[1154] Thumbnail storage area

fhahn

Where is the best place to have Daminion store the thumbnails that it creates? Currently, they are stored here:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Daminion Software\Daminion\Temporary\ThumbnailCache

This is also the drive where the server version of Daminion (3.7.0 Build 1154) is installed to.

My photos are stored on a second hard drive in this computer.

Would it make any difference if the thumbnail cache was stored on D:\ and not C:\?

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

Hello Frank,

I try to keep the system disc "C:" "as clean as possible" to increase the backup performance and because of the size limit (old 128GB SSD). My Daminion thumbnail cache is on a second SSD (1TB) in its own folder.

Regards, Uwe

Frank, the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\... means that your Daminion Server service was launched under the LocalSystem account that is limited by accessing to local files/folders only. If your image archive library might contain images from network location, then please change it to a more powerful account:

https://daminion.net/tutorials/configuring-daminion-server-service

Frank, the C:\Windows\SysWOW64\... means that your Daminion Server service was launched under the LocalSystem account that is limited by accessing to local files/folders only. If your image archive library might contain images from network location, then please change it to a more powerful account:

https://daminion.net/tutorials/configuring-daminion-server-service

All of my photo and video files are stored on a local hard drive D:\ (I have two separate drives, one C:\ and one D:\). I went ahead and changed the account used to start PostgreSQL to my account which has administrative privileges. I also moved the thumnail cache to d: also.

Thanks.

Frank Hahn

• 4 weeks later...

I'm checking in. Is it a good idea to store the thumbnails on a different server?

Now it's:

Daminion Server

Upload files folder -> Fileserver

Thumbnail folder -> Fileserver

or is it better to set the thumbnails on the local Daminion server?

Nope. I recommend you to store thumbnails on the same PC where the Daminion Server was installed. Because the last one frequently accesses them.

• 2 weeks later...