Remove Missing Files From Catalog - command not working

WarriorOne

How do I purge phantom files from Daminion catalog (e.g. files that were deleted from hard drive, but are still in the catalog)?

I deleted several jpg files with Windows Explorer that were previously cataloged with Daminion. Now they show up as "file is offline" in Daminion preview window.

I tried to rescan folders (Catalog->Rescan Folders) and selected "Remove Missing Files From Catalog". However running that command does not remove missing files from catalog.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

offline: there is no access to the folder/disc where the files are located

deleted: there is access to the folder/disc but the files are not there

<br>Similarly how they are currently are implementing to highlight the hierarchy in the tags tree, I can imagine to highlight the complete folder path to an image with a different color or an ? next to each folder/disk to indicate if online or not.

<br>Recently I did remove several files, which were deleted outside of Daminion, but so far, I did not notice, they show up as off-line again. But I'd appreciate another search criteria or predefined saved search "Off-line files". Preferably a new search criteria, which I could combine with other search arguments.

Thanks for the additional comments. I agree that there is probably no way to distinguish between offline files and files that were deleted outside of Daminion but remain in the catalogue. Adding the "?" in the upper right corner of the thumbnail for both offline and deleted was a great first step. I agree with Wilfried that a search criteria for "off line files" is also really needed. That would pretty much solve the problem. The only other minor change is to remove the "Remove Missing Files from Catalog" from the "Rescan Folders" menu.

How do I purge phantom files from Daminion catalog (e.g. files that were deleted from hard drive, but are still in the catalog)?

I deleted several jpg files with Windows Explorer that were previously cataloged with Daminion. Now they show up as "file is offline" in Daminion preview window.

• Is the "Remove Missing Files from Catalog" checked in the Rescan Folders window?
  • Do you work with a local or shared catalog?
  • Can you send me your catalog for analyzing?

Have you ideas how to differ deleted files from offline (disconnected net source, removable disk, etc.)?

There is not visual difference between deleted and offline files. However during the rescan process Daminion checks whether the drive or remote location is accessible and didn't remove files from disconnected devices.

There is not visual difference between deleted and offline files. However during the rescan process Daminion checks whether the drive or remote location is accessible and didn't remove files from disconnected devices.

IMO it is still 'dangerous' to let Daminion automatically remove missing files even if the external storage device is showing that it is present. I assign unique drive letters to my external devices, but it is still possible for them to get assigned the wrong letter when they are plugged in. This could cause Daminion to think that the catalogue drive was connected when in fact it wasn't. In this situation all of the missing files could get wrongly deleted from the catalogue. I much prefer the idea of eliminating automatic deletion of off-line and missing files and adding a search criteria to find them. Once the search is done it is easy to delete them if that is what is really wanted.

Just my thoughts.