Comments on linking

lintujuh

Hi!

I tried today extensively the linking function in 1255. It worked smoothly.

My comments based on my experimenting are:

– the workflow Start linking – select images – Finish linking works well

– the "What this item is linked to" counter is not updated during the linking process, it shows 0 all the time

– the linking dialog takes too much space, I had a panorama of 9 images and I had to move the dialog around so that I could select the images (as the images where not consecutive in the window)

– it would be nice to see the hierarchy of the linked images (e.g. like browsing folders or opening the linking dialog from the linked images) – my final panorama jpg is linked to output of 16-bit tiff panorama and to Lightzone recipe of final edits, the tiff pano is linked to individual 16-bit tiff images and to Hugin recipe and the individual tiff images are linked to original RAW files and to Lightzone recipe creating a 4-level hierarchy

– it would be nice to group images per linked level and also nest the grouping – now I have a single group of 31 images matching a panorama stitched from 9 sources, the intermediate results and of the recipes

– I had first forgotten the Hugin recipes from my group and I didn't find how I could easily add the file into the group (but not on top), I found two methods, both requiring extra steps

a) ungroup the original, select the original files + the missing and recreate the group with right top image

b) expand and select the group items and the new file, click the grouping button on the new file (as the original top item has only collapse button), expand the new group and reselect the right top item

-Juha

An addition to my comment "Linking dialog taking too much space". If I dock the dialog to right, then it is easy to select the images. Only problem is, that if you shrink the width of the dialog, the "Start linking", button doesn't scale. Also you cannot change the size of the thumbnail of the image, you can only change the size of "what" and "where" thumbnails. Would it be a good idea to have the image's thumbnail size and also the information displayed linked to the size and information shown in the main pane?

-Juha

It is for information only. You can only link images together, but there is no other functionality. That would be nice though.

It should works with any type of documents that you imported into Daminion - images, docs, videos, etc...

Hello! Great work on the linking system. However, when I show the linked PDF connected with a photo I can't seem to open it in the link panel. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Can you record me a brief screencast video so I can take a look at your steps.

Hi,

I used wrong wording in my comment, I meant files in your catalog, not only images. You can open see the properties of the linked from/to image in the Properties pane, but you cannot double click the image to see it full screen. Also if you have geotagged your images the Map pane shows the information of the image that was selected in the Main window, not the information of the image selected in the Linking pane.

-Juha

• 8 months later...

When you click on a linked image within the linking window, the properties panel will show its metadata. So you can there click on its file name for filtering that image in the browser or to open it in full screen view.

This way you can step back and forth between the linked files in both directions.