfigure MS Search / Indexer, MS defender / your own virusscanner in case of performance issues.

Regards from Holland

Germ Wind